Dark Horse Records Partners with BMG, Will Release New Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vitorbastos123, Jan 22, 2020.

1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Anyone that thinks Learning How To Love You is one of the twenty worst songs in the Harrison catalogue should probably direct their attention towards someone else's semi forgotten discography. Heaven forbid.

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I'm already angry at the low placings given to 'Flying Hour' and 'Art Of Dying'. :laugh:

Hep Alien, omikron, forthlin and 5 others like this.
  3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, that was the first shocker for me. I haven't finished the list yet (that website constantly crashes and reloads on me), but overall I think the trajectory of the list is fairly solid. This fan of Gone Troppo was happy to see that most of the album made it into the top 100. Some strange points in the text when the writer was reaching for a pithy quip. ("Dear One" was bad because George wrote it himself? WTF?) I have to see the rest of the list to comment further -- but that's the point of these articles, right? To get people talking (and debating).

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I didn't read on after 100 or so. Especially when Extra Texture was maligned. I knew l was out of sync with the article generator. Extra Texture opinion is a good barometer for me of anyone prepared to opine about Solo George. For instance, l'm not overly attached to Troppo or Somewhere In England. Both major disappointments for me overall and still remain so. Dear One on the other hand has really grown on me after all these years. Quite an exquisite headphone listen as well. The whole album being A1 for me.

5. Sean Murdock

I have an inordinate fondness for SIE and Troppo because they were my entry points for solo George (with LITMW sandwiched in between); I know that those early '80s albums are "flawed" (see how I put that in quotes?) but they were first so they'll always be special. But after those first three I got Dark Horse and Extra Texture, and although they're my least favorite George albums, I appreciate them for what they are, and I do love several songs from both of them.

If Dark Horse could be remixed and something could be done to improve George's voice -- not the hoarseness, the tinny quality of the sound -- then I think the great musicianship would be better appreciated. If Extra Texture could be remixed to have the same sonic oomph that 33-1/3 has, I think it too could win over some new fans. Both albums are a bummer, but you need them to understand George's naughty journey through the '70s. I would be happy to buy a deluxe reissue of both of them.

Vagabond, marklamb, Fabsmith and 8 others like this.
  6. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Speaking of what might be in the Harrison vault…
    The most recent episode of the podcast Something About the Beatles features an interview with Ringo engineer Bill Schnee, who mentions a Harrison demo of “Photograph.”

Not sure if that’s widely known, but news to me.

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That would be very interesting to hear; I wonder if it was made after Ringo took a verse or two to show George and work on it together ? I can imagine George then creating a demo track for Ringo to follow in the studio later on.

8. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Anything from George that has never seen the light of day will be welcome to join my extensive George Harrison collection. He was a brilliant writer, and a tasteful musician who left us way too soon.

I’m also looking forward to any other artists that will be on the label. The Joe Strummer box was beautiful, and I would love to see the Ravi Shankar recordings produced by George get a vinyl release as well.

I’m optimistic about this project from Dhani because in the announcement his last words were “We also will be using this opportunity to make all the custom limited vinyl that we can get away with”.

You gotta love that attitude!!!

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You mean Attitudes! ;)

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, GAW Jr., theMess and 5 others like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Arnie - well we can all dream it will happen...
    One day perhaps?

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George: "I’ll use a pick, you know, whenever you want me to use a pick, or I won’t use a pick at all if you don’t want to me to use it. Whatever it is that will please you… I’ll do it." ;)

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    mikew, Who Cares, Mark Wilson and 4 others like this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Yusuf/Cat Stevens new album 'King of a Land' is now confirmed for release on Dark Horse Records on June 16th. The first single 'Take the World Apart' is available for streaming. Major interview in today's NME.

15. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Just preordered white vinyl from his website.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

And what a beautiful little song, isn't it ?

17. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

In a similar vein, Elliot Roberts just released his breakdown of all the George albums from worst to best. He generally sticks to the main albums and covers the others at the end. I'm sure there will be disagreement with his takes, but I enjoyed his breakdown a lot and found it super refreshing to see an actual George fan talk about his career in-depth.

18. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. This is delightful song, very melodic, very Yusuf. It's interesting to read that one of the songs on the new album is a rock song:

“‘Pagan Run’ took me back to that very confused moment in my life. It’s a great rock song, so you’ve got two things to listen to: the words, and I think it’s musically one of the best rock songs I’ve made.”

Looking forward to hearing this one.

19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I liked his John Lennon one, where he attempted to describe the John and Yoko experimental albums. It was a crackup.

He doesn't always get everything right, but I admire his enthusiasm, as well as other intangible things.

20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Thankfully someone started a separate thread, since I don't always check in to this one.

What became of the new Cat Stevens/Yusuf album?

oboogie, Hep Alien, Who Cares and 3 others like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice Friday running errands, and heard Splinters 'Situation Vacant' playing off the 1st album on Dark Horse records label...

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Not Dark Horse related, but some George Harrison news!

"Legs" Larry Smith - Mr Wonderful

An album by Legs Larry Smith came out last month, featuring Jollity Farm (The Laboratory Mix) with George on ukulele. This song was supposed to be part of a Bonzo tribute album. Smith discusses the track in the book Deeper Undercover, noting that he hoped George could get Ringo to sing it. The project, which was to feature a song by George and Jim Capaldi called Doin' The Bonzo Dog, never came to fruition after producer Gus Dudgeon died. In the book, he also mentioned Oh Keoki, a song he wrote in tribute to George, which also appears on the new release.

@MerseyBeatle

Boognish, Calico, Who Cares and 8 others like this.
  23. Sean Murdock

Oh my, I feel like I've been hearing about "Doin' The Bonzo Dog" for over 20 years ... in fact, I probably have!

24. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Thanks for the heads up Alex. Great to see contributions from George still being uncovered. Have added the album to my want list.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for info @revolution_vanderbilt on George's performance on new Larry 'Legs' Smith album - will have to pick that up soon!

[​IMG]
    Larry, George, Olivia & Mary Tambini​