Dark Phoenix (2019)-New Trailer!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

This is sad. While I haven't cared to watch most of the Marvel movies, 2 that I have really enjoyed (and own) are the first two of the second trilogy.

I was excited that they were going to make a movie of this iconic X Men storyline and now the reviews are that it's just awful.

What a wasted opportunity.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"KILL 'EM ALL, SANSA!"

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

This movie has been getting some really bad reviews. Most people say it's boring and too much like a funeral. Sophie Turner had a hard time containing her English accent. Her acting in the X-Men franchise in general is kind of underwhelming compared to Game of Thrones.

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Why would I buy a ticket to see that actress? She was the biggest bit of nothing on that show.

GodShifter and alexpop like this.
  5. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I got to say, with all respect to Sophie Turner, but I've never been sold on her as an actress. It's like every scene she did in GOT she was on the verge of being upset in how she delivered lines and acted. I'm not saying she's awful, but in no way has she done anything to sell me into believing she can be star.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Agree. Hollywood producers think they know it all.

7. alexpop

Lena Heady is way more impressive.

Tokyo Ghost and Ghostworld like this.
  8. alexpop

The problem I have with Dark Phoenix is the plot is similar to The Last Stand, remake basically.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree with this. I've been looking forward to this movie, hoping it can well improve over the "Apocalypse" misfire. But I fear as long as they are wedded to Sophie Turner as Jean Grey, there isn't much hope. She looks great. But she doesn't have a commanding presence and can't pull off this character. She was okay on GOT when she was the young, timid Sansa of the first two seasons. Then they decided she had to become this calculating "strong woman" but she wasn't convincing at all.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This story will crack you up. To prep Sophie Turner for a tragic scene, Sophie's acting coach took away Sophie's Juul, which had her bawling like Meryl Streep.

https://jezebel.com/if-you-want-to-make-sophie-turner-cry-take-away-her-ju-1835287353

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

How ironic Apocalypse is the better of the two.
    IMDb gave the 2016 film 7/10 score rating. Dark Phoenix, it got a measly 5/9 rating. Ouch !!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  12. alexpop

She’s ok as part of the cast I guess but she’s no lead actor. What a wasted opportunity for X-Men fans.

13. alexpop

Yep.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, those are user reviews, and the film just opened. It hasn't even had one full day in theaters yet. Apocalypse's score is based on 355, 410 user reviews. Dark Phoenix's is based 6, 298 user reviews. Not a fair comparison at this point. Give it some time.

15. alexpop

X-Men silver age comics I wasn’t a big fan though I collected them regardless. Way preferred The Fantastic Four.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. alexpop

Yeah ..straight out the box bad reviews, not good. That’s not to say the film will not be a box office hit.

17. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The reviews are too harsh.

It's ok, I liked the first two acts but the third wasn't very good.

I think people just want to hate for the sake of it nowadays. Very sad. See the Last Jedi and GOT.

I wouldn't recommend it for casual fans but if you have enjoyed the previous films i think you will be ok with this.

Encuentro likes this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I just got back from seeing it and I liked it. I agree, the haters are going to hate. The reviews are indeed harsh. But if you are a fan of the previous ones you will like this.

I think Jessica Chastain was a waste in this movie. Some generic actor could've done her role and it wouldn't have made a difference. I think Sophie Turner does alright as Jean in this movie, unlike what some reviews said.

(By the way, I forgot about the different time lines caused from Days of Future Past. A certain event happened in the movie and I thought to myself, "How is that possible?" Then I remembered the different time lines.)

Encuentro likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Wasn't it Jean herself, who says, "One things for sure, the third movie is always the worst!", in "Apocalypse "?

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Olivia Munn.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I try to ignore this stuff as it doesn't make any sense with the different time lines, and it gives you a headache trying to figure it out.

But one thing bugged me - even in the same time line, from one movie to the next, written by the same person - we see Jean go Phoenix at the end of the last film but then that's completely ignored as we are told she only bonds with the Phoenix force at the start of this one?

Chrome_Head and neo123 like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Bingo.

24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Are there any mid-credit or post-credit scenes?

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think I saw Quentin Quire very briefly at the school, which was cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.