Dark Phoenix (2019)-New Trailer!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

MCU

2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. She never struck me as anything special on GoT. She will cash in thanks to the GoT connection, but if someone asked me "Which Game of Thrones actor could you see someday getting an Oscar nomination?", she would be near the bottom of the list.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Let's face it, The Last Stand was awful and could use a remake. Hopefully Dark Phoenix is a better movie.

4. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

Wow, I was thinking of seeing this one for the hell of it since I have amc a list.
    However after reading that drivel I want no part of this. Hard pass.

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

No

5th-beatle likes this.
  6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm going to see it tonight. I'm not expecting much but I like it because it's X-Men. I don't care for Sophie Turner either. I didn't like Game of Thrones though and I don't see why people think she is a great actress like say Scarlett Johanson or Charlize Theron.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. alexpop

Just seen DP and was unimpressed. Read bad reviews and thought maybe it’s not bad..but I was sorely disappointed,nothing imaginative in the production either. Sure The Last Stand is dated CGI wise, but I could connect with the earlier film‘s actors.

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

How does it compare to Apocalypse?

9. alexpop

The early film I found way more entertaining.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Why don’t you try watching the movie, instead of reading reviews. :) I don’t let critics and fan reviews affect my decision.

Frankly, I enjoyed the movie for what it is.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    tkl7 and Encuentro like this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent movie.

Deserved a better review rating.

DreadPikathulhu and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. A good if not completely inspired telling of a classic X-Men story; it's an improvement over "Apocalypse" but it isn't quite as good as "X2". it does improve "The Last Stand" which was pretty awful and managed to screw up the "Dark Phoenix" story line.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. alexpop

Least favourite X-Men film imo, liked Jessica Chastain. Think The X-Men i( X-Women)n a few years will have all new actors. Complete reboot no doubt. One thing I’m getting tired with is all deaths ( bad guys) disintegration fading into ash is getting a bit boring, all superhero movies that is, though I can’t see it changing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. alexpop

The end fight scene in The Last Stand was mega compared to Dark Phoenix. Wolverine & Jean Grey ..powerful stuff.

15. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Same director wrote the script.

Michael Rose likes this.
  17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I saw it last night. Not bad. I thought some of the reviews were kind of rough on it.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. I will admit the conclusion of The Last Stand beats the conclusion of Dark Phoenix partially because we were more emotionally invested in the characters and the actors playing the roles. I don’t think the character development for Jean Grey or Scott (and no Wolverine) is as well realized in the reboot films.

Kinberg did some things right in both versions unfortunately they are exclusive to those versions. Jessica Chastain was completely wasted in her role.

The ending was a complete senseless copy of the first film where people run at Jean and she does what she does to them in both films. I think it’s absolutely stupid when characters do that and it shows a complete lack of imagination IMHO.

alexpop likes this.
  19. It is and it isn’t. It improves on the things Last Stand screwed up while it has problems of its own including the conclusion which has a story own problems (although it is truer as I recall to the saga). It does miss Wolverine as long as he didn’t dominate the film like he did the other X Men flicks and James Marsdan is a much better actor that the dude playing Cyclops in this film. I’ve yet to see Tye Sheridan in anything where he impressed me.

The Hud likes this.
  20. alexpop

Scouts vs Zombies:D

21. Sorry about the run on sentence. A bit harder to read on iPhone.

22. I think that she performed to her role on GOT; a pretty shallow princess who, through adversity, becomes a hardened, canny one. Admittedly, her journey wasn’t quite as cool as some of the other characters but her trajectory as a character was a mirror image of Tyron’s although he learned further compassion and humanity letting his jaded exterior slide when he discovered hope.

23. I agree. I thought it was pretty good I would give it a B. It’s not great and can’t measure up to what Marvel has largely done in the MCU but it is much better than Apocalypse and The Last Stand or even The Wolverine s a spin off.

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Neither X3 or Dark Phoenix come anywhere near doing the source material justice, which is a shame as I can't see Marvel trying it a third time.

Days of Future Past took a two issue comic with a neat idea and actually improved on it, giving it more depth and it's practically faultless.

X3 and DP took a storyline that ran for a few years in the comic, involving intergalactic genocide and much more, and reduced it down in scope to really not resemble the source material much at all. Both are flawed.

I do think, although it isn't the Dark Phoenix story i wanted, the new film is much better than X3 in telling the story it does in one film. X3 is pretty awful in many ways, with some dreadful casting and very little to redeem it. The new film I think works ok on its own terms.

Encuentro likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Run on sentence...I’ve not heard that phrase since high school

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.