Dark Phoenix (2019)-New Trailer!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

top Five

Days of Future Past
    X-Men: First Class
    X2
    Logan
    Apocalypse

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Top 5:

DoFP
    X2
    Logan
    X-Men: First Class
    Deadpool
    -
    Deadpool 2
    Apocalypse
    The Wolverine
    X-Men (2000)
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    Dark Phoenix
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

lbangs likes this.
  3. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I don't let critics or fan review affect my decision.

Context matters. The context of the reviews is what makes it disconcerting to me.

4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet and ,but as of right now my ranking of my top 5 are...

5) X-MEN1
    4) Days of Future Past
    3)X2
    2)First Class
    1) Logan

The rest:
    6)The Wolverine
    7)The Last Stand
    8)Apokalypse
    9)X-Men Origins Wolverine

The only reason I don't put Deadpool on this list is I consider it it's own mini franchise. I do quite enjoy them for what they are. If I added Deadpool1 to the list it would be my #5. Deadpool 2 would be my #7.

GregM and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Damn, Logan was good, wasn't it?

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Like "X-men origins: Wolverine", "The Wolverine" and "Logan"? :D

;)

7. Chrome_Head

The Wolvie movies did it completely backwards.

PH416156 likes this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

There's gotta be a pattern there somewhere.

9. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I usually agree with the critics 98% of the time, but the dislike of this film leaves me s bit baffled.

It wasn’t the best of the series, but it was better than many superhero films showered with oodles more praise...

Shalom, y’all!

L. Bangs

The Hud, neo123 and Encuentro like this.
  10. David Campbell

It was. It's sort of a shame that X-MEN ORIGINS Wolverine was so poor. There were shards of a great Wolverine movie there. If it had focused on just his origin and his conflicts with Sabretooth and Stryker instead of stuffing it with all the other junk,it would have been a good movie. The Wolverine was pretty decent. It's main failings were it wasn't rated R, and the need to shoehorn a bunch of other uneeded stuff.

If XMEN Origins Wolverine had been better, and The Wolverine would have been more focused and tweaked,Logan would have been a perfect Trilogy capper and you would have a Superhero trilogy that could compete with Nolan's Dark Knight. Instead we have one film that's a turd,one that's decent and a third that's a near masterpiece.

BeatleJWOL and Chrome_Head like this.
  11. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

Dreadfully boring movie. Directed with no imagination. It felt like the majority of the movie was single shots. Especially when FX's were involved. One shot of Storm doing lightning, one shot of Scott shooting his laser, ECT. There was no teamwork between characters, so what's the point of them being a team. The movie looked cheap. I'd say I was disappointed but this series has been all over the place.

Here's hoping Marvel can do something with this franchise that feels like an X-MEN comic.

mr. steak and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Yeah, it's like you're going to tell the origin of Wolverine (which was secret in the comics for decades), which should be enough for one movie, but you're going to shoehorn in a terrible version of Deadpool and a bunch of other forgettable lames? I will say I thought Liev Schreiber's Sabretooth was menacing and great, too bad he never got to come back (they wanted him to make an appearance in Logan, I suspect as the juiced-up clone version of Logan, but Liev couldn't make it due to scheduling).

I think The Wolverine was solid. It had some moments that dragged, but was mostly entertaining. You're right, the PG-13 rating hurt it overall.

Not sure what Marvel can do with the character at this point after Jackman put his stamp on him. If it were up to me, Wolvie would be far less prominent, but would also appear in his full costume with the mask a lot more. About the only thing we haven't seen onscreen.

David Campbell likes this.
  13. alexpop

Quicksilver.

What happened to“ Magneto is my dad“ ?
    All that build up in previous X-Men films was to no avail.

14. David Campbell

I honestly hope when the X-Men appear in the MCU, they leave Wolverine on the shelf for awhile longer. I'd like to see them start with Xavier,Cyclops, Angel,Beast and Jean Grey ( but call her Marvel Girl finally!) With Magneto as the villain,and that's it at first. Approach it like the comics did with the original team and build up over time. Bring in Wolverine with the "new" team of Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler,etc. For the third movie.

I just hope they refrain from making Wolverine the main focus of the franchise like Fox did. I love the character,but he's been the Star of 7 of the 12 X-films to date.

lbangs and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. David Campbell

Now that Magneto is a part of the Marvel Universe, they could easily bring him in logically as Scarlet Witch's biological dad. I know the comics retconned Magneto's parentage of Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver away in recent years,but to me that will always be the real canon. Apparently one of the Disney plus Marvel shows will Star Scarlett Witch. Perhaps they could introduce MCU Magneto/Eric Lesherr there.

alexpop and Chrome_Head like this.
  16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Your top 5 are the same as mine in the same order.

Logan definitely is the best movie of the franchise (was my favorite movie of that year, followed by WW and It.)

I also don't count the Deadpool movies.

17. Chrome_Head

In one of the many "How would the MCU introduce the X-Men" discussions I participated in online, there was much hand-wringing over "how do you introduce them and why were they sitting out the world-ending conflicts of the 10 years of the MCU?". I thought Liz Olsen's Scarlet Witch was the key, in that she was using her powers along with Xavier to hide the existence of mutants from the world. And the main members of the team that would have been too young to get into the fight during the last 22 films, will come of age in the first MCU X-Men.

I don't mind the core 5 being done first and done right, but I grew up in the 80's, so the best X-Men incarnation for me will always be the one with Nightcrawler, Rogue, Storm, Colossus, Wolvie and Cyclops. Though the 90's X-Men team as drawn by Jim Lee was similarly iconic.

David Campbell likes this.
  18. David Campbell

It also occurs to me that if taken on its own without the sequels,First Class could have easily worked as a way to bring the X-MEN and mutants into the MCU. Only major changes would be having Moira and the first team of X-Men work for SHIELD instead of the CIA and throw in a Howard Stark or Hank Pym mention or even a cameo,and boom. Unfortunately the ship has long sailed,but if only...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    lbangs and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Maybe they should've gotten Quentin Tarantino for this one?

Hot chick in skintight costume goes on a cosmic tear; soundtrack includes Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin' For You, Arthur Brown - Fire, The Cult - Fire Woman and The Rolling Stones - Play With Fire.
    [​IMG]

20. alexpop

Miss Olsen deserves a better outfit than her frumpy look.

21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Saw the movie and enjoyed it just fine.

Not perfect by any means but the RT rating feels waaayyy off with this one.

Encuentro and alexpop like this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've heard it suggested that Kit Harington would make a good Wolverine. What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

Curveboy and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

Had the Cat Stevens look for GOT, not enough gravitas+small to handle the Wolverine mantel.

Matthew Tate and Encuentro like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They are both dead. :)

Just got back from Dark Phoenix. I liked it a lot. No where near as bad as I had heard from the reviews.

See it in Dolby Cinema if you can, the Dolby Atmos really shines with this film--maybe the best I have experienced.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Wolverine is supposed to be short — it was one area in which Hugh Jackman was actually wrong for the role.

BeatleJWOL and Jim B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.