Darkvoice or Liquid Platinum for HD650

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 23jim, Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 23jim

23jim Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Last question. Down to these 2 choices, any votes.
    HD6xx and Darkvoice 336 or
    HD660S and Liquid spark amp

Both driven by Dac from LG V40 until Modi Multibit replaces it.
    Looking for non fatiguing, 3D resolving with good imaging, musical perfection.
    Music everything from classic rock (Eagles to Pink Floyd to Rush), 90's rock (Everything), some metal (Metallica & Megadeth) and a bit of country rock (Steve Earle) and jazz (Kind of Blue, Mike Stern)

2. 23jim

Decided on splurging for HD660S over HD6xx due mainly to better imaging and maybe better with faster rock (i.e. YYZ). Was $319 vs $200

Did include balanced cable as a plus too.

The lower impedence means I can probably get away with solid state amp or hybrid so little or no tube rolling will probably save me well over $120.

I will try in my LG V40 as well which drives my 120 ohm HD590's effectively.

Although I will probably still add an amp. The Liquid Spark looks like a nice pairing and should add a bit of smoothness.

Of course other amp suggestions are more than welcome.

3. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Great choice. Let us know how you like it. I'm a fan of Schiit Audio products. ..

My amp recommendation would be either Asgard 3 or new Schiit Vali 2+ (for a little tube flavor). No balanced in either sorry.

23jim likes this.
  4. 23jim

I went ahead and finally made a decision.

Lots of class A American made power for $230 shipped and taxed with a 5 year warranty, how could I not at least try an Asgard 3?

I will report back my thoughts on its pairing with the HD 660S after the New Year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.