Darlington Labs Phono Preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJSpinner, May 2, 2021.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Would a custom MP-7 benefit me?
    Gain 36 dB or even lower
    Cartridge rated 3.5 mV ~ 0.220 mV

Current unit is a Mac MA6300 built in:
    Gain 40 dB, 0.35 V with my cartridge
    Preamp sensitivity 0.25 V for rated output
    Preamp gain of 12 dB
    SN 90 dB at 10 mV, 81 dB at 3.5 mV

Would it be noticeable to use an outboard with lower gain, 36, or even lower, and let the preamp perform the gain?

My cartridge is good, but not great, but I plan on moving to a HOMC of - the same output.

thanks

2. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

The MA6300 just uses a simple nondescript opamp phono stage with negative feedback equalization, one single unidentified opamp IC per channel, with cheap electrolytic coupling capacitors on the input and in the feedback loop, so regardless of gain structure, I'd guess the MP-7 would be a huge upgrade in your case. In any case, I think it is safe to say it embodies a completely different design philosophy.

But to be fair, many inexpensive phono preamps would likely be an upgrade as well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  3. krichard2496

krichard2496 Forum Resident

We have updated the website to allow all combinations of MP-7 and Rear LED - standard jacks, Cloned C805 style, and Genuine CMC-805.

We also clarified the wording for the rear LED - a user can still choose the color and brightness even on a rear LED (this is more of a website limitation but it's not a problem...most people are choosing Blue w/Std brightness for a rear LED anyway).

>>oes it just save some cost because the front panel doesn't need to be drilled and finished?
    The poster above is correct. The reason that an LED on the front panel is $20 is that the additional drilling and finishing step adds the potential for marring the surface and more complex alignment and final assembly procedure. We originally anticipated that a rear LED would be chosen to minimize cost, but we find some users like the unobstructed view and clean front panel of no front LED.

Manimal likes this.
  4. Ingenieur

Thanks
    I noticed that when I referenced the manual to adjust bias.

In some ways simplicity is better, but I guess this depends on the quality of the op amp.. As far as feedback, if properly applied, imo not a big issue, but I guess none is better if you can build an amp that doesn't need it.

I've looked at other stuff but the only one that caught my eye was the CA Duo, but this Darlington seems like a better design and higher quality components/build. Not sure my system warrants it but it will be an improvement even if I only yield a portion of its full performance.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

There is an idea expressed by some circuit designers that loop feedback in an active RIAA equalization stage can emphasize tick and pops which a no-feedback, passive RIAA stage will not. I has to do with how the feedback has to respond to the sudden, high level, transient of the noise. I'm not a circuit designer so I'll let @krichard2496 explain if he cares to. Certainly what I'm hearing with the mm-6 is significantly less obtrusive, more or less vanishingly so, noise of that sort.

6. fried

fried Forum Resident

Just a question for anyone in the know. Are these going to be available in Europe?

7. krichard2496

We do sell to Europe.
    European buyers can email us directly as our website doesn't support international addresses.
    We can use Paypal to accept the transaction in your local currency.
    230VAC power cubes are available at no additional cost.

fried likes this.
  8. Ingenieur

I'm not sure there is a connect, but Darlington is a topology that uses 2 (or more) transistors in series, gain 1 x gain 2. Since gain is much smaller, each gain has much lower distortion.
    And it doesn't work well with negative feedback, possibly unstable.
    In Darlington each gain is 10 x (20 dB).
    Less distortion per stage, no need for feedback.

[​IMG]

Dan Steele and Leao like this.
  9. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I like much of the design philosophy, particularly the high voltage aspect. Being in Canada and not being able to calculate shipping is a problem for me. Sometimes it's reasonable, sometimes not. UPS is non starter because they're crooks.

While I think about it, is a round figure possible?

10. Davey

You can buy through ebay.ca too, not sure if that makes it easier, but shipping cost is posted in the ad ... Darlington Labs MM-6: Discrete Audiophile J-FET RIAA Phono Preamp, Zero Op Amps | eBay

Opriv, StephMess78 and Ripblade like this.
  11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Anyone else find it ironic that krichard2496 makes such good phono preamps? ;)

Opriv, elvisizer, myles and 2 others like this.
  12. Davey

Hehe, I always kind of wondered about that 2496 myself, not like it was needed here, coulda just used krichard, but I guess had to add it other places like ebay to register the name so wanted to be consistent, probably responds to questions on a few boards :)

13. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

14. Ingenieur

15. krichard2496

I've had that email with a major provider since Feb. 2000 and at that time, 24 bit/96K was considered upscale, and about 3 people total have mentioned it in 20 years.

16. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Received my MM-6 with mono switch today and am testing it out on some Blue Notes. Sounding good so far! I’ll follow up with more impressions after a few more sides.

17. Djentreat11

Djentreat11 Active Member

Hi everyone i am looking to see all your feedback regarding the mm-6 vs the mp-7. I would like to purchase one but want to understand if there is a big difference in sound between the two to justify the cost. will keep an eye on this thread. thank you

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I received and started using the MM-6 a few days ago, and my first impressions are very positive. Will offer more detailed feedback when I’ve spent a bit more time listening but it’s stellar so far.

JackG, Davey and Djentreat11 like this.
  19. krichard2496

You'll probably start to see user feedback in about two weeks.
    We're just getting caught up to MM-6 and MM-5 demand and MP-7s are in production. We'll be interested in user feedback as well.
    Our upgrade program would allow an MM-6 to be purchased now and traded in towards an MP-7 for 100% credit over 60 days, or 80% credit over 180 days.

JackG and Djentreat11 like this.
  20. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Keith, what's the status of silk screening? I know it sounds like a small thing, but it's one reason that I've been dragging my feet about ordering. I don't really want to send the front panel back at a later date. Thanks!

21. krichard2496

It's next on the list after the initial MP-7 orders are filled and we get samples out to those who have requested them.
    Before the launch of the SU-6 and SU-7.

22. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Really enjoying the MM-6. It is a nice step up from the phono stage on my Yamaha AS501 which had a very slight high frequency buzz (only detectable at higher volumes when the music stopped). The MM-6 solved this problem - it is perfectly quiet. Overall everything sounds better, more detail, and I notice improvement in bass and drums especially. I listen to a lot of acoustic jazz. Hard to assess how much it affects surface noise, but I have been trying to test that out on some records that I recalled being noisy and I think they do sound cleaner so maybe it does help with that, too. Bottom line is I can't stop playing records!

I'm using the MM-6 + mono switch with a Dual 1219, AT 120e cartridge and Elac UniFi (slim) speakers.

Dan Steele, Davey, JackG and 2 others like this.
  23. mazikrav

mazikrav Well-Known Member

Over many years, I brought my two channel system up to the point I was satisfied with the sound on all sorts of complex classical music, listening mostly to vinyl. records. My system consisted of a VPI Classic 2 turntable, a Sound-Smiith Voice cartridge, an early version of the Sound-Smith mmp-3 phono stage. These feed a preamp and passive volume control by Placette Audio, a Pass-Labs XA 30.8, and Tekton Design Elecrtron SE speakers.

Since then, I've replaced the phono stage with the Darlington M-6 phono stage with the mono switch option. I've had a chance to give the M-6 a good workout, listening to many kinds of music over the past week. . Stereo separation is so much better than before. Clarity is greatly improved. The ability to reproduce loud peaks and the increased ability to discern subtle different dynamics at lower volume music is dramatic. The mono swiitch has brought new life to many old favorites. In short, the M-6 brought me much pleasure. Keith's communication was exemplary throughout the purchase. I'm not technically savy, I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding the Darlington phono stage.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thanks for the report. Classical-wise, last night I listened to a lovely pressing of Carlos Kleiber's DG Beethoven 7th, and with a new Soundsmith Carmen cart and the MM-6, the Allegretto second movement was more meltingly beautiful and detailed than I think I've ever heard.

25. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I'd like to see more preamps with loading switches like the Budgie had. Purists can always order a version strapped at 47k.

I'd also like gain adjustable via switches. Or jumpers. Jumpers (think computer motherboards) can be a terrific low-cost ultra-reliable approach, can be used for gain and loading.

I'll still likely try a 6 or 7 at some point, curious how it would compare to my other preamps. I'm not going to order until I can justify keeping it regardless though, I'm not a try and return sort of fellow.

macster and Djentreat11 like this.