Darlington Labs Phono Preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJSpinner, May 2, 2021.

1. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

ML-1 phono modules in a vintage Levinson JC-2 preamp. Compared to the DL it has a more brightly lit stage and more visceral midrange. Also more clinical: If you need to know the condition of your stylus or the record this is the preamp to have. To be fair, it's a 43yo preamp with a 30yo power supply (self made) that's never been refurbished. And it always did sound much better with a SUT ahead of it.

I have a Boozhounds board here that's fully assembled awaiting a chassis and power supply. It too uses passive RIAA and J-Fets, but unlike the DL it needs someone to finish the assembly lol. The high voltage operating point of the DL is what intrigued me enough to take a risk on it. I've read good things about this approach before but not many are actually doing it, certainly not in phono stages where 5v is enough to realise appreciable gain at the mv level.

Davey and Phil Thien like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

The problem with the Boozehound "Le Pacific" circuit (and others using the same simple topology) is the input capacitance due to the Miller effect. It's a result of the simple design, with no cascode circuit on the input stage to stabilize the voltage across the input gain device, be it transistor or tube. Not a huge deal, probably in the neighborhood of 150-200pF, but something to be aware of in cable and cartridge selection, these simple no feedback designs can really sound good in the right setting, we talked about it some in the threads on AK, I think you were in those threads, or maybe just one of them ... AM Audio’s RIAA JFET Phono Preamplifier Kit

Note the above does not apply to the Darlington Labs preamps, the "Le Pacific" circuit is a totally separate topic.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Ripblade and elvisizer like this.
  3. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Can someone confirm where the optional Mono switch is located? On the back I assume?

4. bearpaw10

bearpaw10 Well-Known Member

@krichard2496 Have you considered making a black case for your products?

fuqxit, Dan Steele and PATB like this.
  5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Yes, it is on the back. Simple toggle switch.

Pali Gap likes this.
  6. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't think it's been posted here yet, but here's a rear view of the MP-7 with the mono switch:
    [​IMG]

7. krichard2496

krichard2496 Forum Resident

Yes. We now have a black option!

Our current solution is the use of a duplicate back panel (which is already black) placed on the front.
    Currently shipping with no company logo nor model number (i.e., completely black).
    We recommend a rear-mounted LED in this configuration.

$40 upcharge as we need to purchase an additional enclosure at the present time.
    In the future, white pad-printing of the corporate logo should be available.

This Black Option is not yet on the website. Email us for details.
    It IS applicable even to units "in the field". The current silver panel will unbolt, and the thinner black one will bolt right in (albiet using black Philips screws, the same as are used on the rear panel).

Dan Steele, bearpaw10 and Phil Thien like this.
  8. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

A question for those who have already purchased - did you buy upgraded jacks? If so, which ones? Do you think that they are worth it?

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I wonder.. (he thinks out loud) if this could be the mono switch that I could hear a difference with when playing a mono album. I must confess I've never heard a difference when switching the button on my Parasound ZPhono USB (one reason I bought it was the mono switch) or with the ol' Pioneer Sx-737/Marantz 2270. I've tried with and without phones, eyes closed and open, whatever.

10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Your mono records must be in excellent condition if you can’t tell the difference. Try some more beat up mono records. The difference will be more noticeable.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  11. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Since nobody responded to this, I went ahead and placed an order today for an MP-7 with upgraded clone 805 jacks and mono switch. Will report back once it's here.

Dan Steele and bluemooze like this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I missed your post until now, but here’s what Keith kindly explained to me when I asked about this prior to me buying the MM-6:

“The better jacks make more consistent contact with a greater number of interconnects. The most expensive have the tightest mechanical tolerances and the best ‘feel’ (in terms of insersion force across all 4 jacks).

“I personally like the look of the Cloned CMC-805 jacks a little better, the Genuine ones are a little shiny in the middle ring, but the Genuine ones have a real silky smooth surface and just work nice.

“I won’t say that there is actually any sound difference between the three, assuming you’ve got good connection on the ground ring of the RCAs (and with the stock jacks, certain patch cables need a little tightening with a pliers…that is normal with most RCAs).”

Radio likes this.
  13. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Well, the forums have finally drawn blood. It's so easy to read about all of the incredible equipment available to provide my ears with music and think of the possibilities. The first time I read about Darlington Labs phono amps, it caught my attention and I kept coming back to it. I was certain I would be getting the MM-6 right up until the introduction of the MP-7. Order placed today for the MP-7. Honestly it was probably one of the most satisfying audio purchases I have made, stretching back to the early 70s at Pacific Stereo. There is a lot to be said about purchasing from a smaller company and not paying extra for all the overhead, plus their customer service is over the top. The responses from Keith to this thread and my emails made my choice an easy one. Thanks again Keith, I can't wait!

14. Davey

Nicely said, curious what other gear you have in the audio chain?

15. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I'm trying to unload two phono stages in order to make room for (justify to wife?) an MM-6 or MM-7.

Dan Steele and DJSpinner like this.
  16. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

@Riktator please post an update once you receive. I pulled the trigger on a new preamp and am very heavily considering ordering a MP7

17. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Rega P6 w/Exact cart
    NAD C368 BluOS amp
    KEF Q150 speakers
    Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble passive woofers (2...speakers RIP...)

Biding my time on a speaker upgrade but surprisingly happy with the current set-up, listening space isn't that large.

Dan Steele and Davey like this.
  18. krichard2496

Thank you. It is in production.

By the way, we corrected a website pricing issue on the MP-7 with Rear LED and Clone 805 jacks.
    It is now showing as the correct price, only $579 [rather than incorrectly $639, which was actually higher than the Genuine CMC805 jacks and rear LED at $629].

Dan Steele likes this.
  19. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I agree on all points. I absolutely love my MP-7. It really sounds great. I never expected this kind of sound for the price I paid. Thank you again @krichard2496 !

Dan Steele and Riktator like this.
  20. bearpaw10

bearpaw10 Well-Known Member

@krichard2496 On your site you mention custom loading available. Does this include lowering the stock 100pf input?

21. Davey

I think they will pretty much do whatever you want at this stage, as long as it is something they have tested and know will not cause an issue, but most preamps use a minimum amount of capacitance on the input as a RF filter (some IC designs can get by with very low values due to using instrumentation-type input circuits with very high common-mode noise rejection, Sutherland is one of those, SimAudio too, I think they both use the same input IC ) ...

Help me pick a cartridge! | VM540ML vs. DL-110

Note that he inadvertently said parallel in the email, but quickly followed up per below email after I posted ...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  22. krichard2496

Yes, we can do 0pF. The input is a high-voltage moderate transconductance J-FET which, by itself, is quite RFI resistant, and we also have a small value 'gate stopper' resistor in the signal path which further serves to damp RFI. Our units have rugged and reliable circuitry and we are not limited to datasheet recommedations like manufacturers that use Mic Preamp chips or other BJT technology.

Below 100pF we would need to use NP0 or COG capacitors, none of which are as sonically transparent as our preferred Polypropylene Film and Foil (unless we do a series combination like is referenced in the other thread).

For a really rare combination, if a client is using a Step-Up Transformer exclusively with the MP-7 or MM-6 or -5, and wants an Zobel network (a resistor and a capacitor in series with one another) *plus* a high value loading resistor, this could be done too. Although really the Zobel should be installed into the SUT. The experienced engineer who 'named' the MP-7 is of the opinion that Zobels are rarely used in practice with SUTs except for Jensen which specified them in the datasheet (and perhaps KKR or Lundhal.)

We should note that 99%+ of our units shipped are with the stock 47K and 100pF loading. If another loading really is wanted, we recommend that a test record with spot frequency tones be used, together with a highly accurate DVM or AC Voltmeter (like the HP3400A) to determine the optimum load.

Davey likes this.
  23. Davey

Nice, you could list it as the no-cost Audio-Technica option :)

DJSpinner likes this.
  24. Djentreat11

Djentreat11 Active Member

I ordered the MP-7 with the upgraded jacks and got to hook it up today finally, thank you Keith, great service and always responsive.

I got to hook it up and test a little and my initial impressions are really good. But I am noticing it seems really warm and the highs do not seem as sharp i.e. fatiguing. I look forward to hearing it more in the coming days.

Dan Steele and Ripblade like this.
  25. krichard2496

We just posted CAD renderings of our upcoming SU-7 Head Amp PCB as well as our upcoming Headphone Amp, the HP-7.
    At the bottom of our FAQ. PCB orders were sent to the factory this weekend.

The headphone amp has been designed and operational for over a year, but we updated it with the latest 7-series power supply tech. We hope to have it at our AXPONA booth to listen through to our existing MM, MP- and soon to launch SU (Head-Amp) series.