Darlington Labs Phono Preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJSpinner, May 2, 2021.

1. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

the maple leafs are one of the original 6

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

:wtf: what makes you think from the question I didn't know that? I'm asking him what it means in his avatar sig, and if it's a reference. Thanks though.

Dan Steele likes this.
  3. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Nope. Habs fan (I'm from Montreal originally) but don't announce it in enemy territory lol. The Leafs stole the Cup from the Habs in '67. It was a costly win lol.

TheVinylAddict and Dan Steele like this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

Oh yeah, it's all coming back from another thread.

I'm a lifelong B-Hawks fan as you already know, born / weaned in Chi-Town, but always a closet Habs fan. Man, the 70-71 Cup final still stings today... and I was only 10 years old....

5. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

You have my condolences. :D The Habs were a great team with an all star lineup, a literal tour de force. Losing to them was not an embarrassment...it was destiny.

It's all gone now. Last year gave some hope but only to the chronically commited. :cry:

6. TheVinylAddict

LOL.... that was Game 7, Hawks up in the third period.....

.... Bobby Hull still will tell anyone listening to this day "why did Billy Reay put those players out there at that time...." as Henri Richard ripped Chi-town fans hearts out.

Ripblade likes this.
  7. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Your question lol

8. TheVinylAddict

Anybody running the SU-7 yet, especially in combo with the MP-7?

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Not yet, but hopefully soon!

10. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

What LOMC cartridge will you be running with your MP-7/SU-7 combo?

TheVinylAddict and Dan Steele like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

I'll stay tuned....

Dan Steele likes this.
  13. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I just scored a Benz Glider. Very excited. Always wanted one.

MCM_Fan and DJSpinner like this.
  14. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Holding off on an SU-7 for now until my next MC but blissfully happy with my Sol/AT-VM95ML/MP-7 setup.

I really love The War On Drugs' "A Deeper Understanding" but sonically it's always seemed a bit of an amorphous wash of sound to me. Spun it a few nights ago and it's as if it was re-mastered (properly). Lots of layering, separation , and color as well as bass to die for.

15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Just found out my MM-6 is shipping today, can’t wait!

recstar24, Djentreat11, JackG and 3 others like this.
  16. Artie2

Artie2 Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see the possible inclusion, and/or development, of the XO-7 2-way x-over. That's a product that's surprisingly missing in today's marketplace. Which is especially odd given that it seems many more people are using smaller speakers, with subs, these days. Even I have moved away from my big Yammy NS1000's, to smaller speakers. I have Def Tech SM450 and SM45 monitors. Two pairs of Canton GL-260's and a pair of Canton Plus-S's, just to name a few.

And people are literally "throwing away" yesterdays high-power, "discrete design amp" AVR receivers, because they don't have HDMI. I won't even list the stack I have.

But my point being, a decent, high-quality, 2-way x-over is all that's missing to bring these all together in a fairly killer system. Pro audio and car stereo has x-over's coming out the ying-yang, but "home" audio is missing that product. I hope you develop this Keith.

Artie

Ripblade and JackG like this.
  17. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

As am I. I'd been discussing with Keith the possibility of a "black box" (just inputs and outputs) crossover solution built with his standards and philosophy. The ones you can find have so much adjustability in terms of levels and frequency which is a waste once installed. Much like my MP-7, I'd rather have something built perfectly with predetermined values without all the adjustability and extra parts getting in the way of SQ.

Keith - on the subject of future products, how will the DS-7 Digital Output Stage work? Sounds like it'd need to be installed by Darlington? If so, are there particular complete products with those chips you'd recommend looking for? I have an AKM-based DAC but it uses the AK4499 which is apparently current output.

B) DS-7 Digital Output Stage that interfaces with an existing, external DAC with voltage output (we prefer AKM D/As like the AKM4396 and 4399 series). We take the differential signal directly off of a balanced DAC chip and bring it straight into high-performance electronics for Debalancing, Reconstruction Filter, and Output Buffering. The increase in transparency, solidity, freedom from grain and glare is remarkable.

18. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I'm biamped now using a PLLXO I built using components derived from a spreadsheet floating around. Made a little circuit board using my CNC router and put it all in a case.

And it has been nice, I love the low noise.

But it is tied to these amps because the component values depend on input impedance. I should have figured out a way to Zobel it or something so that I can swap amps. I think a Zobel would allow me to keep a constant impedance as far as the filter is concerned? Anyway...

But resistors in series drop output a lot. So the HF section is 12db and the LF section is 6db.

I've tried a cheap adjustable unit out there but it added a lot of noise.

But I'd like some adjustability, even if that means swapping components myself.

Or knobs.

Ripblade and Dan Steele like this.
  19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Quick shipping on my MM-6! Keith sent me a nice shipping details email Saturday and it arrived today (Monday). Just put it in so I won’t do any SQ reviews yet, although at first hearing it sounds wonderful, but thought some might like to see the black front face version. Pictures of that were hard to come by. I like to keep color consistent so it was worth the $40 up charge. There is no logo (that may be coming later) which I am fine with, it is a beautiful black box. Know that this option also puts the LED on the back, which again works for me. Very solidly built, the Blue Jeans RCA cables from the amp had a satisfying click when put into the pre. My other upgrades were mono switch and the clone 805 jacks. This is a big jump in quality for me from my previous preamp, a lower level Cambridge, extremely happy on first use!

Here is a closeup and then the whole setup. I heard sounds on Ysabel’s Table Dance, a recording I know very well, that I had not noticed before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    bill44, PATB, Dignan2000 and 5 others like this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

Cool! Keep us posted.

BTW, love the Mingus LP....

Dan Steele likes this.
  21. krichard2496

krichard2496 Forum Resident

Jack,
    Your DAC with an AKM4399 is actually ideal; in fact, we really like that chip (as we did the precedessor AKM4396). Is IT differential voltage out, which is perfect for our upcoming DS-7. We've had a version running since May 2020 which we believe is very compelling. The only thing needed is a custom modification to your DAC which will directly output the signal off of it's own internal DAC chip.

We are considering a package deal whereby we resell a generic-type (but well-engineered) USB and SPDIF input DAC, at near our cost and with limited Darlington Labs support for that specific box, with it's own special "direct out" already installed, together with our DS-7 for something in the 600-700 range.

We have no desire to get into supporting drivers/computer type products, so if we sell a generic modified DAC, we're a bit reluctant to expect it to work with OS-X v 13.24 or Windows 18 or whatever. But the idea of a more generic actual DAC means it could be considered more of a "disposable" part, with our high-grade electronics considered the long-term part.

There is the potential that IF this idea were to catch on more widely, the industry could standardize on a "direct out" connector. Right now we're looking at either Mini-XLR or 2 x RCA (floating grounds) with a separate GND wire (a bit like a turntable) except in this case, the GND would be part of the signal path.

JackG and Dan Steele like this.
  22. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Mine's actually the AK4499. The original Topping D90. Don't suppose its IIS output would be of any use.

23. krichard2496

krichard2496 Forum Resident

Ah, you're right. That AK4499 IS a current-output DAC. AKM website says it's "End of Life", and they also post a "Notice: AK4498EQ, AK4499EQ: The redevelopment plan of Flagship DAC products will be available soon."

In any case, our topology actually COULD theoretically support a current-output DAC but these are less standardized in terms of output level, and interfacing can become more problematic (small discontinuities in the connection / jack-panel integrity can be magnified vs. a voltage-output). Our long-time in-house preference has been for AKM which has always been voltage output. As many of our products started their lives, this one was first intended for our own internal use. Other perspectives and comments are welcome.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    JackG and Dan Steele like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Very cool! Must be something in the chicagoland suburban air that is drawing us to Darlington. I picked up a used MM-6 last week from a cool guy in Elmhurst, one of the earlier versions. I'm using it in a secondary basement vinyl rig and it replaced a hagerman bugle2. In addition to looking nicer then the plastic bugle, I found the bass improvement in the darlington to be pretty noticeable. I feel the no feedback design does also appear to help keep vinyl tics/pops lower level and more in the background/less musically intrusive. For what I paid, I'm a pretty happy camper.

25. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Agree with this in particular. I have a large % of used albums and have noticed that reduction in tics/pops. Have tried to play a variety of albums over the past week since getting the MM-6 and have been very impressed with the improved detail. I have some mono albums and this one in particular sounded much better with the mono switch on.
    [​IMG]

This is the back of my MM-6, dim red LED is in the back and mono switch is on the left. It’s snug back there but there is enough room for the cables. I have no hum issues.

[​IMG]

33na3rd, Dignan2000, Riktator and 5 others like this.