Dating / history of four 6CS7 (NOS) tubes from Sylvania

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kasper Bergholt, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Kasper Bergholt

Kasper Bergholt Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Clever people,

After a couple of weeks' waiting time, my first four 6CS7 (NOS) tubes (for my Laben CS600 amplifier) arrived yesterday by mail from the US. I think they're beautiful. My plan is to get 3 to 4 good quads - if not exceptional - so that I have enough for a lifetime. Estimated lifetime is often said to be in the 10,000 hours range, perhaps.

I'm looking for a bit of history of these - including how old they are.

Some pictures below.

Thanks in advance,

Kasper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've never heard of anything that uses that tube. Is this an exotic substitution for some common dual-triode or something?

3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Both the CS600 & CS660p amps used this tube. It's an old vertical deflection TV tube.

The CS660p is discontinued, and the CS600 (now CS600X) has been updated with 12AU7's & 12BH7's in the front end.

jeff

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  4. Kasper Bergholt

I thinkt it's primarily been used in guitar amps, e.g the 5B6 Bassman. Hifi use is quite rare - in addition to the Leben models already mentioned I can only find Stax' SRA-3S headphone amplifier and the General Electric (vintage) RIAA 'UPX-003A'.

Leben have changed to from the 6cs7 to '12AU7A' and '12HB7A' tubes in the successor to the CS600 (names CS-600X). People are divided on which version sounds the best. Somehow, I'm happy to be narrowed down to one tube for the preamp, coming from Audio Note and having spent a lot of time and money on ECC82 experiments ;)

5. Kasper Bergholt

Hi again,

Thought a new thread on output tubes for the Leben CS-600 and CS-600X could be of interest to participants / watchers of this thread on preamp/driver 6CS7 tubes - addressing the choice of EL34 tubes of which I narrowed in on RFT/Siemens or EI Yugoslavia ones - in addition to some thoughts on whether my cartridge, a Goldring 2400, and/or my interconnect and tonearm cable could benefit from some changes.

Best,

Kasper

6. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

The dating history of my tubes is no one's business but their own!

Kasper Bergholt and Rolltide like this.