Dave Bartholomew, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sad news, sorry to hear this. One of the most influential New Orleans musicians/bandleaders/producers.

The link in the first post apparently is subscription-only, I can't access it.

melstapler, Jarleboy and Cousin It like this.
  3. PaoloOcco

PaoloOcco Forum Resident

R.I.P.
    He Join Fats in Heaven

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Not long had his 100th birthday, what a legend that man was.

5. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Another New Orleans icon gone. Saw him and Fats play Jazzfest a number of years. I knew that was special. It’s been a brutal time for New Orleans artists recently. RIP sir.

6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

One of the true kings of the Big Easy, RIP.

8. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

RIP

ZippyPippy likes this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

RIP to a great New Orleans legend. 100 is a great accomplishment.

Almost got a chance to see him..........he was supposed to be part of the Ponderosa Stomp in 2011, but too ill to attend..

melstapler and Jarleboy like this.
  10. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Recently I checked to see if he was still around and was amazed at the fact. One hundred years... Having seen so many cultural shifts, experienced so many different forms of music and societal changes... In addition to having written so many great songs. I still play this regularly:

With Fats Domino and Dr. John having recently passed on as well, somewhere tonight there is a New Orleans street party. That one city could produce so much good music that has stood the test of time quite well is incredible.

Guy E, HominyRhodes, Larsen and 4 others like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Another unsung hero of great influence.

100 years old! Impressive!

longdist01 likes this.
  12. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Was lucky enough to fly down to the 2007 Ponderosa Stomp and among the personal interior freak out moments that i've ever had was seeing Bartholomew, Quezerque and Allen Toussaint up there on the House of Blues stage taking a bow. I so wanted to grab someone and hug them in understanding of how MUCH HISTORY was right there on stage...whew..still gives me big chills (but alas, no hugs i'm afraid) R.I. P. and thanks for all the music.

sberger and LandHorses like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Greatest beer commercial ever written:

14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Legend. R.I.P.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

right on that a Legend, RIP Dave Bartholomew!

17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Only the good die young, according to Billy Joel. Mr. Bartholomew was a deserved exception. R.I.P.

18. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

RIP sir. Reunited with the great Fats Domino.

20. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Dave Bartholomew + RIP

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

About 25 years ago, my friend Rick Coleman asked me to record the interviews he was doing with Dave for Rick's bio of Fats Domino, Blue Monday. I ended up spending a lot of time listening to Dave tell his stories, everything from being taught beginning trumpet by Peter Davis (the man who started Louis Armstrong on trumpet), to cutting sugarcane in Edgard, LA, to playing on riverboats, to forming his first band in the 40s and then, gradually, how he put the sound together that would define New Orleans R&B and then finally rock and roll. I was just a baby musicologist then with only a scant idea of what I was witness to, but it dawned on me pretty quickly.

Dave was a real force, though his legacy is so woven into the fabric of 20th century music that it's easy to overlook. But without his work with Fats Domino and the other musicians at the time, music would be very different. He had a great life.

live evil, jimbo3688, john hp and 3 others like this.
  22. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Was lucky enough to catch the great Dave with the Fat Man at a show in Baltimore years ago with aces like Herb Hardesty and Alvin Tyler. Let’s just say we were sand-blasted by the experience.

All you need to do is listen once to his supreme take on “The Monkey Speaks His Mind” and you’ll understand everything from Chuck Berry to T-Rex.

Yeahhhhhhhh...the Monkey speaks his mind!

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

24. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

When I first moved to Austin as a youngster, there was a popular R&B blues band in town called the Fabulous Thunderbirds. At one point in the late 80s, they slicked up their records a bit and flirted with mainstream popularity but prior to their success, they played mostly down and dirty blues like this great Dave Bartholomew song:

RIP Mr. Bartholomew.

Jarleboy and HominyRhodes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.