Dave Brubeck 'Time Out' LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

mono

2. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I've got both (6-eye stereo & mono) and I usually play the stereo; I just like that dynamic, wide stereo sound better (especially when listening with headphones, as I typically do...). It sounds so vibrant, as others have pointed out - most Columbia stereo LP's do.

3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Mono, for the coherency. The wide stereo gets on my nerve sometimes--but still an amazing listen.

4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Agree. The cymbals on my 6 eye mono sound distorted a bit.

5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Agree 100%.

6. triple

triple Senior Member

I listened to the mono 45 RPM version of Take Five on the Ken Burns CD. Man, has this thing been butchered... 2:53 vs the standard 5:25? It felt like getting your favorite beer, but in a 0,17l bottle, instead of the 0,33l one. Yikes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  7. villegas

villegas Active Member

Mono. 6 eye.
    Find a good copy -that's the tricky part- and you'll find heaven on earth.
    Oh, the cymbals... They sound truly amazing. No distortion at all in my system.

Fender Relic likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Is that an edit of the album version, or the single version (which was an entirely different version)?

9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Its the single on the Ken Burns CD. But jazz being what it is - fluid - they just adjusted it to suit the medium. If they were recording it just a few year earlier then they would have had to adjust it for the limitations of a 78. Lucky for us the LP had come along by then and we got to enjoy a full version as well.

It was a common problem with 78's in the jazz age that he arrangements of tunes bands played live had to be severely whittled down to fit on a 78 - about 3 minutes was all you got on a 10" and about 5 mins on a 12" 78.

10. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Just got a clean (-sounding, if not -looking) 2-eye mono for 8 bucks and it's amazing. I'll do a shootout with my Classic and Columbia stereo copies this weekend.

11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I think this one is great in stereo. I agree with the consensus the drum sound is excellent.

hvbias likes this.
  12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

So this is a mono single version that we're talking about, then?

- Kevin

13. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Yes, and the mono single is a different take, not an edit of the mono album master.

14. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

I found a nice clean South African mono copy of this today. Sounds great. U.S. First press stampers I think.

15. I have the stereo 45 RPM reissue. I think it's an awesome-sounding LP.

16. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

I have both and find myself preferring the mono most of the time.

Evan L likes this.
  17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And having heard the LP version, I've come to prefer this 45 take. The drum solo sounds more coordinated and flowing than on the LP.

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Mono is the way to go for this.

Fender Relic likes this.
  19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

It's a different take altogether. They did that when it started gaining interest from radio stations. Smart move on their part though, it seems to have worked. But yeah, the first time I heard it I did a double take.....Huh????
    the beave

Lk4605 likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The John Coltrane Quartet did a similar brief unique take of "Greensleeves" for a single around that time. That was a "thing" then I guess.

21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I love it on the Classic 33 or 45. You won't be disappointed.

Lownote30 and mikemoon like this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I've got the six-eye mono LP and the single-layer stereo SACD. Both are essentially perfect reference recordings, reliable mind-blowers.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Seems like a slightly relaxed tempo compared to the original, from my memory. I think I still like the original performance better. The drum solo develops more, starting out sparsely and building. On the single, it's more of a fill than a development and building of an idea.

24. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

IMHO there is no better version than the (4) LP (one side of each LP left blank) 45rpm from Classic Records, hands down.

25. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I am curious to hear an early pressing on my system. I have listened to a CD version, Sony SACD and the Analogue Productions 45rpm version. One thing that I find odd in the Analogue Productions version is the noticeability of strange noises and slight distortion of the piano in Strange Meadow Lark. They stand out on the AP version, but they are present on the CD version, and masked on the SACD (I am guessing digitally manipulated out). It sounds like sounds that got onto the recording that shouldn't have been there or it is the tape that has been used so many times it has got damaged. So I am curious to hear if those sounds are audible on the first pressings. Incidentally, the AP version and the Sony single layer SACD are REALLY different sounding, particularly the sax. The SACD gives a more breathy and somehow "older" sound, whereas the AP version is brighter and more open, more detailed, but for some reason less "breathy". Very interesting to hear both side by side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.