Dave Clark Five All The Hits Coming 1/24/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

200 posts and only about half were talking about how nobody remembers the DC5. :D

apple-richard likes this.
  2. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have heard this release from January 24 (download files 16/44.1 from 7digital) and the BMG release from last year (download files 24/96 from 7digital). Both releases are "2019 Remaster". From the early hits "Reelin' and Rockin" is in stereo on both releases. But "You Got What It Takes" is now in stereo on the release of this year and in mono on the release of last year. Can anyone confirm that who has both releases?

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

5.1 mix ? :)

4. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I liked a lot of the DC5's stuff. Not so hung up on how the sausage is made. I'm guessing every appliance, piece of music gear, auto, clothes, and whatever else we own, probably has an exploited, or ripped off worker, somewhere along the way. How many of us, myself included, whine and moan, and look to find a deal on anything, a buck cheaper. The guys signed the contracts, did the work, got paid the agreed amount, and time marched on. In the end it's called the entertainment business, and there are hustlers, and hucksters, in all walks of life. I'm sure if we really knew the truth about a lot of our musical heroes,we'd like or enjoy some of their stuff a lot less. I enjoy the art, but don't look for the artist, athlete etc. to be a role model. If they are criminal ,send 'em to prison. Stop the hand wringing over 55 or 60 year old music. LOL! YMMV.

Usagi75, The Trinity, agundy and 5 others like this.
  5. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Agreed - I do suspect the dislike and insults some continually throw at Dave Clark are not really due to any feelings of injustice or any great sense of inner deep 'compassion' for anyone who might have missed out being credited, paid up, or didn't get their full due plaudits etc

I think it's probably more to do with DC:

A) scoring over The Beatles re getting a 'free hand' at Lansdowne and having a MUCH stronger royalty return

B) getting a big critical 'thumbs up' from UK media re The DC5 1968 TV special when 'Magical Mystery Tour' was gleefully crucified in the UK press

C) being a self made man and band who sold millions of records and had many self produced UK / USA chart hits

D) making a critically acclaimed sixties film just as interesting as 'A Hard Days Night' - even more hard hitting in places too - and far more credible than was the comedy romp 'Help !'

E) 'deserting' the UK for America in mid sixties (a 'crime' that Cream were judged to be guilty of in the UK music press as well...)

F) scoring massive USA success, doing Ed Sullivan Show 15 times, playing at The White House etc, when other 'more serious' bands didn't fare so well stateside and could only dream of such success...

G) Picked up in the UK where they had left off in 1965 from 1967 on to 1970 scoring top ten hits at home right up to disbanding while other 'more serious' groups were often falling apart through arguments or finding chart success tailing off...and had discovered their managers had been 'ripping them off' !

H) had the audacity in 1977 to slice through punk in the UK and score a top ten LP with 'Twenty Five Thumping Great Hits' compilation despite no existing band to promote it..

I) Dave Clark choosing not to re-issue The DC5 back catalogue (which he owns) beyond sporadic hits compilations

J) Dave Clark not doing more with the 'Ready Steady Go !' footage (which he owns)

I suspect these points are more to do with the ongoing insults aimed at DC than any real feelings of 'compassion' about others possibly not getting their deserved due...

6. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I suspect you're wrong - it has more to do with 1. a total refusal to reissue anything except the same two dozen hits and 2. taking most of the credit for work done by others. And I speak as a fan.

7. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Sorry, I don't know how to interpret these graphics – is there something wrong or suspect about the high res files?

8. John22

John22 Forum Resident

The peaklevel and the loudness is the same for all three variants. With the MP3 file the heights of the music end earlier than with the Flac file with 16 bit. The hi-res file with 24 bit has low inaudible tones at -90 to -120 db from 22.1 kHz. This is my understanding as a non-technician.

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe some confuse them with MC5? :)

As for me, my mail with this new cd was due on Friday, but hasn't made it yet :(

Lownotes likes this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I can only speak for myself, but I could not care less about any of the above. It simply rubs me the wrong way when someone takes credit for the creative work of others... whether it's Bob Kane, Stan Lee, Dave Clark, or Milli Vanilli. And it bothers me when someone financially exploits artists who are young and naive and perhaps lacking confidence to stand up for themselves, whether it's Moby Grape, Badfinger, or Mike Smith/Ron Ryan.

11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Fair play to you for taking the time to put your point across so articulately. Unfortunately you are wrong on almost every point ..

John Hatter, Phil D and Bill like this.
  12. Sounds even better than The Hits CD from a decade ago and that was actually a great sounding disc too, so . . .

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Hi Dave ...

apple-richard and bob60 like this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

When it all comes down to it, in my case anyway, I mainly just enjoy the records.

The DC5's core hits 1964 ~ 1967 (and a fair number of LP tracks) are among the best beat era poprock out there. I can't get enough of Mike Smith's voice when he rocks out, and sometimes on a ballad. Come Home has an extraordinarily soulful lead vocal if you ask me.

And while the DC5 may not have been an "albums" band, their 1967 UK LP Everybody Knows is a great piece of mid-sixties poprock. Solid album. Ditto the UK A Session With The Dave Clark Five (1964) and the US Try Too Hard (1966). Add to that the fine engineering on so many of those records (ever heard bass guitar notes go as deep on a mid-sixties cut as on Bits And Pieces from 1964?) and you get a lot for your money with a good DC5 comp.

Will I be getting the CD? No. The best SQ for much of that is the 1966 UK Columbia greatest hits LP and assorted UK Columbia singles. The early '90s CD comps I have (The History of The Dave Clark Five and a Japanese comp I have) will suffice on the digital front -- unless and until I read there is some kind of phenomenal remastering and SQ on this latest release.

15. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I agree, I picked up the UK version and the mastering makes these tracks as clear as they've ever been. I do hope Dave puts out the rest of the discography, but I'm not holding my breath.

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

CD or LP?

17. djblaze

djblaze Forum Resident

Love the DC5 . I have listened to all of the albums over the years. But really a greatest hits is all you need. They had a lot of filler , I got all of their albums on cd years ago. Of course not released by Dave. Now you can stream all the albums. The idea of a boxed set or all inclusive releases is past its prime. Its like when I finally saw SMiLE released , it seemed the hype of it made it better then it was. A 24 minute DC5 album isn’t that great.

bob60 likes this.
  18. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

CD

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Got it, listened once, liked the slower tracks. Guess you can't go home again. :(

20. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I've heard an excerpt of the March 7 broadcast of Glad All Over and the band's big sound really suffered at the hands of the beeb's engineers.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

So this new CD sounds better?

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up! This slipped past me until I saw this post today, but I just ordered it. :) Thanks again!

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The lack of Bobby Graham probably really hurt "the band's sound" too.

24. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Just looking at DR values for The Hits & History of and they improve slightly as we go forward (lots of tracks are an 8 and two are as low as a 7).

Here are the values for this comp (only one track is an 8):

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

I have it and I love it!

25. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

That’s what came today! Happy with the sound!