Dave Clark Five "Facts"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luke The Drifter, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hah. My knowledge of DC5 doesn't extend beyond the singles... I've never investigated the old records, since the word I've always heard is that there's tons of filler.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Lots of filler, but a surprising amount of inventive, quality stuff featuring the always quality vocals of Mike Smith. About 15 years ago, when it became clear that Dave wasn't putting out the catalog on CD, I bought a gray market set of two-fer needledrops from somewhere in Europe. I then loaded them on to iTunes on my computer, listened to them all and put the good stuff on a two hour MP3. Very nice to play in my car on trips.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    The Panda likes this.
  3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Mike Smith WAS the DC5. And Lenny was in the band. If Dave didn't give them some credits (even though he also added his name to the credits) he might be without a band. Much different than just being a songwriter who is all but invisible to the screaming girls and record-buying public.

Your failure to acknowledge any of Clark's shortcomings and outright lies is just as bad as the accusations you are leveling at others in this thread. Take a hard look in the mirror. Perhaps you will see Mr. Spock eyebrows staring back at you!

goodiesguy and stevenson66g like this.
  4. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Apologies - you're correct, they appeared many times on Ready Steady Go.

5. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Firmly on my Top 10 "Missed Tour Regrets" list is Mike Smith's Rock Engine in 2002-2003. His accident was so tragic coming just as he was beginning to get late-in-life recognition, not to mention his death 11 days before induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He'll always be one of my favorite singers. There are more clips on YouTube like this one worth checking out.

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Mike Smith recorded a duet album in the mid-70s with Mike d'Abo, of Manfred Mann and Handbags and Gladrags composer fame, that unfortunately stiffed. Recorded for British CBS, it surprisingly was never released by Columbia in the U.S., but provides a hint of what might have been from a solo Smith career. What a voice!

Hep Alien and jparis51 like this.
  7. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

The ONLY fact about Clark is that he is sitting on Ready! Steady! Go! tapes that really do need to be released sooner rather than later!

Uuan likes this.
  8. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Yes indeed, the album's titled Smith & d'Abo and I see it's on Spotify.

Bill likes this.
  9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

This tapes was already resold to UMG (?). Besides there’s barely any unseen material that wasn’t broadcasted in 80s repeats

10. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

REally? How disappointing......

Uuan likes this.
  11. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

So the credit on the original release was Ryan only, and Clark added himself to the credits for the DC5 version?

Uuan likes this.
  12. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Looks like almost the entire series is missing:

TV Archive

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

2. Did Clark actively produce all of their music?

If not Clark, who? Who engineered the records? (The engineer is often the uncredited "producer"). Did Mike Smith produce at all?

14. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

jparis51 likes this.
  15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Doo Dah" was credited to 'Clark-Ryan' when it was released in the U.K. in the summer of 1963.

If Clark subsequently devised a plan to steal writing credits from Ron Ryan, he wouldn't have been able to delete Ryan from the credit of "Doo Dah" because it had already been submitted to his publisher with Ryan's name on it.

16. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident Thread Starter

The links above say you are correct. Ryan believed Clark (who was a close friend) would treat him right. When the money nor credit appeared he soon found out different. He did not sue, because he was friends with the other members of the band and did not want to hurt their success.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Clark tells the same story in the booklet for "History"

19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

In terms of DC5's success in America predating the Beatles, of course we know that's not true - but it's also true that the DC5 were the second British beat band to break in America. Before the DC5, there was no "British invasion" - just a Beatles invasion of America.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I have a screenshot of a posting, since deleted, that lays out the whole Ryan story. I dont know how to post it. If someone does, if you send me your email address,i will send it to you to post here.
    Whew!

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I don't think they were ever taken too seriously in the UK, sure they had hits so did other bands, but to sit at home and listen to an LP was unthought off.
    A bit like Herman's Hermits or Freddy and the Dreamers fun at parties but something that was not important. How America made them special is beyond me.

padesu likes this.
  22. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

I'm going to don my Kevlar before diving into this, although I've shared this opinion both here (I think) and in other forums about Mr. Clark.

None of us know with complete, undisputed, metaphysical certitude what happened. Period.

Ron Ryan and Bobby Graham said some things. IMO they have been taken at face value, without question, as gospel, because there's almost an immediate knee-jerk animus toward Dave Clark because (a.) he's a businessman first, a musician second, and those types always rub the bohemian-natured musical crowd the wrong way (it's nothing new, Glenn Miller caught the same crap 80 years ago); (b.) he's a control freak who did wrong by his bandmates; (c.) he's sitting on all those Ready Steady Go shows that people want to see; (d.) he's been a total buffoon on handling the DC-5 on CD (someone must have found a hidden cache of "The History of the Dave Clark 5" sets, BTW, a bunch of them are floating around really cheap right now, I got one for $20 shipped on eBay recently and I'm absolutely sure it's legit); (e.) he comes across as a horse's ass; (f.) the plastic surgery hasn't made his face any less punchable. :D

carlwm likes this.
  23. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

FWIW, Bobby Graham said in one of the interviews on his website that sometimes (not often, but it happened occasionally) the band would finish a session, leave, then the session guys would be brought in afterwards. Unlike the usual thing where a band member would know he was being replaced as it was recorded. I wonder if your example above is a similar type of situation.

24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

They were popular longer in the UK though, still having hits in 1970.

25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Yes true but still not taken seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.