Dave Dexter, Capitol and the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Not exactly the same but you can't outright dismiss similarities.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, like Capitol stripping seven songs from the British version of Help for the US one, including Yesterday, which it then featured on Ed Sullivan in early September, feeding radio stations advance copies of the inevitable 45, predictably creating demand for it, thus forcing US moms who wanted it to spend yet more money on the rush released single?
    Bang this out in the bathroom, you troll.
    You are repeating yourself. Please stop.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

If you don't want to make an argument, that's fine, that's your prerogative. But don't put down the poster please. Discussion forums are fundamentally about debate and differing points of view. Some of the 'expert' posters here are quite intimidating, it's hard enough for a regular person to contribute, the critiques make it more off-putting.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree, but I don't care what they were going for...they made millions on the backs of American children who were buying those AMERICAN albums without the knowledge of the UK albums...the US Capitol Albums are OUR albums...I've said this a hundred times followed by we COULD not buy the UK albums! they were not for sale here in the US...so why blame Dexter when he made them better for the US MARKET?...The UK albums were the Beatles albums...we all know this, but we love the American Albums and will not stop loving them because the trolls say we should... The US AMERICAN ALBUMS box is a FAKE/LIE and nothing is going to change that...nice post my friend...

5. schnitzerphilip

Help was a movie soundtrack designed to support a movie. That's how movie soundtracks were made in the 1960's. The incidental instrumentals were expected. I hated it as a kid, never listened to it, but I understand the business decision and respect the format decision.

This is a discussion forum, not a fan club. If you didn't want opposing points of view on Dave Dexter Jr.'s impact you shouldn't have created this thread.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

like who?

7. Bill

Please respond to my quote of your criticism of Parlophone as stripping songs from British albums to force Moms there to pay extra for 45s containing those omitted songs.
    Thanks.

goodiesguy and nikh33 like this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

To be fair, Capitol didn't actually strip seven songs. They had already released three of them before there even was a Help LP. One of them (Dizzy Miss Lizzie) under the assumption that it
    as to be a US exclusive.

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Huh?

Rubber Soul - 50th Anniversary of The Beatles Classic album

"One of the struggles that The Beatles had faced when preparing to release ‘Beatles For Sale’ in time for Christmas 1964, was their lack of original unrecorded material. To counter this The Beatles simply delved back into the endless supply of covers they played in their Cavern days and recorded a selection of their favourites. The following year however, they did not want to repeat the formula. Granted The Beatles could simply have thrown ‘Day Tripper’ and ‘We Can Work It Out’ (recorded at the same ‘Rubber Soul’ sessions) onto the album rather than use them as a stand-alone double-A-side or they could have cut ‘Rubber Soul’ down to twelve songs rather than their usual fourteen, as many of their contemporaries did. That was not The Beatles style however and for all of their fame and success, they still held the viewpoint of the record buyer and disliked the thought of being the type artists who released albums without any real substance or released albums with the simple purpose of cashing in as much as possible.

With that in mind The Beatles fell back on two number written for previous albums that were yet to be released, ‘What Goes on’ which gave Ringo first (part) songwriting credit and ‘Wait’."

Huh?

Doesn't sound like you're familiar with the music of 1963 at all.

Rubber Soul - 50th Anniversary of The Beatles Classic album

"Although The Beatles had already shown the influence of Motown, Stax and Atlantic on their work through songs like ‘You Can’t Do That’ and ‘She’s A Woman’, ‘Drive My Car’ betrayed a harder edged, more bottom-heavy sound. George Harrison, the biggest soul fan of the four with an almost encyclopedic knowledge, played ‘Drive My Car’s’ bass-line and used Otis Redding’s ‘Respect’ as the inspiration."

On this we agree: I've always thought the title should be Dave Dexter's Rubber Soul...performed by The Beatles and featuring big beat guest performances by George Martin of the George Martin Orchestra and Ringo Starr

:thumbsup:

Wait: are you sure about What Goes On destroying any beatnik credibility the UK Rubber Soul might have had? Beatnik credibility? Did The Beatles have any beatnik credibility at all? Were there any beatniks younger than 30 in 1965? Did Britain have beatniks? Hmm...

10. schnitzerphilip

What, one of the few examples where Capitol acted as greedy as Parlophone did? That's what you types do. You look for loopholes and minutia to shoot down someone talking about the big-picture. Not falling for it. And Yesterday wound up on its own album over here, again, you didn't need to buy the single.

If John Lennon and Parlophone really wanted to make life easier on the kids and give them good "value" for the money, they would have put the singles on the albums. Because in the end, the Beatles top songs wound up as a necessary second purchase and all the albums were stuffed with filler tracks. Kids weren't saving money in the UK. They were forced into paying for filler. For the most part, Dexter saved the US from that highway robbery.

The comedy producer got the last laugh, again. Forced not only the UK but also the US to buy that abomination called Past Masters. Not once, but twice. They should have called it "Hostages".

notesfrom and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  11. Bill

My point: British fans got all fourteen songs, including Yesterday, with their Help album. In contrast, in the US, not only did buyers only get seven songs, and had to pay more for the 45 if they wanted the missing but red-hot Yesterday, Capitol charged an extra buck for Help because of its snappy cover.

12. Bill

Telling that you ignored responding to that "loophole."

goodiesguy, BeatleJWOL and nikh33 like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I guess you are more black and white in your thinking than I am. The statement that he determined the running order doesn't preclude him discussing it with the Beatles first and making his decisions based on his knowledge of their opinions. The fact that they claimed to have input (on more than one occasion) suggests this likely was the case.

The UK albums were compiled from a group of tracks that had all been recorded at the same time, with the specific intention that they would appear on an album together.

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.