Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol. 5 out 25/10/19.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Man at C&A, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member Thread Starter

15 years after the last volume and Dave Godin's sad death, Volume 5 of his pride and joy, the Deep Soul Treasures compilation series is out soon on Ace! Including songs that he had chosen but they couldn't license then as well as other choices he made, this should be another exceptional disc. Soul as deep as you like...

Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Volume 5

As well as this good news, if the interest is here, I hope it is, shall we discuss favourites from the previous four volumes?

2. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Favorites from the first 4 volumes are: the first 4 volumes... to narrow it down further is an almost impossible ask. A gun to my head; Bessie Banks’ Go Now.

The series is essential and indispensable within the genre.

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I love Lights Out by Zerben R Hicks & The Dynamics (from volume 1)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Greenalishi and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Thanks for replying! I thought this thread was dead on arrival.

I got Volume 5 for Christmas and to me it's up to the high standards of the previous four. I've only played it twice so it's too early to pick out favourites just yet. These compilations genuinely reward a few thorough listens. A favourite from the past ones that springs to mind is this unusual gem from Stax. The lead vocal is magnificent.

Make It Me by The Premiers

5. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

I somehow missed the posting the first time around but glad I caught it now. Thanks for posting it.

The Deep Soul Treasure Series was thoughtfully curated and all four volumes are worth owning. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to order Volume 5.

Oh and it is hard to choose but one of my all time favorites is Bettye Lavette's Let Me Down Easy. Yeah, I know it's not as obscure or rare as some of the others but, damn, it's one great record.

WhatDoIKnow and Man at C&A like this.
  6. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

From Vol.1. I think I cried when I first heard these. Incredible:
    Showdown - Kenny Carter
    The Turning Point - Jimmy Holiday

7. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Stunning compilation series.Excellent news!

8. Man at C&A

The Turning Point is one of my favourites too. There's barely a bad track on any of these. There actually isn't any. The only mis-step to me was including a track from 1982 on the third volume (I think). Not a bad track but the music sounded of it's time, a bit plastic, and I found that jarring compared with the rest of the series.

minibreakfast and sjaca like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Standing Here Crying by The Incredibles

10. Man at C&A

Let Me Down Easy is sublime and the first time I heard it was on one of these discs. The second I think. I don't have them to hand at the moment.

Inez Foxx recorded a fine version of Let Me Down Easy at Stax. This is a very good LP:

WhatDoIKnow, Sear and Greenalishi like this.
  11. Man at C&A

I recommend this CD to anyone into this kind of soul. To me it plays like another volume of Deep Soul Treasures. It isn't compiled by Dave Godin, but he does write the sleevenotes in his own passionate and descriptive style. One of the big pleasures of the Deep Soul Treasures series is the sleevenotes. I like his writing a lot.
    Various - Sanctified Soul

WhatDoIKnow, minibreakfast and Sear like this.
  12. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Uh oh...looks like this thread has turned into an automatic investment for me...:)

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Hope vol.5 is available on vinyl.Have volumes 1-3 on CD and 4 on vinyl.For me the first two are perfection and vol 1 is my most played CD.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Does the vinyl have all the tracks?

15. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

So many favorites...for instance Reuben Bell and the Casanovas-"It's Not That Easy"

florandia likes this.
  16. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

I'll check and get back.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I've just bought the first volume... 25 songs of incredible music full of truth and pathos, made by real men and women.

Honestly I can't think of a better CD in my collection

WhatDoIKnow, sjaca and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Nice one!

The good thing is, they get better with each play. A song that might not catch on at first can become a favourite. Another good thing is the next four are just as good. This is my favourite style of soul.

WhatDoIKnow and Sear like this.
  19. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I've got the first 3 of these and they are absolutely amazing.

As if the music quality isn't enough, the sleeve notes for each song are so informative and interesting.

I'll never forget the first time I heard...... Jaibi - You got me. (vol1).

20. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have volumes 1-4. It's been good while since I've listened to them. I think I had a listen to some samples of vol 5 & concluded that I have enough of that type of soul. Maybe it's worth another go.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  21. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Got the first 4 as and when they were released.Incredible,beautiful,life affirming stuff.Vol 1 is by a stretch the most played CD I own.Only just realised there was a vol 5.Snagged a copy on eBay.Can't wait to hear it!

22. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

Sorry this has taken so long,forgot all about it.I was mistaken.The vinyl release was a 'best of' compilation,not vol.4.Great though.Sort of lavender coloured vinyl!

23. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This is slightly off topic but I have to give a shout out to Ace Records. Their releases are so thoughtfully put together and they don’t compress the music to death. Last week, I bought the Reggie Young Session Guitar Artist CD. It was an incredible listen from start to finish.

I will have to check out these Deep Soul Treasures compilations.

WhatDoIKnow, sjaca, dlemaudit and 4 others like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Samples don't do it justice! Or any music really, unless it's a genre you can't stand. Vol 5 is great and the last, it's worth completing the set. :)

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Which volume should I get next?

Man at C&A likes this.