David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

hence "previously undocumented". i don't believe there's anything besides the aborted TMWFTE soundtrack which, chronologically, belonged in the last box.

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I don't think that matters.

Holding Scary Monsters over to the next box would make sense, so that you have a box concentrating on 'The Berlin Trilogy' and Scary Monsters can be used as the carrot for the following box containing what many perceive as the weaker albums in the 80's.

longaway, tin ears and JoeF. like this.
  3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You can also add the edited versions of Helden and Héros to that list for Recall 3

leoconsole likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The German version of the edited Helden was a different mix on the Ryko Sound + Vision box.

5. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

That's my thinking also - thinking that the box will go right to the end of the RCA years in 1982, leaving a clean start with the EMI recordings in 1983 for the following box set. (Let's Dance, Tonight, Dance Mix, Never Let Me Down......)

So it's certainly a roundabout Fantastic Voyage from Paris to Switzerland, via Berlin, Philadelphia, and New York.

Timely to repost this (with corrections - thanks KM) from an earlier time:

Talking about Re:Call 3; if the same guidelines as the first two are followed (recordings of the period, released as singles at some time by the then current label, and sequenced in order of release) , then I suspect Re:Call 3 will look something like:

Re:Call 3

Side 1

"Heroes" (single (edited) version), 3:33 (PB-11121 / PB 1121)
    Heroes (chante en Français), 3:33 (PB 9167)
    Helden 3:33 (PB 9168)
    Beauty and the Beast (extended version) 5:18 (JD-11204)

Side total : 15: 57

Side 2

Breaking Glass (Australian extended version), 2:47 (103295)
    DJ (single (edited) version), 3:23 (PB-11661 / BOW 3)
    Yassassin (Dutch single (edited) version) 3:09 (PB-9417)
    Alabama Song, 3:51 (BOW 5)
    Space Oddity (1979 re-recording), 4:49 (BOW 5)

Side total: 18: 59

Side 3

Ashes To Ashes (single (edited) version), 3:35 (BOW 6 / PB-12078)
    Fashion (single (edited) version), 3:26 (PB-12134 / BOW 7)
    Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (single (edited) version), 3:32 (BOW 8)
    Crystal Japan, 3:10 (Japanese A-side) (SS-3270)

Side total 13:43

Side 4

Baal (ep) (BOW 11 / CPL1-4346)
    Baal's Hymn, 4:02
    Ballad Of The Adventurers, 2:01
    Remembering Marie A., 2:08
    The Drowned Girl, 2:26
    The Dirty Song, 0:37
    Peace On Earth / Little Drummer Boy, 2:37 (Bowie & Bing) (or possibly the 12" version with dialogue) (PH-13400 / BOW 12)

Side total 13: 51

Total time - just over one hour.

( I have my doubts about the inclusion of the MCA Cat People and Queen duet due to licensing)

Quite likely this could be across three LP sides instead.

This time around it would be great to see the superior (as in higher quality) original covers used as source / guide material.

notably, at least:
    US Low, (higher res and more detailed front than UK) with centred track listing sticker (following rest of artwork style - UK's left margined sticker clashes with rest of style)

US Lodger ( higher detailed inner sleeve - UK has less detail as it has been copied from US).

6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

You've missed the single edit of "Heroes".
    1. "Heroes"/"Helden" (English/German version) - given the singles nature of Re:Call thus far, you'd expect the 7" German version to be included, not the "bilingual" album version.
    2. "Heroes"/"Héros" (English/French version) - and the 7" French version here too.
    3. Breaking Glass (Extended Edit) - chronologically correct but i think this is more likely to be the opener.
    You've missed the extended Beauty And The Beast.

4. Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy - 7" and/or 12", probably the latter. this was recorded in '77, released in '82 so its placement is debatable.
    5. Revolutionary Song - rights issues may keep this one off. again the single version is an edit.
    6. D.J. (Single Edit)
    You've missed Yassassin (Dutch single edit)
    7. Panic In Detroit (re-recording) - don't expect this to be included, it was not issued on a single.
    8. Alabama Song
    9. Space Oddity (re-recording)
    You've missed the single version of Ashes To Ashes.
    10. Fashion (Single Version)
    11. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (Single Version)
    12. Crystal Japan

and then, if they include them...
    Under Pressure
    Cat People (7" and 12" versions, but there is the option to include the 3:16 promo edit and 9:20 Australian extended version too)

I expect the Baal EP to be included on Re:Call and not a standalone disc, so add five tracks here.

NB: apologies for repetition of Colin's post, but i didn't type this only to delete it.

7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

and subsequent releases. the original mix has not been issued on CD...

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Because of the total fiasco that was the last box here's what they'll probably do ...

1. New Music: Night And Day (Rare 'cassette only' release)
    2. Low
    3. "Heroes"
    4. Bowie Now (Rare US promo only album)
    5 Stage (original running order 2LPs/CDs)
    6. Stage (concert sequence 3 LPs/2CDs)
    7. Lodger
    9. Scary Monsters
    10 ReCAll 3 (2 LP/1CD)

14 LPs 12 CDs $$$$$$

andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

you may be jesting, but no, for the reasons already explained. and why only include "Bowie Now" and not "An Evening With David Bowie" and "1980 All Clear"?

10. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

I know the feeling - it's fine.

If the sequencing didn't follow the release sequence ( so '77's Peace on Earth appearing after the 1980/1 tracks, and the '78 edit of Breaking Glass following ..... etc) I'd be very surprised, because that sequence is one constant in the two boxes.

There's three titles in doubt - Revolutionary Song, Cat People (soundtrack version) and Under Pressure. There's physical room (both on CD and vinyl) to maintain single CD / 2LP, but it's the licensing..... we'll see.

11. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I would like it to have decent mastering for the vinyl reissues. Not the overly processed smoothed out crap there has been so far.

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Don't type so loud. They'll include them if they realise they exist.

andrewskyDE and bobdylansbarber like this.
  13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it'll be the same, as much as there's been any consistency... some squashed, some not.

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's gotta be a way they can include two versions of the same album. They've done it with Ziggy and Station to Station. Two versions of Stage isn't enough.

15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

if so, it'll be a Visconti remix of Low or Lodger. if the former they'll come up with a New Music: Night And Day alternate cover, for Lodger one using Bowie's cover mock-up for working title Planned Accidents.

[​IMG]

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Maybe they could get Eno to remix the whole lot. He gets more credit for 'producing' the albums than Visconti does

17. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

visconti's already remixed Low, and he seems to be "the man in charge" given his input on the last box (co-mastering credit, liner notes).

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  18. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The ONLY place to put Scary Monsters is in this next box as Bowie entered a completely different era with Let`s Dance after that.

19. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

Possible title:
    How Can I Be Low

Chris R and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Abduljamid, Zion and Some Are?

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Later Ryko releases. The other volumes only include stuff that came out at the time. e.g. About 5 versions of Space Oddity

Haristar likes this.
  22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

you might be thinking of something else (All Saints?), but Zion dates from the Pin-Ups/Diamond Dogs era.

Haristar likes this.
  23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

So far these boxes have included something that most Bowie fans have already got, but would still really want in a different form.
    Eg TMWSTW dress cover and The Gouster on vinyl with a new sleeve. Even though we've got all the tracks on both, they want to do just enough to make sure it still keeps nagging at us "buy buy buy". So, unfortunately I agree there won't be anything revolutionary on this box like TMWFTE ost. Bowie Now is just half of Low and half of Heroes - not even different mixes.
    So I think it's going to be a different mix of Lodger. That'll make disillusioned cynics like myself still have to buy it even though we'll wish we didn't.
    Then they can call it Fantastic Voyage for a reason, though I still think it should be called "Repetition".
    Edit: If they include remixes of both Low and Lodger, they'll probably save Baal for the next box as bait, cos there will be no other reason to buy it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Yeah I think that's the one.

25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

This is my favorite Bowie era but I am not going to buy it just to get yet another remix of these albums plus two versions of Stage. F that. There have been rumors for many years, even directly from Bowie, that there is a wealth of unreleased material from the Low-Heroes days floating around somewhere. If true, this would be the time to release it. Getting the German version of Heroes and Crystal Japan for the umpteenth time just isn't enough to get me to plunk more money down...