David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i agree it's unlikely, but i think it should be included. it's a notable piece of work from the period in question, was released on RCA and he was on the cover with top billing. it would add another dimension of his work to the box.
    i'm sure he softened his opinion over time. it was included in 1993 as a bonus disc with copies of the Ryko singles collection, a series in which he seemed to have some say. i think there's a big difference between omitting unreleased tracks that he didn't want released and omitting tracks that have been released a number of times that he didn't care for. i would, for instance, be very surprised if Too Dizzy is not reinstated on Never Let Me Down. in both cases (NLMD with Too Dizzy, and the POE single), these are easily obtained.

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

a US single a-side. and Who Can I Be Now? wasn't a "deep cut"? titles will be chosen based on how appropriate they are i would think/hope.

MadamAdam likes this.
  3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

both scenarios are possible, although the single edits were included on Re:Call 2 and the German "Heroes" is all but certain to be on Re:Call 3 so they're probably done with it for this set. a standalone release makes more sense commercially, especially with the all-important 36th anniversary coming up. i predict red vinyl.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Labyrinth on vinyl might pop up in the 80's box. Partly because used copies really spiked in price

the guitar sounds too good to be either of them.

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'm not sure. Visconti has mentioned it at different times and there was a rumour he was working on it a few years ago but that now appears to have been a way to deflect interest from the The Next Day recordings. while i don't hear it myself, Lodger was supposedly a reference for Blackstar, so perhaps it was again in the works. i like it just fine as it is, i'm not a fan of revisionism.
    i expect that's as far as they got in terms of completed tracks, but i was under the impression there was some more noodling on tape. probably not worthy of release but i'm sure it will see the light of day sometime, whether in this set, a future deluxe edition or after we're gone.

johnnyyen likes this.
  6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Visconti has no recollection of working on All Saints and described the loops as being "more eighties" and something they didn't have on Low and "Heroes". this and I Pray Olé are not what they seem... both subject to later tampering IMO.

scobb likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

These guys think it's a bunch of sounds from the Low and Heroes sessions that were processed at a later time:
    All Saints »

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as good a theory as any.

9. SoundAdvice

Wake me when they release these. I have a pre-SM Visconti interview where he said 24 songs were done for Lodger. 10 are on the album.

The jammy Lodger demos:
    Portrait Of An Artist
    Fury
    Working Party
    Emphasis On Repetition
    I Bit You Back
    The Tangled Web We Weave
    Pope Brian
    I Prey Ole
    Born in a UFO
    Eno's Jungle Box
    Burning Eyes
    Aztec (all 1979)

The Scary Monsters demos:
    People Are Turning To Gold
    It Happens Every Day
    Cameras In Brooklyn
    Is There Life After Marriage?
    Fujimoto San
    Jamaica
    Because I'm Young (all 1980)

10. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

:unhunh: :laughup: :biglaugh:

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

several/most of those titles are simply working titles for tracks that made the albums... e.g:
    Portrait Of An Artist > Fantastic Voyage
    Fury > Look Back In Anger
    Emphasis On Repetition > um, Repetition
    I Bit You Back > D.J.
    The Tangled Web We Weave > Move On
    remember Bowie often wrote lyrics as the final step.

12. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Scary Monsters was recorded in NYC and then London.

The Bing duet was included as a limited edition bonus disc with Ryko's The Singles 1969-1993.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I really hope for a Berlin Years box set with studio/live outtakes. Maybe with an exclusive album like the Who Can I Be Now? set had with The Gouster, that would be insane!

14. SoundAdvice

Blue Jean and Ashes to Ashes also come from the Berlin era. There should still be a half dozen songs from Lodger no one has heard.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Lodge R^^

jlf likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe the Christiane F. - Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo soundtrack could be a good inclusion of the box set. 'Helden' is on that album...

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The setlists are great but I would sequence it a bit different, I don't like hearing "Heroes" three or four times in a row, maybe every vinyl side opens with one version of the song?

18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Fantastic Voyage would be a better title..

scobb and oldturkey like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

My suggestions of the box set's name:

- Berlin
    - The Man Who Came To West-Berlin
    - Low Heroes
    - Vision and Sound
    - A New Career In A New Town
    - Sense Of Doubt

I could make some artwork for your joy now, if you like...

20. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'm sure the same could be said for every album. and if/when we get to hear them, they'll be unfinished backing tracks or have an unfinished scat vocal over a rehearsal. Bowie rarely went beyond a third take and his vocals were usually the last thing put to tape. as ever, the idea of unreleased music is much more exciting than the music itself. and there's a LOT of Bowie bootleg material out there to prove that point.

21. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Whaaaaat?

You've lifted that list from my Record Collector Unreleased Bowie feature :)

BowieWonderworld: Press Archives: Bowie's On Sale Again? »

oldturkey likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Red's my guess too.

23. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

The sequencing of the first two Re:call albums has been in the order of release - and hence the way out of (recording) sequence of all the Ziggy era b sides - i.e. from Starman onwards on the first album, and the misplacement of the 1974 recording of John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) on the second album. As these two follow the release sequence there's no reason to think that Re:call 3 would be any different.

I don't mind three versions of "Heroes" in a row followed by an extended Beauty and the Beast - it makes for a consistent dance beat.

Re:call 1 (disc 2)

Changes / Andy Warhol / Starman / John, I'm Only Dancing / The Jean Genie / Drive-In Saturday / Round and Round / John, I'm Only Dancing (sax) / Time / Amsterdam / Holy Holy / Velvet Goldmine.

Had it been in recording sequence it would have looked something like this:

Changes / Andy Warhol / Amsterdam / Holy Holy / Velvet Goldmine / Round and Round / Starman / John, I'm Only Dancing / The Jean Genie / Drive-In Saturday / Time / John, I'm Only Dancing (sax)

Re:call 2

Rebel Rebel / Diamond Dogs / Rebel Rebel (US reworked version) 3:00 / Rock 'N' Roll With Me (live) / Panic In Detroit (live) / Young Americans / Fame / Golden Years / Station To Station / TVC15 / Stay / Word On A Wing / John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)

Had it been in recording sequence the last track would probably be before Young Americans, like this:

Rebel Rebel / Diamond Dogs / Rebel Rebel (US reworked version) 3:00 / Rock 'N' Roll With Me (live) / Panic In Detroit (live) / John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) / Young Americans / Fame / Golden Years / Station To Station / TVC15 / Stay / Word On A Wing

qtrules and Christian Hernandez like this.
  24. SoundAdvice

I've found about 10-20% of the unreleased Bowie stuff to be quite killer. Alt mixes can be quite enticing, as some of the surround mixes have hinted at. I could easily do with a triple album of just backing tracks, released and unreleased songs.

Another thing that's enticing is other stuff Bowie has hiding away. Sorrow and Fascination were fully released at the Vancouver 1976 rehearsals, but have never surfaced. I know some other stuff was tried 2000-2004 that would drop some jaws.

25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yes that is about my feeling. Still, the stuff is worth exposing to the public / fans in someway or other. Does not have to be cd or vinyl or even complete versions. For most maybe a video / documentary style thing could work with the producer in the studio explaining the versions and development of songs & albums. This does not have to diminish the released stuff in any way, could very well enhance the released material.