David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I actually don't have anything against the woman, a lot of people seem to like her, so that's good. I just don't see how selling A-List stars with as close to certain sales is going to be the savior of Physical music. It's not the type of music I'd be giving money or time for, for example. She's popular, so congrats to her - I've heard a little of it, and I don't like it. But then, I'm sitting here listening to Stockhausen's Kontakte.

DTK, Runicen, fluxkit and 2 others like this.
  2. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

I was not exact with my citation.
    Here is the correct version:

“For me popular music does not create any values. It mainly reflects the one that society goes through the time.” -Bowie, from Black Tie White Noise Film , 1993.

fluxkit likes this.
  3. FCat

FCat Well-Known Member

Hi! New to posting to the forum but been reading the Era 5 speculation thread for the entirety of its existence :). I got the new box set today and am thoroughly enjoying it.

fluxkit, Stump, Django216 and 5 others like this.
  4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Anyone know what’s up with Amazon? By now they should have the delivery date locked in, as in this Friday, but it still shows pending. Is anybody else getting the same thing?

whatprogress likes this.
  5. FCat

FCat Well-Known Member

I ordered through a local record shop - they got it early and let me know

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  6. DGC

DGC Well-Known Member

Amazon Canada gave my order a confirmed delivery date of this Friday a few days ago. I’m hoping it might sneak out a day or two early…

Also, anyone holding out for a price drop may be waiting a while. I pre-ordered the CD set when it was announced and priced around CDN$150, and it’s gone up a couple of times since then & is currently north of CDN$190. Very glad for the Amazon pre-order price guarantee!

7. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

I preordered the vinyl set on Amazon US the day it went live, until now the delivery date hasn’t been confirmed. :shake:

CBackley and croquetlawns like this.
  8. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

Amazon emailed me with delivery date of Dec 7.

CBackley and whatprogress like this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Their logistics department is forced to shift and ship boatloads of Adele 30 product. All staff members are wearing Adele masks on the job.

[​IMG]

Wilco, CBackley, vlad676 and 7 others like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Just ordered the Bowie BA CD Box Set from ImportCDs and added the Springsteen No Nukes 1979 2 CDs/BluRay, as price even before the 10% off deal was a lot lower than Amazon for the Bowie BA CD Box Set, so it was like getting the Springsteen No Nukes Set for free. Also, can use the PayPal Pay in 4 Plan to spread out the payments over 8 weeks in 4 installments so a win all the way around, assuming that ImportCDs will package these 2 items together well with some protection in the same Box.

I wish Amazon would offer the PayPal option, as the Pay in 4 Plan is nice if spending around $100 or more, but so far they have not added PayPal to their checkout for purchases.

Since the Springsteen Set is already available, not sure if they will wait to ship both items together, since the Bowie BA release is officially this Friday. Anyone know from past experience, if ImportCDs ships items 1-2 days early if a Pre-Purchase is made ahead of the actual release date? I was also hoping by adding the Springsteen Set, that this might be the case.

Still might take advantage of the 10% off sale for another 1-2 items with this being the final day for the sale, although want to keep a little of my music budget left for whatever sale is offered by Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct this Black Friday Holiday Weekend, and have a few RSD Releases I would like to get.

This Bowie BA Box Set is a little anticlimactic, as I already own all of the Albums on CD, the BTWN Deluxe Set, and the 1.Outside/Earthling/Hours/Heathen/Reality CD Box Set with the Bonus CDs for each Album, and guess it will just be a matter on if the Remix is a better option, but assume like recent Bowie Box Sets remastered by Visconti that these CDs will have the typical crappy Dynamic Range. I guess I have Toy Album and the 3 Recall CDs to look forward to hearing initially though.

I only need a few Vinyl(BTWN, BoS & Earthling), and will buy them later individually, as already own the MoV Vinyl Releases for the other Albums in this Box Set(and MoV Vinyl for Heathen & Reality). The BA Vinyl Box Set is just way too expensive. The only Box Set I had bought for Vinyl was ANCIANT(it cost around $200 on initial release), as those were most of my Favorite Bowie Albums(along with Scary Monsters), and wanted the Large Book with it, but have since bought the UK Green Label Vinyl Records for some of those Albums, and also for a few earlier Bowie Albums, so might eventually sell my ANCIANT Vinyl Box Set if it has a much higher value in the future(like happened for the Five Years Vinyl Box Set).

Now, if those BLA Reissues would ever actually happen.

Hopefully, 2022 brings us a Deluxe Box Set that combines Hunky Dory & Ziggy Stardust.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  11. LaurenLovesMusic

LaurenLovesMusic Barbecutie

Considering Amazon are not accepting U.K. visa credit cards after January, the chances of them accepting PayPal are less than zero.

bluearmy78 and OneLife like this.
  12. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Just got the shipping notif for the CD box from the official site. Might have to start planning how I’m going to divvy up time for Thanksgiving dinner, watching the first episode of Get Back and dipping into this set.

Azorbz, jacden, Django216 and 2 others like this.
  13. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Runicen, bluearmy78, TonyCzar and 5 others like this.
  14. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Speaking of Toy reviews, I made myself a playlist of all of the Toy tracks I could grab from streaming (the recent singles, and the Nothing Has Changed material) and I've been listening to it for the last few days.

Listening to Toy (what we have of it so far, plus the 2011 leak), it's interesting how strongly the parallels to Pin Ups resonate for me. Like Pin Ups, the material is generally upbeat, and the arrangements at time consciously mimic 60s influences - obviously so on Pin Ups, a bit less obvious on Toy (like the "wooo!" interjections in "Karma Man", lifted from "I Am the Walrus", or the "ooh la la" a la "You Won't See Me" popping-up in "Can't Help Thinking About Me"). Whether it's Bowie singing some of his favorite 60s compositions by other artists, or revisiting some of his own, the nostalgia and callbacks are pretty evident. He's enjoying the material, not pushing the envelope (much).

In both cases, Bowie really seems to be enjoying the opportunity to build lush, ornate backing tracks for songs that (generally) didn't have them before - whether it's his original material or not.

Likewise, both records are subject to a lot of unusual vocal choices - some successful, some less so. Pin Ups gave us "new" Bowie voices on things like "Here Comes the Night", or the strained, awkward vocals of "Shapes of Things". For Toy, we get some magnificent Bowie vocals on "Conversation Piece" and "Silly Boy Blue", and then some odd experiments like "Karma Man" or the somnambulant "Let Me Sleep Beside You". It's a mixed bag, honestly, but in both cases Bowie seems to enjoy experimenting with his delivery.

Ultimately, I think both records are a mix of "good but average Bowie" (which is still pretty good by any objective measure, BTW) highlighted by a handful of Bowie classics. For Pin Ups, I'm thinking of "See Emily Play", "I Can't Explain" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" as real standouts in his catalog. For Toy, I'm thinking of (at least) "Conversation Piece", "Shadow Man" and "Silly Boy Blue".

Anyway, I've always enjoyed Pin Ups. It isn't Aladdin Sane or Diamond Dogs and can't be judged on the same scale. Likewise, Toy can't be compared to something like Heathen or even Hours. Instead, for me, both albums feel like DB taking a chance to regroup and reflect... before another sustained burst of creativity.

15. chickendinna

Not sure if anybody else got the same notice from Amazon, but now they’re stating a delivery date of Wednesday, December 1 for BA. Better late than never I guess.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got the same.

Wilco likes this.
  17. FCat

FCat Well-Known Member

Not enjoying 'Toy'. I'm a big Bowie nerd and thinks of his discography as a journey on which you must learn to enjoy it all - even 'Tonight' :). But 'Toy' is just so ordinary and anodyne - so tastefully done; no rough edges or surprises.
    However I'm really enjoying Re:Call 5 - probably my favourite one of the series so far with many highlights:
    - The Basquiat version of A Small Plot Of Land
    - Planet of Dreams
    - Ice Storm version of I Can't Read
    - The Bowienet Mix of Fun
    And the pressings of BTWN and BoS are great - with the exception of the increased (intentional) surface crackle on Ian Fish.
    Haven't done Outside, Earthling or Hours yet. Will report back.

18. chickendinna

I can’t believe all of the forum members who have already received their copies of Brilliant Adventure. I won’t receive my copy until December 1st. I’m ordering from the wrong vendors.

19. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I just got a 12/7 amazon prime delivery estimate. My Bowie Thanksgiving weekend festival is now all shot to sh!t!

20. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

Heathen and Reality (and the accompanying tours) were a lot of things, but sustained bursts of creativity they certainly were not. At what point in his career was he any less creative? Possibly Tonight? Even NLMD had the bonkers, so bad its terrible, Glass Spider Tour.

Steve Carroll likes this.
  21. whatprogress

When Toy was initially leaked, it was a welcome surprise to someone who figured that Bowie had quietly slipped into retirement. Hearing his voice on these new recordings put a really big smile on my face.

I had hoped to recapture that feeling now that he is gone, however, I find the removal of Uncle Floyd and Afraid from the track list is deeply disappointing and ruins the overall vibe.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Wow, I used to buy a few items from Amazon-UK, using my Visa on file with Amazon-US that is also hooked into Amazon-UK. What forms of payment will they only be accepting in 2022? Hard to understand why they would stop accepting Visa.

23. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Same here. I didn't care about the holiday, the gathering, the ball games, the family (ha!) or the shopping. I just wanted to spend time with the BA vinyl box. :(

CBackley, chickendinna and Sedwards like this.
  24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

In Australia, and I think Singapore, they still accept Visa but now charge an extra 0.5% fee for using it.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  25. whatprogress

Same here, for the vinyl set. Did you receive an email from Amazon with that estimate? My inbox has been dead quiet.

I'm seriously having the weirdest issues with this release. I placed my pre-order the day the listing went live, and monitored the order for price drops. Once the price dropped, it didn't get updated on my order. When checking out the product page, it didn't even have an acknowledgement of my having pre-ordered it. After three or four days, I went in and changed the credit card on my order, and only after that did I lock in the price drop and get an order acknowledgement on the product page.

I didn't actually have that 12/7 shipping date until I logged in last night and changed the credit card yet again. This is the only Amazon Prime order where I've experienced these issues.