David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

This is incorrect. They're the same mixes, but all the audio on that album is from a different (ie. more complete) source than the previous commercial releases used

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Fabrice Outside and pobbard like this.
  2. lloydie77

lloydie77 Forum Resident

I've looked through this thread and haven't seen an answer, but is the usual thing to release the studio albums individually after the box set has dropped? I've got everything Bowie-related on vinyl except this era and would love to get the studio albums.

3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yes including the complete station to station which was edited on the video.

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yes some time next year they will it it goes according to the other boxes plan.

aphexj likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Right, plus the crowd noise is edited differently and there's no phasing on the end of "Modern Love"

If including vintage mixes on these live releases is "low effort", then I'd like to know who exactly is supposed to remix them?

6. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

Finally got it - perhaps I'll get BA tomorrow ...

The only time Amazon broke their promise to me WRT delivery on release day was January 8th 2016. My Friday delivery of Blackstar didn't arrive. I bought it from my local Tesco store of all places on the Saturday and listened to it many times over the weekend (going out for walks specifically so I could have some "quiet time" with the album).

My Amazon delivery finally arrived on the Monday (and to this day is still in its shrink-wrap). Too late. Amazon nearly deprived me of the "pre-death" Blackstar experience ... (to me, that album has two forms, one of which was fleeting - it definitely has a different aura to it now than it did then).

Roxy6, fluxkit and heavysoul like this.
  7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Wow! Very surprised about this, and looking forward to hearing the new set tomorrow (via streaming, since Amazon won't have my box to me until the middle of next week, at best).

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

are any of the recordings analog?

9. Only question will be Toy.Unknown if there will be a further separate release outside BA and the Toy box.
    And of course although it is outside your question BBC and Recall won’t get separate release.

10. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

Once I realized one or two tracks were remixed (or mixed properly at all), the rest didn't surprise me. As far as I can tell for the previously-released mixes, they should show up in January on the Toy:Box.

The only thing that perturbs me (although I think I know the real reason why) is that we're missing "Uncle Floyd (Slip Away)" and "Afraid." In one of those interviews I read earlier Plati said he considered them Heathen tracks...but when you go back and listen to the BowieNet demo of "Afraid," Bowie clearly calls it out as a track intended for the (then-planned) Toy in 2001. So why aren't those tracks on this (or the box in January)? I think the answer's actually obvious: Rights issues! These boxes have been issued under Warner, and they only finalized the deal to get Bowie's Heathen-Blackstar catalogue on 16 September--way after the work on this box-set (and, assumedly, Toy:Box) had been completed; the two tracks were probably excluded to avoid any legal entanglements.

My hope now is that we get sort of "deluxe" Heathen and Reality issues in the next year or two that bundle all the extras and the surround mixes...maybe including some new mixes of these properly Toy-era outtakes? :p

If you lot can't tell, I'm really into that album/it's sessions and have given this tons of thought...

11. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Even if they are digital, they at least SHOULD have been done in 44/24.

paulybauls and milkshock like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'm sure they were mastered at that resolution (and perhaps some including BTWN will be sold at hi-res when they're parted out of the box), but what audible benefit would we get from having that? The master tape for Buddha of Suburbia is repro'd in the booklet, and it's a U-matic 16 bit / 44.1 kHz cartridge...

walrus likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

If there are 44/24 masters, the extra 8 bits on the bit rate do make a significant difference. If an album was recorded & mastered at 44/16, you are correct

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What is the audible difference? Aren't the "extra" (least significant) 8 bits well below the volume range of a conventional playback system? We're talking about albums that use digital synthesis as main instruments, by the way, not the London Philharmonic

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

FWIW, the audio tracks on the BTWN Bonus DVD are 16/48

16. moomoomoomoo

Mostly depth & presence.

Shvartze Shabbos and bluedemon25 like this.
  17. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Wow yeah, and at least you got it then. Thankfully. That weekend of listening to Blackstar was exciting and great. I listened at home, in the car, in the daytime and at night... I was excited by the music... And then the news came, and I have never been able to hear the album or even want to listen again. It all changed. Strange how it is like that. But I too am grateful I got ot on release day and had those few days to hear what would be the last album without knowing it would be the last.

OldSoul, imarcq and pobbard like this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

It doesn't sound like Sound Quality is important on this thread (I mostly hang in the hi-res thread). For those who do care, the masters are pretty compressed, though mostly similar to the original cd's. It varies (by disc) from DR8 - Dr10. Personally very disappointing to me.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I found a "Jump They Say (Single Edit)" with a DR of 11 on a 2-track promo CD tonight. ("Remix and additional production by JAE-E").

That was as good as things got in tonight's excavation. Everything else from the 90s is running from 7 to 9. (Even "Real Cool World" from a contemporaneous WB soundtrack CD was 8. A couple tracks from "Earthling in the City" were 10 and 12.(!))

Demiurge88 likes this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Couldn't find my "Showgirls" soundtrack CD, so boy has it been forever since I've heard that version. Interesting. (Tidal is live with the box in the US.) Interesting choice (draft?) to go with the 'pvssy and cars' line in the opening verse.

vcpj likes this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

HDTracks is offering the 2021 BTWN standalone in up to 24/192, but the box is strictly 16/44.1

milkshock likes this.
  22. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Maybe you stored it with the Showgirls dvd :D.

Wilco likes this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I had a system. I really did. That album changed the way I organized things, because if I bought a collection or soundtrack for the contributions of one and only one artist, the filing was easy. But "Showgirls" had both Bowie and Siouxsie and the Banshees on it. SO much dithering!

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The Arista "Buddha of Suburbia" (made in Germany, 74321 170042) has a DR of 12. You know that'll have the life crushed out of it.

Code:
    DR9       -2.62 dB   -14.10 dB      4:29 01-Buddha of Suburbia
    DR14       0.00 dB   -15.95 dB      6:24 02-Sex and the Church
    DR14       0.00 dB   -18.52 dB      5:25 03-South Horizon
    DR11      -9.01 dB   -22.12 dB      7:12 04-The Mysteries
    DR13       0.00 dB   -14.66 dB      5:23 05-Bleed Like a Craze, Dad
    DR10      -2.89 dB   -14.82 dB      4:59 06-Strangers When We Meet
    DR13       0.00 dB   -14.39 dB      5:48 07-Dead Against It
    DR14      -0.48 dB   -15.78 dB      5:03 08-Untitled No. 1
    DR13      -8.06 dB   -24.45 dB      6:29 09-Ian Fish, U.K. Heir
    DR10      -1.97 dB   -14.27 dB      4:21 10-Buddha of Suburbia (Featuring Lenny Kravitz on Guitar)

Rob Byrne likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

PSM also. What a weird choice if they're only doing one.

"192 kHz / 24-bit, 96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – Parlophone UK Studio Masters

Tracks 1-12 – contains high-resolution digital transfers of material originating from an analogue master source"

bluedemon25 likes this.