David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

How were the vinyl pressings?

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Sorry to be a bore but could someone post DR numbers for the CDs? Curious to know how these compare to originals, especially the loudness war casualties.

sortvinyl and serj like this.
  3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Having now made my way through all of Re:Call 5, a few observations both on the content and what the material says about Bowie's output during this period, especially as it relates to hours.

1. This set is really hours-centric, isn't it? There are a few tracks on Re:Call that don't neatly align with any DB album (like "Foggy Day"), but of the rest, it breaks down roughly like this:

BTWN - 5 associated songs (remixes, single edits, or outtakes)
    Buddha - 1
    Outside - 9
    Earthling - 8 (including "Planet of Dreams", "I Can't Read", and "Fun" here, but read on)
    Hours - 14 !!!

It's not like there weren't tons of remixes from BTWN, Outside, or Earthling, and as others have noted above, there are some surprising omissions. For example, the Trent Reznor remix of "Hearts Filthy Lesson" was a big deal at the time of its release, and quite distinctive, but it's MIA here. There were seemingly countless remixes from BTWN, and not all of them were essential, but it's surprising we don't get any of them here, just single edits and alternates.

The original internet-only release of "Telling Lies" was also a huge deal at the time, and that mix isn't here either.

I get that you can't include everything on Re:Call - to cover Bowie's 90s, that would have required something like 10 CDs - but the weighting in favor of hours still surprises me. (And also reminds me a bit of the choice made on Nothing Has Changed in 2014 to represent hours mostly via remixes).

2. Speaking of "which tracks belong with which album", I was following Bowie very closely during this period, so little is "new" for me here. That said, only on revisiting it now does it become clear to me how much "Planet of Dreams" and the reworked "I Can't Read" really belong to hours, not Earthling, in terms of approach (arrangements, production, performance). (Probably also explains why neither track ever really clicked for me!) But note, I included both of these tracks with Earthling above... otherwise the hours count would be 16, not 14.

3. Also speaking of hours, there's seemingly no way someone could have accidentally included this unheard mix of "We All Go Through" by mistake! A huge change from the original b-side, and a nice little surprise. (Also nice to get the alternate mix of "Real Cool World", although its inclusion could more understandably be an honest mistake).

4. All that said, as others have said on this forum before, many of these remixes of hours material are more interesting/possibly superior to what ended-up on the final LP - less syrupy and FM-ready, with a few more edges present. Personally, I'd rather listen to the hours material on Re:Call 5 that the original LP (something I wouldn't say for any other Bowie album, 90s or otherwise).

5. Final, minor observation: in terms of approach, "1917" feels like a bit of a dry run for "Your Turn to Drive".

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  4. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

1. Outside 11
    Black Tie .. 10
    Earthling 8
    'Hours...' 8
    Buddha .. 11
    BBC Radio Theatre 8 (Both Discs)

That's all the ones previously released.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  5. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Forum Resident

Has there been any actual indication of a Tin Machine box set?

Also...ugh! Tin Machine II isn't available anywhere to buy as a download.

6. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Just getting through my copy and yeah, had some through London Boys. Disappointing given the rest of the set so far has been dead quiet.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

They seemed to be very high in quality. I had no audio issues, and each looked immaculate.

Stump and johnnyyen like this.
  8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Comparing the 2021 remasters to the 2003 BTWN master they are louder, but there's some headroom and not much clipping just looking at it.

Stump, Eric_Generic and Runicen like this.
  9. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I kinda think (hope) that there is Remix Compilation in the work to serve as an Add-On to the box.
    It should be called Brilliant ReMix Adventure and feature tracks like
    The Telling Lies Original Internet Mix
    Hearts Filthy Lesson (Trent Reznor Mix)
    I am Deranged (Jungle Mix) - Why was that not included but The Man Who Sold The World (Eno Mix) was included?

10. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Missing in my eyes are the live single versions of “Under Pressure” and “Moonage Daydream” from the “Hallo Spaceboy” CD single. If they included the live promo mix of “Bang Bang” on Re:Call 4 even if that same performance is on the Glass Spider live album in the same set (albeit remixes), they could’ve surely included the aforementioned live tracks, even if both are on No Trendy Rechauffe in new mixes. Same goes for any of the live B-sides from the ‘hours...’ singles, but that’d make Re:Call 5 even heavier on that album, and I believe there are two live versions of “Seven” that appeared as B-sides, from both the Paris show and Kit Kat Klub show. Given the physical scarcity and demand of the Brilliant Live Adventures sets, I think it would’ve been a good touch to put those original mixes of these live tracks on Re:Call 5 not just to appease those who couldn’t get their hands on any of those titles first time around but to also thoroughly represent what was available in that era. The criteria of these Re:Call sets have been so inconsistent but always been rewarding listens.

11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Significant omissions, in my opinion, include :

Like A Rolling Stone*
    You've Been Around*
    (Reeves Gabrels version)
    The King Of Stamford Hill*
    Trying To Get To Heaven
    Mother
    Nature Boy
    (both versions)

*That said, compilation album appearances and guest vocals haven't been on any previous sets (such as, for example, The Myth or Revolutionary Song), unless they got an individual release as a single.

The 2002 Visconti remixes of Toy era songs that became B-sides are presumably absent to make up box set bait on Re:call 6

croquetlawns, Runicen and pobbard like this.
  12. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

"Under Pressure" and "Moonage Daydream" are from the Birmingham show on No Trendy Rechauffe, I think.

bluearmy78, pobbard and Colinjpush like this.
  13. Colinjpush

Yep, as stated ;)

Why not have those tracks on Re:Call 5? Both are great versions. I certainly wouldn’t mind having those again.

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i did this last night, wonderful idea

Stump likes this.
  15. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Same - "Moonage Daydream" in particular is my favorite version of that song, ever - and the No Trendy Rechauffe mixes aren't the same as the original mixes from the CD single.

Colinjpush likes this.
  16. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Good point. I believe licensing restrictions are behind the absence of "Nature Boy". "Trying to Get to Heaven" and "Mother" both should both definitely be here. "Like a Rolling Stone" is from 1990, and I believe "You've Been Around" is a Tin Machine outtake, so... less clear to me that they belong on BA.

The Visconti remixes of Toy material - I could see those being on the next boy, but I could also see the label saying "Well they're already on the Toy:Box" and ignoring them... guess we'll find out eventually. Either way, a Re:Call covering 2002-2016 should (in theory) be a lot easier than covering 1992-2000, since we didn't have endless remixes during the more recent period.

Azorbz likes this.
  17. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I’m surprised by the absence of the “Rock” version of Thursday’s Child but, like you, I feel there’s quite enough Hours material on Re:call 5 already.

I’ve just finished playing the first disc on vinyl and it sounds amazing. Hearing Nothing To Be Desired and Get Real pumping out of my speakers has been a real thrill.

CBackley, Markyp, bluedemon25 and 4 others like this.
  18. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Telling lies not being included at all was very strange. At least the much shorter and excellent Adam f mix should have been there.

Azorbz likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Damned, thank you! That was an instant order. Especially since I just returned from a local store that had piles of these boxes for 450€ a pop. Thanks to you recommendation I've just paid 318€ including postage!

Cat People likes this.
  20. Demiurge88

Demiurge88 Forum Resident

Re: the box set being rather Hours-centric, I made the same observation many pages ago. Similar to how Loving the Alien is very Never Let Me Down-centric. Almost as if part of the point was to bring some more attention and encourage listeners to give a second chance to material that's often dismissed as some of the weakest of its respective era. :)

Yes, there are so many remixes and other non-album tracks from this era that they had to get very selective. It's saying something when Re:Call 5 is three discs and that still isn't quite enough for many of us! But I think the selection they gave us is pretty damn good. A couple personal favorites are missing, but that will be true for others as well. Can't cover everything that every single fan likes in one compilation album.

The Danny Saber remixes of Little Wonder would also be worthwhile additions.

Like you, I think a remix compilation would make sense. They've already dedicated an entire series to live albums from this era, I think we can get one remix album. Scoop up the best of what's absent from the box set. :)

Azorbz likes this.
  21. Colinjpush

It’s been stated, but if the NLMD vinyl edits were on Re:Call 4, why weren’t the Excerpts From Outside edits on Re:Call 5? I know it’s only “Leon Takes Us Outside” and “The Motel” but still ... they could’ve even done “Leon Takes Us Outside” [edited version]/ “Outside” as a track just so it’s not an awkward 20-some seconds that fades out almost as soon as it starts

22. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

If I had my way, .... Hours and Toy would have been shunted to the next set, and I'd've added a remix compilation, an expanded Is It Any Wonder?, ChangesNowBowie, and Live And Well, which would have fulfilled the "Box Set Exclusive" elements, and also made the inevitable Box Set 6 a decent size with 4 studio LP's in there.

23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I know it's outside of the scope of this thread to speculate on the next box, but I think they'd have to be bonkers to just have a box built around Heathen and Reality. That means they'd have to actually use Box 6 to close out the catalog with those two plus The Next Day and Blackstar. Considering only Reality got a tour, the padding they can offer is distinctly limited unless there's a lot of leftover studio stuff they can bring to bear that we're not aware of. You know, in total dismissal of the "rules" from the previous sets and all... :rolleyes:

Demiurge88 and markreed like this.
  24. obi

obi Forum Resident

I haven't seen anything like that. In fact, it seems that most people either don't notice the glitch or think that it's too small a disturbance to care about..
    I have the original CD and I honestly can't tell the difference with the new mastering (except the glitch, obviously) so I can always just play the original but it bothers me that an expensive CD boxset has a glaring fault like that.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Jx84

Jx84 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, Box 6 will definitely include the four studio albums spanning 2002-2016. 'hours…' belongs to Box 5, the Reeves Gabrels era, but with its fairly new lineup and sort of looking-back/neoclassicist ethos, IMO, Toy and the BBC live album for that matter) should have been saved for Box 6. Box 5 is severely bloated: ten years and six studio albums, compared to, say, WCIBN spanning three years and as many studio albums...