David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

A brief burst of static about two minutes 50 secs. into the song "Outside". Can be heard, by those looking for it, on all versions (streaming, CD, etc.)

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

How did a booger get in your ear?

Azorbz and BrucePadgett like this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

As someone who doesn't have this boxset can I ask if Brian Eno reveals much in his liner notes about the making of Outside?

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that Eno talks about compiling an 80 minute tape of improvs which was then cut up for the album. Is anything else mentioned? For example, does he say anything about other outtakes or any planned follow up projects like Contamination?

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

If only it were fake...and I haven't had the patience to fix it in Audacity.

wayneklein and healter skealter like this.
  5. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

From all the Album liner notes, Brian Eno sadly delivers the shortest. His words are more abstractly describing how it was producing the album.
    He does mention the material and that Bowie and he planned to revisit it but he makes it sound that he has no intention to do it without Bowie.

TonyCzar, Azorbz, AlienRendel and 4 others like this.
  6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

At least Eno holds on to integrity.

7. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Ok, I hear it now on headphones...but only after stealing a DL of the coaster-box & comparing it to the original CD. But it's definitely less noticeable on my vinyl rip.

I find it astonishing that some people know the song intimately enough to have spotted the glitch. Well done! In the meantime, I'm perfectly comfortable without an audiophile hair-shirt to irritate me :righton:

Innocent Smith likes this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply. I had always hoped that DB would have returned to those projects. The fact that he contacted Eno in the last year of his life and discussed it made me think he wanted to complete them before he died or set the foundation for them to be completed posthumously. However I would completely understand Eno's view if he feels that he would need Bowie to sign off on anything.

Azorbz likes this.
  9. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

well, i thought that i had everything (including most non-collected remixes) and now that i take a closer look, it looks like i need to get Early On (1964–1966). i guess i had assumed all of these were collected before, but it looks like most of this is not?

can any of you Bowie superfans help me sort it out? any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Liza Jane - Assume this is same version as on Nothing Has Changed
    2. Louie, Louie Go Home - UNIQUE
    3. I Pity The Fool - UNIQUE. Wiki says that this is an alternate version to the official single. Where is the official single version available?
    4. Take My Tip - UNIQUE. Wiki says that this is an alternate version to the official single. Where is the official single version available?
    5. That's Where My Heart Is - UNIQUE
    6. I Want My Baby Back - UNIQUE
    7. Bars Of The County Jail - UNIQUE
    8. You've Got a Habit of Leaving - Assume this is same version as on Nothing Has Changed
    9. Baby Loves That Way - UNIQUE
    10. I'll Follow You - UNIQUE
    11. Glad I've Got Nobody - UNIQUE
    12. Can't Help Thinking About Me - Assume this is same version as on Nothing Has Changed
    13. And I Say to Myself - UNIQUE
    14. Do Anything You Say - UNIQUE. Also, wiki says this is an alternate mix to the official single. Where is the official single version available?
    15. Good Morning Girl - UNIQUE
    16. I Dig Everything - UNIQUE
    17. I'm Not Losing Sleep - UNIQUE

10. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

It's been a long time since I listened to most of this stuff, but IIRC "Early On" is sort of a combination of released recordings from various bands fronted by Bowie (to be) and demo-quality recordings.

If it helps, the titles on your list that are the released singles are 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.

The ones you assume are the versions on "Nothing Has Changed" are correct having just quickly listened to them - they are as I remember the originals.

With regard to the "alternate versions" - if we just take "I Pity The Fool", it's documented (Pegg) that two vocal takes were recorded. "Early On" is the version not originally released. For that, you need to find the "The Manish Boys/Davy Jones And The Lower Third" compilation. That's something that I have on (believe it or not) 10" vinyl, so it would sit nicely with the Toy:Box set!

Do yourself a favour and get a copy of Nicholas Pegg's book if you're this serious about collecting everything ... :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Peggs book is an absolutely mandatory read for anybody wanting to go deeper into DB. :righton:

12. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

I'll throw into the discussion an alternate you've got a habit of leaving
    Making Time - A Shel Talmy Production (2017, CD)

13. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

Gavaxeman, Neonbeam and croquetlawns like this.
  14. Glad I kept my original.

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. Are you sure that’s a booger hanging from your ear?

16. Nah you’ve confused that with fake news. It’s real.

17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Hair gel.

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. Rant423

Rant423 Forum Resident

19. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I think it had something to do with "low"and then the "profile" pic. "Low profile" due to Bowie living in Berlin at the time.

Zongadude, TonyCzar, Rant423 and 3 others like this.
  20. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

It’s a pic of Bowie in profile under the word Low.
    He was keeping a low profile…
    Edit. I see Pim just answered the same

Zongadude, TonyCzar and Rant423 like this.
  21. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They are simply re-pressed from the vinyl remasters (sourced, as you correctly guess in this case, from hi-res) Parlophone put in the box sets and sold as break-outs later on. You can take a look through previous threads on the box sets, a lot of vinyl fans are less than happy with the sound of these remasters and prefer original pressings for superior mastering

I have the red 45th anniversary Station to Station from last year and, yep, it sounds just like the 2016 hi-res digital. Fine for what it is, but probably not the best available. If you enjoy the 1999 version of Low this will sound quite different; slightly more compressed, with a lot more bass

The one exception to this is the gold 45th anniversary Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust... because that was sourced from a previous 40th anniversary master cut from an analogue tape. I have that one too and it sounds great, but certain turntables can't track the level of kick drum on the intro to "Star" and skip there

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

If you like the bloated bass (didn't Visconti say it finally sounded as intended at the time but technically impossible ? :unhunh:).

With Low on vinyl records most important will be whether the pressing is silent enough, especially for the side two ambient tracks.

24. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Hmm, a lot of folks on Discogs gushing over the 2018 pressing. Interesting. Thanks!

25. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Not quite sure what to make of that 3rd disc of Toy...for some reason, find the disc 1 sequencing unsatisfying, then the 2nd disc, well I didn't really hear that much different but wasn't concentrating on comparing it too much. Then the 3rd disc, sounds like they dropped lots of drum tracks off or changed some instrumentation - it feels like they were trying to make a Toy:box so they could sell it for £25 instead of putting a 2 disc thing together. But then I have reached such a level of cynicism about how his catalogue and new items are being marketed... :wantsome: