David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. 22 ziggies

22 ziggies Forum Resident

Maurice, NUNZI, croquetlawns and 5 others like this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Let's not and say we did.

3. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

There goes my hope for a Tin Machine box in the near future

[​IMG]

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I don't get it. Are they selling these anew or something? There's something a little off about moaning about royalties from 45yo promo singles. Now, the "Royal Caribbean" cruise line TV ads, maybe....

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Hunt is clearly credited on the single sleeve...

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I finally played the recent RSD EP yesterday and really enjoyed it!

7. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

REALITY check:

I purchased lovely sealed Japanese edition as it was NTSC -- alas, it's not Region 0 : (

Further sleuthing on Discogs revealed a US DualDisc version! CD on one side, DVD on flip. So I've got satisfaction, just wonder how this release eluded me so long.

There is a warning sticker:

"The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc."

croquetlawns and TonyCzar like this.
  8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The DVD on the duel disc isn’t the live concert is it? It’s sort of art videos with the music available in surround sound? It’s a very long time since I played mine.

Rooster_Ties and Azorbz like this.
  9. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I was hoping his some clarity on the “Brilliant Live Adventures” reissues. All I want is the “Kit Kat Club” disc. Is that too much to ask?

Azorbz likes this.
  10. Nike

Nike Duke

Don’t happen. To much time passed.

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

See other thread for info, official word is this fall.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. Frankie_Collector

That's right, it isn't. We already covered it on this thread.

scobb likes this.
  13. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

I think this is just a general beef from him. He's claimed in interviews to have never been paid a dime for "Lust for Life." I think he commented in a convenient place, but this isn't just about the promo single.

I don't think it should hold up any hypothetical Tin Machine box, though. That band apparently split profits four ways. I think the main person he is mad at is Iggy Pop, which has basically nothing to do with Tin Machine.

Azorbz likes this.
  14. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

You can always track down the Paris 99 cd if it's easier...
    Same opening track :D

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  15. Nike

Nike Duke

Hunt Sales/ love his drumming, but man is frikin hobo. He was hired gun for iggy. Nothing more. Man has/had no brain

scenescof likes this.
  16. Nike

Nike Duke

Just saw his/Hunt Sales instgram. Man is lunatic. And put him and Bowie ( TM days) every few days

Azorbz likes this.
  17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah, the dual disc is an expanded version of the EPK.
    The grey sleeve "Tour Edition" in Europe has the full Reality album, live, and is PAL, the NTSC version only has a few tracks on it, not the whole album.

Azorbz likes this.
  18. Frankie_Collector

It’s a love/hate relationship.

19. dalecooper

Was he paid up front? Do you know more about his contract at the time, if there was one? Personally I don't care who he is, I would think he could be compensated a little bit for playing on a track that later generated probably millions in royalties.

20. footprintsinthesand

Sister Midnight ?

21. dalecooper

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop song) - Wikipedia

In pop culture
    "Lust for Life" gained renewed popularity in the late 1990s after being featured in the 1996 British film Trainspotting. The song was heavily featured in the film's marketing campaign and subsequent soundtrack album, resulting in a new UK chart peak of number 26 after being reissued as a single.[9] The single's success inspired Pop's then-label Virgin Records to issue a greatest hits compilation titled Nude & Rude.[10] Pop's biographer Joe Ambrose writes that the song gained the same level of resurgence as the Doors' "The End" after that song's inclusion in Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 film Apocalypse Now.[11] In 1999, Pop reflected on the song's renewed popularity:[12]

When I made Lust for Life, I really thought America was gonna rock to this mother****er. And it took 20 ****in' years which is a really long time to wait. I guess what happened is that there was this system that wasn't gonna ****in' give me a break, and I outlived the system. The movies and advertisers have subverted the stranglehold of radio in America, and there are now other ways for people to hear music. All of a sudden, – a few years ago when Trainspotting came out – I was walkin' down the street and I'd heard Raw Power comin' out of the bars.

Since then, the song has appeared in a number of other movies and commercials, though sometimes with edits to the lyrics; the version of the song in the film Rugrats Go Wild (performed by Bruce Willis) changes "here comes Johnny Yen again" to "here comes Spike the Dog again". In a commercial for Royal Caribbean, "with liquor and drugs," for instance, was replaced by "looks so fine."[citation needed] The song's use in commercial contexts was satirized by the newspaper The Onion in the article "Song About Heroin Used to Advertise Bank".[13] For his part, Iggy Pop has mentioned that he has no problem with his song being used in this manner considering it was previously getting little radio play and the commercials have sparked listener interest.[14] A remix by The Prodigy was featured in Trainspotting's 2017 sequel, T2 Trainspotting.[15] The song is featured in the video game Major League Baseball 2K10.

Jimmy Jam and croquetlawns like this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

Apart from the cult status thanks to Trainspotting it was only a (successful) single in my country, and later streaming doesn't amount to a lot of money. But I love it and Hunt's drumming is the perfect translation of what David heard on the Armed Forces Network tune, while they were in Berlin.

23. dalecooper

Commercial television use can generate huge piles of royalties when using songs by name artists, and it's been in multiple commercials including a big campaign by Royal Caribbean. Likewise for usage of songs in movies, which is not only high paying out of the gate, it also creates royalties in perpetuity from home video, broadcast rights, etc. These channels generate much more revenue for rights holders and artists than streaming does.

This song was semi-ubiquitous on TV and in theaters for a little while. Trust that someone made a pile, though I don't know for sure that it was Iggy.

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

So the likes of Bowie and others have sold their licensing rights for their catalogs have received hundreds of millions of £/$.
    I wonder how it works for the artists on those tracks if that track is used on a film for example.

It’s one thing if say Carlos Alomar was a co-writer but for ‘only’ being a musician on a track you get nothing, otherwise how on earth are these deals made.
    Can you imagine the negotiating to get agreement of every single musician that’s played on every song in a catalog?
    Surely a hired hand in a band such as the 1977 era for Iggy Pop is paid a session rate and a touring band rate if they haven’t negotiated rates for performance of the song in the future then….

Fabrice Outside and croquetlawns like this.
  25. dalecooper

Well the deal would be what it is regardless of who payments are made to on the other end, I believe. I would expect base licensing would be paid out at a set rate to a single party who then distributes the royalties based on percentages among anyone who is owed a cut. Not that Sales negotiated for one, necessarily. But a lot of times, if something unexpectedly makes gobs of money, the rights holder will give a little taste to all the meaningful participants, as a thank you if not a legal obligation.

Bottom line, I'm not sure that he's legally owed anything (and I don't know if he knows, either). But that song has now raked in a lot and he was likely paid little or nothing to drum on it--he says nothing, but it might be that it was a small studio rate at the time which immediately went up his arm. It may also be that the situation was extremely casual (no contract, maybe no formal payment at all) and Sales just wants Iggy to do what he sees as the right thing. Whatever happened, it just seems unfortunate because the drumming is a big part of why the song is so good.

Davido likes this.