David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Hey we finally have an official name and cover! Don’t mind the cover art though I wished they used a photo to keep it consistent with the others, but it’s no biggie. My only disappointment is no Tin Machine, but we kind of expected that to be the case for a while now so it’s no shock (and I realize we don’t have the actual contents yet but the 92-01 date kind of confirms it) I was going to complain about the gall of that Variety article announcing the Warners deal where they say since his death his label has “embarked on a near definitive series of reissue” Until I realized they did say near definitive.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    PunkSaxMix, MGW and croquetlawns like this.
  2. Weaviewonder

Weaviewonder Well-Known Member

After 400 threads I guess I will have to comment here. I’m graphic designer and I think that cover is awful together with a lazy title. I personally would have called it “If I’m Dreaming My Life”. I will be really pissed if the new box set is not the same size as the other 4 era box sets and instead is the same size as the live brilliant adventures box set.

3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I haven’t seen the BLA box, are the dimensions smaller?

4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm thinking this is going to be a robust set, which is why they burned the live albums off to it's own set. We have five albums for sure that will be there, two more "what if" titles (though I have a feeling they might leave Toy off given that it's supposed to be getting it's own deluxe set next year and 2001 will be left with those tracks from the post-911 concert, much like they used the Tina Live In Europe tracks to pad out "1988" on the LTA set) and tons of b-sides and remixes to choose from, this might be the bulkiest Bowie box to date

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes, it's smaller by a good half-inch or so.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

If you take the outer box off, the inner box is about the same size as the BLA box.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

it’s such a minor quibble, but I agree, it will be really annoying if the box isn’t consistent with the rest. My collector ocd is tingling!

bob60 and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Regarding size, remember BLA was meant to be a "bonus box", no frills, just six live albums spanning the period the proper box #5 was to cover, it's not like the regular box sets that have a nice book with them and bulkier material to choose from. This will be the same size as the other four methinks and BLA was basically intended as a supplement

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've no doubt the new box will be the same size. But I also don't think there's any excuse for the BLA box being a different size. I just don't think they thought it through.

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Well, the 80s box cover was atrocious as well on all counts, and unfortunately it stayed that way.

sortvinyl likes this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

A valid point. But then, I'd extend it to all the boxes. The cover art has been mediocre at best, functional at worst.

Steve Carroll likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Exactly, as there still needs the additional space to fit a book(assuming Box Set 5 is not going to go without a Book).

13. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

John Scarisbrick posted on instagram that he's happy to have contributed to box #5. Expect photos from the Corsham Street Sessions in the book!

[​IMG]

14. JustMyself13

JustMyself13 Well-Known Member

Any fan of the Outside needs to pick up the DEK issue that covers it - nearly 30 pages of insider memoirs and photos from those sessions.

15. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Personally I like the image and style of all the boxes except for Five Years.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Is cover a Self Portrait?

17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yes

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  18. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

It’d be nice for them to issue a companion book for the BLA box, with an extra outer box slip case so the format matches the era sets exactly and the outer box becomes the same size.
    For a nominal price of course and at a time when we can order with another release, so there’s no postage hit.

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. depe

depe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

20. PastaSource

PastaSource Well-Known Member

I honestly couldn't care less about the name or design of the box, I just want the records that cost WAAAY too much to buy right now.

21. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

What’s DEK? A magazine?

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  22. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Me too. I have been collecting the records for the last year and a half and have a big hole in my collection between NLMD and Heathen and and even bigger hole in my wallet!

PastaSource and Fabrice Outside like this.
  23. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Here’s the link: Issue 01 — DEK Magazine

And thanks for the reminder - I’ve been meaning to order that for months! :)

Max Florian and croquetlawns like this.
  24. mr fish

mr fish Forum Resident

The cover's a bit....but when it's sat on your shelf it's the spine you'll be looking at.

The title is lame and unimaginative.

When can I give all my money to someone to buy this (whatever it is)?

25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yummy, dhead fish is ever so appealing :nyah:

PunkSaxMix, Sean, scobb and 1 other person like this.