David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

box set seems to be severely lacking to me.
    i'll still get it, but this one feels like a huge let down for what should have been in here, imo

maybe my mind will change when i see the track listing for what's on the 3 cd Recall set

just really wanted that Hours remix everyone was talking about and Leon Suites would have been great. Almost wish i could get just the 3 Recall set, Toy and the live set.

Sean, Beechlander, NunoBento and 5 others like this.
  2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

But where’s excerpts from outside lp version the shortened vinyl version of black tie white noise how can this be.

strangely despite not including ridiculous duplicates like that this seems a bit thin.

Wish they had saved toy and bbc for the next one and given is dance 2 and a hours remix.

hoping they at least have some select remixes in recall if they leave out the live stuff that is now part of BLA, but not holding out too much hope. But really given many of these did not have traditional 7” vinyl releases how can they say specifically what fits that versus a dance item?

scenescof, Runicen and fluxkit like this.
  3. If you eliminate tracks that were on the Brilliant Live Adventures releases you are getting pretty close to 39?I don’t know if the live tracks listed were from those shows.

croquetlawns and Maurice like this.
  4. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

Meh...all this anti climb axe is just making me want HunkyDory 50 more when it presumably drops next spring.

Sean, WeeSam, NunoBento and 1 other person like this.
  5. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

It's not really different but there are some definite vocal differences towards the end I noticed.

gamuzajoe likes this.
  6. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

Released or announced on Bowie’s birthday?

LesMcQueen likes this.
  7. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the only version I’ve heard was the low quality mp3 leak. I didn’t realize there might have been better version out there.

8. Demiurge88

Demiurge88 Forum Resident

Heh, I've been saying Re:Call 5 would almost have to be 3 CDs, and I'm glad to see they decided to do just that. :)

I'm happy. Would maybe have been nice to see some kind of remix/alternate version of an album, but then there was never any reason to think Bowie was dissatisfied with any of these albums as released. It's not like Lodger and Never Let Me Down, nor the various '70s albums that already received remixes in his lifetime.

Either way, I'm satisfied, even if there's nothing hugely surprising. The confirmation of Toy not being exclusive to the box set also explains that leaked/rumored/whatever you want to call it Toy box. We get the album itself in the Brilliant Adventure set, and then an expanded version for whomever would prefer to pick up Toy on its own, or is really interested in whatever the additional discs in that set will contain.

Now I eagerly await details of what is included on Re:Call 5!

9. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Official DB has now posted the TOY artwork and a promise of full info later today.

Sean and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Shall we start a new thread now for the forthcoming deluxe toy boxset?

11. RL4L

RL4L Forum Resident

i mean, If we're sharing custom album covers... [​IMG]
    here's mine

12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Technically, it hasn't been confirmed yet... but I guess a speculation thread would be valid!

Oogie likes this.
  13. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Still find it strange that You’ve Got a Habit of Leaving is the pre-release track. Granted it’s a different mix, but it’s been available for years as a Heathen era B-side. Something like Silly Boy Blue or London Boys would have made much more sense. Or better yet one of the more rare tracks to be included on ReCall 5

Oogie and croquetlawns like this.
  14. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Can someone please tell me, how different is the Omikron soundtrack from hours?

15. Very.

Karmageddon, Sean, NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  16. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

They don't want to give too much away.
    I really like the song.

With regards to the toy artwork.
    It's right they stuck to what bowie originally wanted, its good to now finally see it in all its weird glory. I rather like it.

17. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Seeing it properly for the first time, it's so bad it made me laugh. So I guess I kind of like it for that.

[​IMG]

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Awesome, now I can spell out my own Last Name in Blackstar:agree:.

Roxy6 and bluedemon25 like this.
  19. SoulDrifter

SoulDrifter Forum Resident

Not surprised or disappointed. It's what I expected. Would have LOVED to hear some of the Leon sessions or Contamination, maybe when Outside turns 30 4 years from now.

Maybe this is the least attractive of the box sets in terms of exclusive content. We had Gouster, remixed Lodger, re-recorded NLMD, and now... 5 new songs from a concert most die-hards probably already have in one form or another. Rumor is that theses songs were omitted because David lost his voice, wonder how that's gonna play out.

Regarding Toy, no wonder the record label did not want to release it. I like the cover, probably because it's very off-setting. If that's what he wanted originally, that's how it's gotta be. I probably listened to it very few times back when it leaked, nothing really grabbed me, aside from Shadow Man, which I loved on Nothing Has Changed. Here's hoping that with higher quality and maybe slightly altered track-listing (will Slip Away [Uncle Floyd] be there?) it'll resonate with me more.

Sean, Beechlander, scenescof and 3 others like this.
  20. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Toy is ugliest cover ever. No wonder EMI rejected it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Already having the Sony 2 CD box set should be a rational reason not to get this one, but rational decisions never bothered Bowie, so would should it me?

Runicen, croquetlawns and fluxkit like this.
  21. cartologist

Oh it must be. An apt artifact of a deranged but somehow endearing project.

22. cartologist

I am less interested in Bowie’s collaborators the man himself. To me, apart from Nile Rodgers they do not hold my interest. That includes Eno. All my own long-held beliefs, of course.
    And it’s Erdal Kızılçay, spell it right. :blah:

23. cartologist

It didn’t suck.” It ain’t 1977, fanboys…”

24. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Dear lord. That idea sounded frightening even on paper, but seeing it in action is just... :eek:

25. cartologist

Gott sei dank. The Arista cover had art from a Jungle Book thing, and pretended to be a soundtrack. You really can’t have TWO ugly covers in a box set.

Karmageddon, Roxy6 and croquetlawns like this.