David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Well I guess I gotta post something to follow this thread now....Looking forward to the individual releases. Maybe when Warners starts releasing stuff they'll reissue the box sets ( or create new ones ).

2. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Would love for this set to include the Is It Any Wonder EP in some way, whether as part part of ReCall, or as appearing on an alternate Earthling. As I missed out on that ep, that would probably sway me to purchase.

The resale prices are ridiculous for it, would probably be cheaper to buy the whole new boxset just to get those tracks (if they were included, which they probably won’t be).

Sean, croquetlawns and sparkmeister like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Agreed. I'm not entirely sure what people are complaining about. I guess they could have worked a different background for the painting, but it'll do. As it is, it looks unique.

Agree on this, not sure what they were thinking. As it is, it now looks like BLA was simply an Add-on box to this one because they had so much live material. Which makes the box sizing even more strange.

Agree on one, not the other. I don't think Leon will be in there. I do think Toy will be, though. Leon has more of a pull sold individually, I think. Toy makes more sense to be here since many of the tracks were released.

Are you talking Five Years is larger because of a couple of millimeters? I guess mine might be 1mm of 2mm larger, but that's it.

OneLife, AnthonyCM and bluearmy78 like this.
  4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Hideous cover

5. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Currently sealed vinyl copies are from £24 plus postage on ebay!

bluearmy78 likes this.
  6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Kevin Kline did

7. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

This is my main hope for the box set. I love "Outside", it was the first Bowie album I bought when it came out and it's been a favourite since. I have the "Leon" outtakes digitally but it will make my Xmas to have the album and "Leon" on vinyl or any kind of "re-working" Eno could come up with, bring it on

8. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

I was but I didn't realize his picture was LPs at first . Five Years CD is fatter than the others so the pic threw me for a second .

9. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I’m actually looking for the cd version, which seems to be priced higher for some reason, but will definitely check to see if asking prices are dropping

bluearmy78 and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Gotcha. It's interesting when people have them lined up spine out. This is not how I keep mine. I pull out the inner box, reverse it - so the album spines are faced outward, and then reinsert it. So when I look over at my shelf, I can see the CD spines. Makes it a lot easier to pull one out, without dealing with the box. I guess some of you have the boxes closed and spine facing out.....

sortvinyl likes this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

They're not. :D

12. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

This thread has a lot of speculation for a non speculation thread. I just hope my copy comes with a live fish.
    I don't mind the Bowie self portrait, personally...I do mind the reminder about the BLA debacle title though! ;)

Sean, Fabrice Outside and Slave2chaos like this.
  13. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Leon will of course NOT be included.
    Why would they include outtakes since they didn't include any on the previous boxes ?
    (Parts of The Gouster might be a kind of an exception).
    The guideline has always been to include only stuff thay was released during the period. And throw in a few new mixes for good measures.

They chose the title Brilliant Adventure for a reason. And THEN decided to separate the live albums to create a companion box set, hence the title Brilliant LIVE Adventures.
    But both boxes are parts of the same idea of release. They just didn't want to do a gigantic box which would have been harder to sell.

gamuzajoe, Sean, Oogie and 3 others like this.
  14. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Getting in here to keep up with the complaints.

I’ll say not jazzed on the artwork but been waiting long enough for this my favorite era so you know I’m ordering when I can!

gamuzajoe, Sean, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  15. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Don’t worry Leon will come on outsides 50th anniversary to keep the copywrite in place. Should we start a speculation thread about it?

16. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Santa Monica? Ziggy Motion Picture? Nassau? Glass Spider Montreal?

Roxy6, Wilco, Bandersson and 4 others like this.
  17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Those were all bootlegged contemporaneously...

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

All had been previously released.

Zongadude and johnnyyen like this.
  19. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

the obvious exception is never let me down 2018. I don’t think there is necessarily any rules anymore they have broken most of them I just hope the box is the same size…

croquetlawns and scenescof like this.
  20. SteveMaturin

SteveMaturin Forum Resident

The rules for the boxes have been very fluid. I have no idea what will or will not be in this new one. However, Eno is on record as having discussed with David doing something with the Outside stuff.

David Bowie: Friends and stars pay tribute

That is an early 2016 quote and I can imagine David, with future legacy in mind, making these requests even if he did not let on to Eno just how unwell he was.

But Omikron stuff, Toy etc could all potentially be part of it.

Bowie website says full announcement by end of the month.

Am looking forward to it.

21. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

If this turns out to be real maybe they'll do the same thing with Leon .

22. K52046

K52046 Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to this box. When BTWN and Outside originally came out I struggled with them and ended up not paying much attention to his subsequent albums up to ‘Reality’ (I went back to his 70s output).

After ‘The Next Day’ and ‘Blackstar’ came out I went back to this period and really got into the albums, especially ‘Outside’ (it’s now in my Top 5 Bowie albums). I can’t wait to finally get them on vinyl.

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. scenescof

scenescof Forum Resident

They've literally included bootlegs in the previous boxes (Leon is one of the most sought-after Bowie bootlegs), and - like you've said - The Gouster exists. Oh, and the NLMD rerecording...

I think ruling anything out considering the massive inconsistencies between boxes is a bit mad to be honest. It could include literally anything. I think the Leon tapes won't be included as we know them, and instead we'll get an expanded Outside release which incorporates more of the Leon material (which is pretty much what Bowie asked Eno to create, which is what Eno writes about in Bowie's obituary, and Reeves has indicated he wants a 'finished' version of the material included in box 5).

I believe that it's almost certain that we'll get Toy in this set, and if it's true that BLA was released so Brilliant Adventures could be a full studio box it's likely we'll get a revisited Outside too.

Wilco, Putrifiers II, Sean and 4 others like this.
  24. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

I hope so, Leon/Outside is my favourite period of Bowie.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's not really a matter of what has previously been bootlegged, you've got to think in economic terms. Will they blow two big releases of box bait on one box? I don't think so. I'd say it's either Leon or Toy. Not both. They need material for RSD and whatnot, and that'll be time to release one or other of these. I also think Toy will be in this set, but if they go with Leon, then that adds weight to the separate Toy release outside it, imo. Given the amount of material that was recorded for Outside, I'd actually love a box set dedicated just to it.

gamuzajoe and croquetlawns like this.