David Bowie - Brilliant LIVE Adventures (1995-1999)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

They have announced BLA 5 Early, on sale on Friday:

“Lived all our best times...”

Some of you have successfully second-guessed BLA 5, on account of it already having been released for streaming last year. The news is that it will be available for pre-order this coming Friday, 26th February, with a release date of 12th March on CD and double vinyl.

Keep reading for the full press release.

#BowieSomethingInTheAir #DBBLA #BrilliantLiveAdventures

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

DAVID BOWIE

‘SOMETHING IN THE AIR (LIVE PARIS 99)’

TO BE RELEASED ON CD AND 2xLP 12th MARCH

FIFTH RELEASE IN ‘BRILLIANT LIVE ADVENTURES’ SERIES OF SIX SINGLE PRESSING LIVE ALBUMS FROM THE 1990s VINYL, CD AND LIMITED EDITION BOXES TO HOUSE COMPLETE SETS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY VIA THE DAVID BOWIE OFFICIAL STORE & WARNER MUSIC GROUP’S DIG! STORE

24th February 2021 London Parlophone Records is proud to announce the newest instalment of DAVID BOWIE 'BRILLIANT LIVE ADVENTURES', a series of six live albums from various 1990s era Bowie performances being released on vinyl and CD as limited one run only pressings. The albums and limited-edition boxes for both vinyl and CD to house the full collection will be available only via the David Bowie official store and Warner Music Group’s Dig! store.

The fifth in the series, out 12th March on CD and double vinyl, is SOMETHING IN THE AIR (LIVE PARIS 99) a 15-track live album, featuring 12 previously unreleased recordings and three B-sides of singles from the ‘hours…’ album. The day of the show was a momentous one for Bowie, as that afternoon he was awarded the Commandeurs of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, the highest artistic honour that France can bestow.

The Elysée Montmartre performance was one of only seven full shows promoting the ‘hours…’ album. For this special limited run of gigs Bowie dug deep into his back catalogue making these shows particularly memorable. Standout tracks include ‘Can’t Help Thinking About Me’ first released in 1966 and not performed live in over 30 years, 'Word On A Wing' from Station To Station reinstated into the set after a 23-year absence, 'Drive-In Saturday' performed for the first time since 1974, and ‘hours…’ track 'Something In The Air’ in its first live performance.

SOMETHING IN THE AIR (LIVE PARIS 99) was recorded live at the Elysée Montmartre on 14th October 1999. It was mixed by Mark Plati, and features Bowie backed by Page Hamilton – guitar, Gail Ann Dorsey – bass, vocals, Mark Plati – guitar, Sterling Campbell – drums, Mike Garson – piano, keyboards, synthesisers and Emm Gryner and Holly Palmer – backing vocals.

DAVID BOWIE - SOMETHING IN THE AIR (LIVE PARIS 99) CD TRACKLISTING

01 - Life On Mars? (David Bowie)

02 - Thursday's Child (David Bowie/Reeves Gabrels)

03 - Something In The Air (David Bowie/Reeves Gabrels)

04 - Word On A Wing (David Bowie)

05 - Can't Help Thinking About Me (David Bowie)

06 - China Girl (David Bowie/Iggy Pop)

07 - Always Crashing In The Same Car (David Bowie)

08 - Survive (David Bowie/Reeves Gabrels)

09 - Drive-In Saturday (David Bowie)

10 - Changes (David Bowie)

11 - Seven (David Bowie/Reeves Gabrels)

12 - Repetition (David Bowie)

13 - I Can't Read (David Bowie/Reeves Gabrels)

14 - The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell (David Bowie/Reeves Gabrels)

15 - Rebel Rebel (David Bowie)

DAVID BOWIE - SOMETHING IN THE AIR (LIVE PARIS 99) LP TRACKLISTING

Side 1

Life On Mars?

Thursday's Child

Something In The Air

Side 2

Word On A Wing

Can't Help Thinking About Me

China Girl

Always Crashing In The Same Car

Side 3

Survive

Drive-In Saturday

Changes

Seven

Side 4

Repetition

I Can't Read

The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell

Rebel Rebel

DAVID BOWIE - 'SOMETHING IN THE AIR (LIVE PARIS 99)' IS AVAILABLE ON ISO RECORDS/PARLOPHONE RECORDS 12th MARCH ON CD AND 2xLP

Ken.e., Gavaxeman, Curveboy and 5 others like this.
  2. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

But I want to order it now!

3. Cat People

I think I enjoyed that Willy Wonka clip more than I will BLA5 ! ;)

Mikewest and AlienRendel like this.
  4. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

With Something in the Air announced as the next disc, I can safely say I probably won't have any interest in the remaining one. Much as I might have enjoyed--or, TRIED to enjoy--...Hours at the time, I can't say I have much need to revisit that period these days, beyond the album itself on occasion.

I have the Glastonbury 2000 set, and have little need to revisit that, either. Frankly, I'd have preferred them doing a proper release of a single, complete, NIN/Bowie show from the Outside tour than this set.

Mikewest likes this.
  5. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

I, for one, am very glad about BLA5. This show is sublime. And i like hours...

6. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I'm mostly in the same boat... at the time, those 1999-2000 shows felt like a HUGE step back for DB - a few highlights from the back catalog, but otherwise a lot of predictable arrangements of the classics or cuts from his weakest post-Tin Machine LP. Glastonbury 2000 is a bit better thanks to the venue and Hours-free setlist, but otherwise time hasn't changed my assessment at all. (And I think DB agrees with me, given that stuff from Outside and Earthling showed up at Glastonbury, but nothing from Hours, and nothing from Hours would appear during A Reality Tour, either).

OTOH, I'm a completist, so... I guess I need to set a reminder for Friday AM. :sigh:

Cat People likes this.
  7. Cat People

F5 button, prepare thyself! ;)

wabrit, pobbard and DBMethos like this.
  8. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really wish they would have went with a 1996 show instead of two Hours shows.

9. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

Still waiting for the Phoenix lp. Anyone else?
    I ordered this time at Dig! but I don’t dig this...

10. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

:righton: fully agree about the gig and the album !

on top of it the sound/mix on Paris'99 is scrumptious , the best one of the lot , that is unless they decide to f***k it up at the last minute...

Jake362 likes this.
  11. gomen ne

gomen ne -

(it's a bit boring after the Outside/Earthling gigs imo).

I heard Look At The Moon on an mp3 and thought it was a bit lame compared to the 95/96 gigs. The old hits in particular watered down the experience for me, and their re-arrangements just seemed a little desperate. What worked well imo were the Earthling tracks, but I think the US 95 Tour was the best. I still think they should have released the Dance Tent gig or something like it for a bit of freshness.

Looking forward to EBay scalpers making a loss on this.

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  12. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I’m not convinced your theory holds water. Glastonbury 2000 was geared toward playing the hits, but there were other shows that summer. He played four songs from Hours at Roseland on 16 June, and two songs at the BBC Radio Theatre on 27 June.

He also played “Survive” several times on the 2002 Heathen Tour.

mythnormadman and Bink like this.
  13. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

You just alert fakin scalpers from ebay &. Thank anyway. I participate in f group

14. lildroogie

lildroogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kinda like hours too... not my favorite, but I like a bunch of the songs. Would have enjoyed if Cracked Actor and Ashes to Ashes had been on this setlist (also played during this period/tour like thing)

15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Those two were played at every show from NYC onwards, so they are bound to be a part of BLA6, whichever show they choose to release.

16. Cat People

Don't know if you are new around here, but we let each other know when the announcements occur and don't sit around worrying about if scalpers are reading these threads.
    It was also announced on the main Bowie site today and on Kooks, too. So if the scalpers want to know about it,
    they have plenty of ways of finding out about releases apart from this thread, on this forum.

17. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

the " it's in the trees " part could be borrowed from the movie " Night of the Demon " by Jacques Tourneur where a skeptic scientist is being chased around by...the Demon.

why ? I couldn't tell you...I've seen a few gigs from that period and can't remember seeing trees onstage either :laugh:

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

19. Daniel Plainview

20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Not sure if I’ll buy this one since I already have the streaming version. It’s so expensive with the separate shipping charges; not sure I can justify it.

Update: Checked and I only have the Wardour bootleg, so I guess I'll be buying after all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  21. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

I know that we gave hints here, but I don’t know there is news on official bowie face. i thought it was just on fb db kooks.

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

When I saw this set was called Look to the Moon, my immediate thought was is that something DB said at the beginning of Spaceboy instead of the lights or it's in the trees!

23. Daniel Plainview

He seems to be genuinely irritated about it in this clip. I thought someone was filming the show illegally outside the building from a tree or something.

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I wonder if his irritation is aimed at the person in the audience who thought it was a good idea to throw confetti at him during the song!

25. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Received LATM today - and I finally received my boxsets as well. They were posted at the end of November 2020 I think and I had given up that I would receive them. It's nice to have everything complete now :)