David Bowie - Brilliant LIVE Adventures (1995-1999)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Back to the music, any guess on what BLA6 might be?
    What are the likely candidates?

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

NYC is the most obvious choice, but they haven’t always gone with the obvious in this series — which is a good thing.

Copenhagen is my preference. I’ll be ecstatic if they go with that one.

London Astoria is the outside bet.

Curveboy, CBackley and Nicode70 like this.
  3. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Same here. Mine is supposedly hitting the post office today. We'll see how long it takes after that. My local post office where it will go is 5 minutes from my house but of course you can't just pick it up...

fwelm and Curveboy like this.
  4. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

can't tell but if there is some sort of logic to this madness I'll make 2 remarks :

if I'm not mistaken the Kit Kat gig that made the rounds was incomplete from the start ( the Virgin promo ) . There's been plenty of situations when an artist drops this or that track because they felt it was not " good enough " . if this is the case, I don't really need the NYC gig again ( it's been bootlegged to death in perfect quality ) , even if more complete.

I have the Astoria gig somewhere and always felt it was not very strong vocally , so doesn't sound like a good contender either to me...

sorry , didn't answer the question , more likely tried to cross out 2 options :laugh:

5. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Should we expect another box dedicated to 1995-96 including :
    - Leon suites
    - Phoenix 96

What do you think ?

6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Just had my Warner’s Canada notification that they’ve produced a shipping label. ETA 15th March.
    At least the found them in the new warehouse I guess.

fwelm and chaz like this.
  7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have to admit, a similar thought went through my mind, although I was thinking more towards Contamination and a 2nd set from the Outside sessions.

Indeed, I have wondered if the delay with the 90's boxset might be due to them waiting for Brian Eno to work on those albums.

When they announced a few years ago that a movie was being made based on Outside, I started thinking that it could be even more likely that Brian might help finish off those albums that DB intended to make from those sessions.

Azorbz and vlad676 like this.
  8. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

What would be really great is a separate set dedicated to the Leon Suites, Outside Out-takes, and Contamination.

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The whole idea of Contamination does intrigue me. I remember DB talking about it in an interview and he said something like "believe me there are absolute gems there". What I have never really understood is whether he recorded a load of completely finished songs in the Outside sessions or whether his plan was to create brand new songs from the mammoth, improvised sessions.

10. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

My BLA 4 shipped on Feb 9, still no trace of it. Well, maybe it will turn up one of these days.....

Azorbz and Curveboy like this.
  11. RrobynneUK

RrobynneUK Well-Known Member

The Leon Suites is the big question mark. Personally I think Eno fiddling about with the sessions would be too 'original' in terms of previously-released material being the focus of the big boxes, it's a big step beyond even the Never Let Me Down re-recording, let alone the Lodger re-mix. The "Suites" bootleg properly mastered might see a release in the box, on a Gouster-y basis, but I doubt we'll see anything like 2. Contamination in these sets. It'd require such heavy re-working from Eno too that I imagine that sort of thing would be more likely to come out distributed under the Eno banner more than the Bowie banner.

...All of which ignores the degree to which Eno does not seem fond of revisiting past projects, unless it's to recontextualise them into the context of whatever he's working on at present like the Apollo reissue or his installation work. I'm still crossing my fingers for a CD issue of the Obscure Records recording of Irma one day.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Not sure I agree with that. He's reissued 6 albums thus far, some with bonus discs in book format: The Drop, Apollo, Wrong Way Up, Nerve Net, Spinner, Shutov Assembly, Neroli. We also got an enhanced Mixed Colors, the release of RAM, and of course the Film Music retrospective. Seems to me he's been looking at his back catalog quite a bit in recent years.

Maurice likes this.
  13. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I'm in the batch that clearly didn't get shipped until enough people here whined about it. Supposed to deliver today...but after UPS dumped it on USPS it's not showing again.

I'd be way less crabby about it if they charged us for media mail or something cheap, but they charge first class shipping for something to show up 4 weeks late. I've had equally bad luck with Rhino and the Bowie official store.

Curveboy likes this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Same for me...is supposed to be here TODAY but the tracking is showing...nada.
    Meanwhile the mailman was downstairs when I came in and he blocks off the mail room until he's done...so fingers crossed!

15. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Mine was ordered from Rhino and I received it today!

Curveboy and Jake362 like this.
  16. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Same!

Curveboy likes this.
  17. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Disco King

18. RrobynneUK

RrobynneUK Well-Known Member

Hmm, I mean more in-depth revisiting like the extended sort of work (and time) an expanded 1. Outside reissue would take, should've been specific. It'd be more like him reforming Roxy Music than like his recent solo reissues, not sure I see it - though I'm sure he may be involved in the more basic reissue components of the 90s box-set one way or another where it directly concerns his input.

19. Did I say these would be selling millions of copies? No. I didn’t say ANYTHING about sales figures.I pointed out that this has been poorly thought and and developed and it has. When Rhino Handmade was producing small quantities of titles over a decade ago, they did a better job of keeping on top of supply, demand and customer service. I guess when you have nothing to compare this to, you might think they are doing a fine job.

Wilco and Fabrice Outside like this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm not saying the Brilliant Adventures project has been a nightmare - but it's soured me toward playing the bloody discs! In fact, I've only played one of them thus far. By the time I get my copy I'm just fed up about the whole thing!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    chaz and wayneklein like this.
  21. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

NO MORE LIVE ALBUMS OF 90'S PLEASE:shake:

Shvartze Shabbos, TeddyB and scobb like this.
  22. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

well, that's kind of the whole purpose of this thread.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Mine was ordered from Rhino and I didn't receive it today! :laugh:

On the positive side, a CD I ordered from a Discogs seller in Germany finally arrived... 9 weeks after it shipped!

wayneklein likes this.
  24. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

can't wait to get the 5th cd in the mail and order and receive the 6th disc and just be done with this headache....

i really hope they don't do this again, unless we can somehow save on shipping and the qty's aren't so limited.

Azorbz, Markyp, OneLife and 4 others like this.
  25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I know you’re making a larger point about Eno’s work, and you probably don’t mean this in a literal sense, but, seeing as you’ve hit upon one of my bugbears, I’ll bite. The future of Roxy Music is not Brian Eno’s to decide; it never was. Roxy is Bryan Ferry’s band, and always was. The songs, the vision were all Ferry’s. As a long-time Roxy collector, it irritates me how much Eno’s contribution is routinely over-egged.

Carry on :)

RrobynneUK, Roxy6 and TeddyB like this.