David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I just hope we get more stuff from the vaults

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  2. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I heard there was a track similar to five years Bowie performed live in 71, I wonder if there's a recording? Either live or as a demo, that would be great

MGW likes this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

4. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Cynic! :laugh: I don't deny these guys their brief flicker of fame though.

It's a bit of a non-review isn't it? Frustrating. They don't talk about the Reverend etc, and it doesn't seem that they have even had access to the box they're supposed to be reviewing - and it wasn't out on Nov 1st either! Apart from that it's OK :).
    Long-established journalistic traditions have been maintained.

MGW and footprintsinthesand like this.
  5. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

I don't see this release being promoted like the previous ones

6. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yeah! It's quite noticeable in its absence from Mojo, Q or Record Collector unless I've missed it. I've been looking for reviews of it, but haven't noticed any. Perhaps they haven't been supplied with a free copy? Why?
    Only a week to go! I'm stoked - this is one of my favourite Bowie albums, but I get that everybody would rather have Tin Machine. Next time ;) !

7. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

New Uncut magazine has nine pages

9-PAGE 1969 BOWIE FEATURE IN JANUARY UNCUT

“And so the story goes…”

The January 2020 issue of Uncut Magazine (Uncut Take 272) comes in a printed presentation bag and celebrates 50 years of Bowie's Space Oddity album and the release next week of the Conversation Piece 5CD set.

The bag contains a special Collector's Cover and Uncut’s bespoke Bowie Bulletin - a double-sided fanzine documenting Bowie’s 1969 lift off, bringing together archival pieces from the pages of Melody Maker, NME, Disc And Music Echo and the lesser-spotted Fab 208 on one side, folding out to a beautiful A1 poster on the reverse.

The Bowie Bulletin accompanies a 9-page cover feature, wherein Tony Visconti recalls the full story of Bowie’s stellar breakthrough year in close-up – even down to the type of sandwiches he and Bowie enjoyed for lunch during recording sessions at Trident Studios.

The presentation bag, Collector's Cover and Bowie Bulletin are only available on UK newsstands, though a limited number of copies are available to buy online here: https://smarturl.it/UNCUTsubscribe

The January 2020 issue of Uncut is out on November 14.

#BowieUNCUT #SpaceOddity50 #DBCP2019

[​IMG]

8. gomen ne

gomen ne -

That'll do. :thumbsup:

9. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Not long to go, soooooo excited, Think I will have an OCCASIONAL DREAM, write a LETTER TO HERMIONE and go see my friend the WILD EYED BOY FROM FREECLOUD, really sorry if these are terrible but hey, everyone needs a giggle don't they?

skisdlimit, Gavaxeman and MGW like this.
  10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Yes ill have to make SPACE for this ODDITY

Aaa3 and MGW like this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Just sitting here listening to Space Oddity (Parlophone). Not only is this a good CD version (IMO), but this album is simply superb. Sure, I've always loved it, but man does it ever hold up. Given the price of this new set, and with a certainty that prices will tumble sooner rather than later, I'm going to resist temptations to hold off. The demo's and such will be great to have, and I'll enjoy hearing what Visconti does with it (I assume he'll improve the sound stage, since the album has a lot of hard panning going in). Either way, Space Oddity is such a great album in its own right. Sheer joy!

MGW likes this.
  12. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I agree it's a wonderful and even now undervalued album. If you compare it to most albums released since Live Aid (my own rough delineating line where music starts to decline in quality) this would win.

I don't share your enthusiasm for the Parlophone remaster though. Each to his own. The big question for me regarding the 2019 remix is did Mr Visconti use the same source as that used for Five Years, which would seem to have been heavily doctored perhaps due to its poor condition? Are there multiple sources for this album from which to make a remix, I wonder?

13. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m just wondering if the equivalent box set for next year for TMWSTW era will be preceded by a number of vinyl singles box sets?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I sure they will do something to make more money, I wonder what the sales were for the second and third singles box bet, I got the first one but never opened it,

15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Well by the time of TMWSTW Jonesy probably wasn't sending demo acetates to any and all record companies, so Parlo cannot use that excuse to cut up a recording into useless pieces. And there's likely to be better artwork (couldn't get any worse, unless they're making up alternate cartoon covers).

16. nick jones

things will be better next year

TeddyB likes this.
  17. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

There's a HOLE IN THE GROUND That leads to ANIMAL FARM In JERUSALEM.

18. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

They've already shown their hand with that strategy, doubt anyone will humor them a second time.

19. gomen ne

gomen ne -

The excellent Shindig! Magazine has a few pages and a cover. It's in the shops but I didn't buy it yet. Inside there's what must be one of the last photos of (it looks like) Hermie and Bowie just before he got the perm.

This LP is 50 on Thursday! I can still remember walking to school in the snow in 1969, probably just when this was LP was released.
    Shindig! Issue #97

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Is that set confirmed as being in the works, or is this forum talk? My main hope will be that they stick with the format so we d0n't get yet another reissue program that looks like s**t on the shelf. I also wish they'd revert the artwork of MWSTW to the black and white photo, which I prefer over the original (mind you, I prefer the "Johnny Rotten" head shot for Space Oddity too.)

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have said for ages that the RCA cover for TMWSTW is the best and most indicative of the music therein (maybe not from an image point of view, but the music "kicks"). I find ALL the Mercury covers to be failing, even the "preferred" dress cover doesn't really "fit" the music, it would actually fit Hunky Dory, better than TMWSTW.

Regarding the DB69 album, or Space Oddity if you want, I have always enjoyed it since I first heard it in 1984 (with Ziggy pic and without Don't Sit Down). I don't mind the original UK cover of that and liked that in 1977 Bowie visited a Victor Vasarely exhibition and had photos taken with some other of his work, (he was the artist who did the "dotty" background).

Cat People and Vaughan like this.
  22. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Looks like it :/

23. nick jones

Did anyone receive this box already?

24. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

I doubt Bowie wanted this to be released.

Also, Visconti again? I'm tired of your compressed crap, man.

gazatthebop and sortvinyl like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Which puts an other confirmation in my belief that the artist themselves are most often the worst curators of their work. I think they are, inevitably, too close to it. I think it's wonderful this is being released, I'm really looking forward to digging into it. Bowie himself may not have approved, but as a fan of his music I'm excited.

If you don't like Visconti, you can avoid the release, I guess.

For me it depends on how they handle them. If we get a series of books with CD's, that look good on the shelf - and have something to read in them - then I'd say there's reason to be excited, even though we've had very good Special Editions in the past. Sure would be great if the Berlin Trilogy got some love and attention though.

No, but the funds should be taken tomorrow for a delivery on Friday, so only a couple days to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.