David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Note that I've got no problem with the yearly boxes. What I have a problem with is the inability to finish one reissue campaign (meaning the ccareer spanning vinyl boxes) before moving on to the next.

akmonday likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, I get it. That's why we never get a damn Berlin Trilogy set - every reissue campaign at the Special Edition level runs out of steam in 1975. It is absolutely maddening.

On the plus front, we might actually get more stuff this time around. I mean Conversation Piece is extraordinary really, isn't it? Not sure we'd of gotten that a few years ago.

audiotom, Jmac1979 and NunoBento like this.
  3. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I said ages ago there wasn’t a market for sets covering his later career. It was pure speculation based on a hunch of course, but this if true would confirm that. Which is not to say they won’t reissue, say, the BTWN expanded box, and the Outside, earthling and Hours 2 cd sets. Plus a few RSD “exclusives” of live shows and maybe later Toy. Oh what fun.....

maui jim likes this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Here's hoping a renewed interest in Bowie (since his passing) makes it worthwhile.

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

Is the 2019 remix the only element of this set that will be available in 24/96, or are the other extras also available in a deluxe download? Thanks.

6. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Aaa3 likes this.
  7. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I just hope they keep releasing unheard tracks and give them as much love and attention as this box seems to have

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Just received notice mine has shipped, so I should have it on release day - tomorrow.

TheLoveDrags and Aaa3 like this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

10. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I'm liking the 2019 mix so far, personally. I like how it's not merely a copy of the old mix updated. It is a wide mix, but I love me a nice wide stereo mix, only if both channels are balanced in terms of content. Makes headphone listening fun. And sure, some mixes work better than others. I'm really vibing with the "Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed" mix. The omission of "Don't Sit Down" isn't that much of an issue with me either. It's still on the original album, and this mix isn't meant to replace the regular one. The title track sounds beautiful, better in its full length iteration than the edited version released this past summer.

Sean, Ludger, maui jim and 1 other person like this.
  11. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

Space Oddity was a bit trebly and harsh on the highs and I can already tell Visconti had fun making it all echoey though it does fit the idea of a space you could say. Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed so far sounds very nice.

12. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

the new mix to me makes the album sound far more of a piece with his early 70s output - I'm enjoying it very much, sounds more like a 'Bowie' album to me now.

TeddyB likes this.
  13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I'm enjoying the new mix too (on vinyl - it arrived yesterday. 'Silver' vinyl, but more 'muddy grey' really...)

I can't see me spending hours comparing it to the original mix but it does sound different enough to retain some interest for me. I'm listening to 'An Occasional Dream' right now and Tony has certainly worked some magic here...

This was the first Bowie album I ever heard (1970s RCA reissue version with poster). Loved it then. Still love it now. Happy camper.

14. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Wait! 'Conversation Piece'?! - Inserted in the middle of Side Two... I wasn't expecting that...

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I agree. The mix of Space Oddity itself seems influenced by the Spiders 1973 version.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  16. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Mine is "Out for delivery"!:goodie:

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Mine arrived today . Beautiful package , and good value imo , plenty of text and some lovely photos , similar packaging to the white album deluxe . Just need some time to listen to it now!

18. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind getting the remixed Space Oddity album vinyl, but I ain't paying £30 for it, that's crazy!

Rob Byrne likes this.
  19. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Arrived, and as you say beautifully packaged and rather heavy. Unfortunately one corner of the book is damaged (presumably during packaging at the factory) so back it goes for a replacement. Listening will have to wait for another day.

20. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yep. I've just got mine and as I expected the book is "Da Bomb" as is apparently the current terminology. It is definitely worth the money - 5 cds and a really high quality heavyweight book with amazing photographs and two setlists from the Growth gigs!!! :drool::drool: I also got the 2019 mix on black vinyl. Happy with that.
    Right - first stop: check the SQ on April's Tooth of Gold, check some of the unknown tracks, then I'll see what Visconti has done with Cygnet Committee.

Electric Sydney and hulloder72 like this.
  21. gomen ne

gomen ne -

:shake:

22. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Overall I am quite happy with the new mix EXCEPT my favorite Track of the Album Cygnet Committee.
    Everything is more sepreated BUT because of that the TV-2019 Version lacks a bit of the Prog-Rock-Punch of the original mix. Its a bit more Folkrock and less Progrock now (IMO)
    Still an interesting alternate version to the original mix though!

gomen ne likes this.
  23. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yes - you're right. It's great to hear the arrangements highlighted in different areas. Cygnet is interesting but not a replacement for the original mix. I wouldn't want it to be though.
    I'm really enjoying Herbie Flowers' (or is it TV's?) bass on MOAFF. Funky. "God's Land" is back.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  24. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

This set is top-notch.

Absolutely wonderful to hear all the totally unknown tracks.

'Jerusalem' is especially a joy to hear.

skisdlimit and gomen ne like this.
  25. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

The Reverend Raymond Brown (Attends the Garden Fête on Thatchwick Green)

melodic bits were recycled for this classic 40 years later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.