David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Have posted this before but WITW in the HM mix has a different vocal at the “don’t you know your life itself” line. Ruins it, imho.

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I don't know and I have both! I shall try and sit down with them and go through the track listings song by song. You could try Discogs and get both tracklists and see if there is enough information to check. I liked the double cd package from 2009 and will keep mine.

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

somewhere earlier in the thread there was a list of tracks that aren't on CP but were on the 2009 2cd.

London Bye Tata (stereo version), The Prettiest Star (stereo version), Conversation Piece (stereo version), Memory Of A Free Festival pt 1, Memory Of A Free Festival, pt 2, Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (alt album mix), Memory Of A Free Festival (alt album mix), London Bye Tata (alt stereo mix)

Some of them are 1970 recordings

4. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Biting hard not to buy this

Didn’t bite on the earlier 7” incarnations

Interested in your input

Have never heard these other songs or demos

Wouldn’t want to hear an aBowienation of the album - if it’s bad
    Once heard Those things cannot be undone

Then again the Young Americans Gouster sidestep was interesting despite JIOD dreck

5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Does the campaign run out of steam or does the record company think Low/Heroes/Lodger won’t Sell well with the avant garde trapping most bonus cuts would be

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is a different proposition from Gouster. Gouster included finished tracks - this set, mostly, does not. The demos are VERY rough in places. For my that's the beauty of them, but if you're wanting a Gouster level performance, then you'll be mightly disappointed. This is mostly Bowie playing rough versions into a cassette player, with all the pitfalls that suggests. You can either live with that or not. I'm loving it.

7. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

As has been mentioned before, Parlophone’s contact with the Bowie estate was quietly extended this year, according to Steve Pafford.
    If that now ends in 5 years and a Conversation Piece type set comes by once a year then they’ll be at Diamond Dogs when it ends or is renewed.

Flaming Torch and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

There's a quiet and easily overlooked link in @TMegginson's post which deserves to be more prominent, as it's some well-informed speculation about what is going on with these releases, I think: A CONVERSATION ABOUT THE LATEST BOWIE ANNOUNCEMENT — JEFF ROUGVIE

9. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

Very happy I got the Silver vinyl edition of this, but moreover I'm very happy with the release as a whole. this is honestly the one bowie album I'm least familiar with, it was one of the last bowie albums I ever bought. I quite like the remix work, added reverb doesn't bother me in the slightest.

pablo fanques and Vaughan like this.
  10. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

So I think the 2019 remix of Space Oddity is excellent. Not sure the title track needed a remix, but the rest of the LP is significantly improved. No doubt, this being Visconti's (nearly) first production for Bowie back in 1969, that being able to go back 50 years later with full knowledge of the "classic" Bowie sound gave Visconti a lot of needed hindsight. For me, it's brought out all sort of elements in the original recording - and vocal clarity - that were never there before.

I liked the Lodger remix, and appreciated the effort/thought put into the NLMD remake/remix, but this might be the first must-have Bowie LP remix for me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    imsjry and Vaughan like this.
  11. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

there's interesting information in here and a few things I'm desperately glad never happened; remixing Ziggy with a different guitarist? No way. And his claim that the vinyl 'boom' is over is also doesn't jibe with reality.

tin ears likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's an interesting read, although it's really annoying when he interjects his opinion on the quality of the music, I'd of thought he'd of been able to enjoy Tin Machine rather than taking a cheap shot as he has. And then he lays into the new rSO emix, something I wholly disagree with him about. He'd of been better sticking to facts and speculation.

Still, is this current set of releases predatory? I'm not so sure. Conversation Piece is expensive, but then again look at it - it's beautiful. It's an amazing artifact. The earlier Vinyl versions were suspect, I guess. But once again, vinyl heads are used to getting fleeced at this point.

That and - we DID finally get some things not previously released - 3 discs worth in this set. That's huge, imo. I think the guy might still be a little bitter he wasn't able to open the vaults during the Ryko days....

On the next releases.... Man Who Sold the World is going to be special, since we've never had a Special Edition of that. Same with Hunky Dory, it's been neglected over the years. By the time we get to Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, and Diamond Dogs - we've already had some pretty damn good Special Editions in the past, so they have a strong foundation on which to build. If they keep the same format as Conversation Piece, imagine how they'd all look on the shelf!

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Agreed. Like it or not, Visconti is a large part of the Bowie we all love. The remix is a nice listen, and the original is there for those who don't like it. It just needs an open mind, imo.

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Your English teacher will be shocked after teaching you how to use 'to have' correctly

How this stuff looks on the shelf should be pretty irrelevant, even though we all long for some sort of consequent packaging.

Wilco likes this.
  15. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

This series won’t go past Young Americans (1975).

16. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Good luck with it going that far. If history has taught us anything...

17. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I know exactly what you mean. It's the slide guitar - but I can't place it.

18. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Oh yeah!

19. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I’ve been waiting for “deluxe” editions of The Man Who Sold the World and Hunky Dory since I got into Bowie around 2003. The departure of Tony Visconti and Ken Pitt and the arrival of Mick Ronson, Angela Bowie, Ken Scott and Tony DeFries was great for his career but not so much personally.
    I could leave Pinups out of my Bowie collection without losing anything of substance. His insistence on recording covers years after he had need to is baffling. Unlike some other artists (The Who come to mind) none of his cover versions—excepting “Wild Is the Wind”—rise above the mediocre.

skisdlimit and audiotom like this.
  20. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

PinUps was a stopgap.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Nah, I always considered someone taking time out of their day to correct grammar on the Internet as being a bit of a fool. She had far too much class to do it.

For you, perhaps. I guess they could ship your stuff in a sock and you'd be happy. Me, I think they took the material to a different level with the book. it's conception and presentation is wonderful, and makes all the difference. It's almost as though, for decades, record labels have been designing things so they're pleasing to the eye.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Slave2chaos and pablo fanques like this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I wonder if that statement was made because of the length of the current deal. Since that deal has been extended on two occasions, it could always happen again - perhaps?

pablo fanques likes this.
  23. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

They verbally committed to a career spanning set which has a question mark above it now.
    At least they are being a bit more circumspect with this new series of sets(?)

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Aha, name calling is your solution, very classy.

Wilco and audiotom like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm sorry, did you resemble that remark?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.