David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

LTA vinyl box on amazon.com at 116 dollars currently.

2. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I already have the vinyl box sets (I actually LIKED the photos and extra stuff) and I am still looking forward to this new set! Particularly unheard tracks like, 'April's Tooth Of Gold', 'Reverend Raymond Brown' and ones nobody even heard of! (Jerusalem? Animal Farm) I am obviously in a minority as I think the book is great to as I always get the Bowie books when they're out anyhow. I am obviously a mug lol. I do wonder why 'Pu55y Cat' and other rarities like that couldn't have been included though? Will they ever be released?

Ludger, MGW and gomen ne like this.
  3. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Totally with you about these unheard tracks and the 120 page book! This is what box sets should be about in my opinion.
    Pu55y Cat was a 1967 easy listening outtake from just after the Deram sessions, so would be out of context on the Conversation Piece box.

Ludger likes this.
  4. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I agree and thanks for info

5. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Also had a look on YouTube and the 1967 demo Pu55y cat is NOT the Jess Conrad song(if you type in 1967 demos there's a vid with snippets from a tape up for auction) but a totally different song written by David himself. Perhaps someone could post the link on here? Don't know how to do it myself sorry :(

6. nick jones

nick jones Well-Known Member

the Pussycat recorded by Bowie is different

croquetlawns and gomen ne like this.
  7. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Good find. Those Omega Auctions are bringing some clarity. I got my info from Nick Pegg's book, who must be mistaken unless Bowie had two Pussycats.
    "8th March 1967 - David recorded a cover version of 'Pu55y Cat' an easy-listening novelty later recorded by Jess Conrad and released as the B-side of his 1970 single 'Crystal Ball Dream'."
    But Conrad had also released it (written by Charles Blackwell) in 1964.

Chris O'Leary has a bit about it:
    Brief Thoughts on Three Deram Outtakes

Even the recent bootleg Occasional Dreaming has Conrad's Pu55y Cat.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It just shows ya!

nick jones likes this.
  8. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Great thanks! With these (and first ever recording 'I Never Dreamed') up for auction does this mean nobody will ever hear them?

9. nick jones

nick jones Well-Known Member

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That’s cool- I can easily imagine teenage Bowie’s vocals on that. I personally love the pre-debut Lp stuff.

11. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Personally, I love the 60s Bowie stuff and look forward to hearing anything unreleased(later or 60s) I think with Bowie we are so lucky because unlike a lot of artists he recorded an amazing amount of material because he was so prolific, meaning there's loads in the vault still to discover. Three cheers for that!!!

gomen ne and Ludger like this.
  12. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I wouldn't pay £86 for this, as much as I would like it for my vast collection.

Only circumstances I would pay out for it would be in a 3 for 2 deal via superdeluxeedition or if it was drastically put on offer after the initial rush of purchases occurred. This is despite being a massive fan of the Dame's work.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have this on pre-order, but this week I got Tull's Stormwatch set for less than half what they want for the Bowie, which kind of puts it into perspective. I'm going to leave it on pre-order, but I fully expect this to be discounted not too far down the line.