David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

While I am sometimes pleasantly surprised, the fact is I *never* expect outtakes to be as good as the released material. it's sometimes unpolished, unfinished, and the core catalog if so welded to my memory and expectations. Still, I love to hear it all. In fact, I downloaded much of the material from Conversation Piece when it was released on Vinyl, and I think it's great. Is it polished like what was found on vinyl at the time? No. But it's great nonetheless.

Ludger likes this.
  2. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

To be fair, no we will not see any new Bewlay Brothers, that would also be totally unrealistic to expect. However, we got Sweet Head, Candidate (Demo), Who Can I Be Now, It’s Gonna Be Me and Some Are, on the RYKO reissues. Those tracks are IMO on par with what went on the respective albums. That Bowie really held those tracks in the archives for so long, could mean there are a few surprises waiting for release down the line.

3. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

I am looking forward to 2025 when we will hopefully hear I Am a Lazer and Shilling The Rubes. They have potential (maybe with a bit of a polish from TV) of being really good tracks. Also holding out for some more tracks from the Blackstar sessions..

gomen ne and MHP like this.
  4. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

you've taken me a bit too literally there, i was just going for some perspective. you can make a case for the two Young Americans outtakes, definitely, and "Velvet Goldmine" is a personal favourite, but we know why those tracks were held back, and they were issued in Bowie's lifetime (only "Velvet Goldmine" against his wishes, way back in '75). it's been almost thirty years since the Ryko bonus tracks were issued and nothing unearthed since then has really measured up. Bowie knew what was good enough and we're only hearing unheard music now because he's no longer here to say no.

5. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I just wonder will we ever get ALL the early stuff?

6. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I doubt we will ever see the Ernie Johnson tape released or the demos that were recently put up for auction as these will all be in private collections?

7. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Tony Visconti's orchestration for It's Gonna Be Me springs to mind as a good quality recent-ish discovery. Different takes of After Today and the other Young Americans outtakes as mentioned by MrBitey above sound like they're of good quality. I don't think anyone can say Ernie Johnson would not be a worthwhile release - people all have different tastes and I know I would enjoy listening to it, as I will the unheard tracks on Conversation Piece. I'll never turn my nose up at previously unreleased Bowie material - even his poor tracks are worth a listen (except maybe Tonight with Tina Turner). I even like Right On Mother.

bluenexus and Cat People like this.
  8. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I am just happy there ARE loads of unreleased tracks still out there, even though we may never get Ernie Johnson or Pu55ycat e.t.c, it's good to know there are others we may still get to here. Me personally I love 60s Bowie so this box is great.

gomen ne and Ludger like this.
  9. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I wonder if the song 'Black Hole Kids' which was a ziggy outtake was ever recorded? I know he was planning to do it for a 2cd edition of the album back in 2002.

trumpet sounds and TheLoveDrags like this.
  10. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I have really enjoyed the previously unreleased tracks featured on Clareville, Spying & Mercury Demos. By comparison, most of the Next Day Extra and No Plan tracks are redundant to me. Looking forward to hearing the upcoming demos from Conversation Piece.

11. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

To be honest I am just glad of ANYTHING NEW.

12. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

next year TMWSTW sessions...

MGW and TeddyB like this.
  13. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Or maybe a new album with pre and post blackstar demos?

MGW and croquetlawns like this.
  14. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

How come "Even a Fool Learns to Love" is not in the box set. I believe there is demo.

15. nick jones

there's at least more 20 unreleased songs from the 60's in the archives, Summer Kind of Love, Bunny Thing,***** Cat, Your Funny Smile, Ernie Johnson Opera(10 songs),Even a Fool Learns to Love, The Gravedigger,Back to Where You've Never Been, Ching a Ling with Tony Hill vocals and more...

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

To be fair, most of those songs were recorded in 1966-67 instead of the 1968-69, which seems to be the scope of Conversation Piece. But I am curious about Ernie Johnson and the Turquoise version of Ching-a-Ling.

17. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Maybe a new DEFINITIVE version of his 67 debut with at least most of the missing 60s material would be a good idea?

Electric Sydney, EdwinM, MGW and 2 others like this.
  18. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Perhaps in exactly the same annual/temporal, as opposed to album, style as Conversa Piece seems to be in.

Aaa3 and croquetlawns like this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am curious to see how they would do this one. Is there known to be enough material to make into a four or five disc set?

Even with some of the 2 disc sets that they released in the 2000's they seemed rather thin on the ground in terms of extras.

We are of course assuming that they will do a similar set to Conversation Piece for each album!

20. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

It was clear when Conversation Piece was first announced that this series of releases was to be based on years, not on albums. While at first sight this does seem to amount to the same thing, until considering Pin-ups for example, it does offer a slightly wider scope for extras

Bink likes this.
  21. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

Apparently there are loads more songs in the archives so I think maybe we'll be getting a lot more sets with extras in?

22. nick jones

yes, there's a lot of stuff to release and finally we are hearing some mithologycal tracks

23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It's just a shame that the earlier, pre Space Oddity, mythological tracks aren't being released as well.

24. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I would like more 60s Bowie. I thought mother grey e.t.c. we're great

25. nick jones

i don't see any Decca/Universal releases in the upcoming months, apart colored vinyls and unimaginative reissues

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.