David Bowie DIVINE SYMMETRY (The Journey to HUNKY DORY)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 27, 2022.

1. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Does the pre-sale discount only apply in Amazon US? I tried to pre-order on Amazon UK and the price stayed the same, £119.85.

2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't think it was a "pre-sale" discount so much as a pricing mistake at Amazon U.S. they they appear to be honoring (fingers crossed).

3. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Thanks jhm. I'll probably end up buying it, wrapping it up and pretending I'm surprised to get it on Christmas Day.

Glenn coates and jhm like this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The “Queen Bitch” demo—sounds even more like a Velvet Underground song.

5. recordromantic

recordromantic Forum Resident

I don’t think it was a mistake, because later the price went down to that amount again.

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'd imagine that Amazon prices are by-and-large automatically set by computer and fluctuate, based on a number of statistical factors - maybe with some human intervention when needed.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Amazon pricing seems curious.

When the set was announced, the Bowie store had it 1st and had it at $70. Amazon and others followed suit.

Then the Bowie store went "whoops" and changed the price to $120. Amazon and others followed suit.

But then a week or 2 later, Amazon changed it back to $70. AFAIK, others did not follow suit, and Amazon left it at $70 for a decent span of time - 2 to 3 days, maybe?

Then they put it up to the $120 price where it sits now.

So the 2nd round of $70 pricing remains weird. Hard to argue it was a mistake when they did it twice - and it remained active for a reasonable amount of time the 2nd occasion.

It's not like it was a glitch that only was out there for 20 minutes.

I'm 99% sure they'll honor the $70 price. Question becomes if they'll make the $70 copies wait to be shipped...

croquetlawns, jhm and Colinjpush like this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

A 2 - 3 week delay for almost half the price. I'll have some of that.

We've waited 50 years for a HD special edition. Another 16 days ain't gonna hurt.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Don't believe for a second there were any whoops mistakes going on here. With Par£ophon€'$ releases it's usually a case of overpricing and squeezing every project investment penny out of it.
    They probably started low deliberately to reach the breakeven point for the set (no risk) by getting enough units sold and as quickly as that was reached pushed it all up to overpriced level (maximize profits). The mistakes occur primarily in terms of lack of quality control.

10. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I've held back on pressing the button for this purely on price grounds - especially when there is the possibility of a drop during Black Friday, January sales etc. I paid £65.66 for Conversation Piece in the end.

Similarly - I've ducked out of the Depeche Mode 12" boxes at the point they are wanting £170 for the latest Playing The Angel box. If I see it nearer to £100 then I'll jump but I won't miss it if I can't - especially as Qobuz seem to carry most if not all of the tracks on these deluxe release that I love to own but rarely get round to playing.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Good for you, man. It hurts to not have it straight away, but at some point you have to make a stand. Not to mention, we all know it'll be around for a while (you can still buy Conversation Piece). I don't think we're even trying to be cheap about this, it's truly a rip-off at the current price in the UK, and I won't indulge them. A shame it's come to this..........

12. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

Can't wait to hear that version with that "cursing" ending!!

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not mine. Got a "your order was successfully cancelled" email about a week after I placed the preorder. :mad:

jhm likes this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Interesting. That's the first case of that I'm hearing (and I'm sorry about that). I got my order in on the "2nd wave" of $70 pricing and so far, it's held.

Oatsdad, sunspot42 and 93curr like this.
  15. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Well, my $70 order still stands, and Amazon says it’ll be arriving 12/9. I’m curious if others that got in under the wire received the same arrival date push.

Oatsdad and Colinjpush like this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Just checked my account and it lists the same date.

Colinjpush likes this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

As I mentioned earlier, mine still says 12/2.

18. sonichood

sonichood Well-Known Member

Question... the bonus tracks from Rykodisk HD (1990):

12 Bombers
    13 The Supermen (Alternate Version)
    14 Quicksand (Demo Version)
    15 The Bewlay Brothers (Alternate Mix)

these versions are included in the new box?

Tks.

19. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

I don’t think ‘The Supermen’ or ‘The Bewlay Brothers’ are included.

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Have you looked at What Records? They’re doing it for £99 + postage. It’s still a lot, but cheaper than most places.

Ive seen reports that Amazon France is cheaper too, even with postage included.

croquetlawns and Vaughan like this.
  21. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Good info- thanks. I have just moved to the UK from Australia: can you please tell me how VAT works if I order something from the EU? My wife had a package delivered to France from the UK last month and she had to pay the post lady the tax before she would hand the parcel over!

22. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Since Brexit you may have to pay import taxes (+VAT) on any package sent from the UK to EU and vice versa

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Thanks!

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

My Bowie.com order has shipped. Got it for the $69.99 price point. Smokin' deal!

supermd, Oatsdad, Adam Bosman and 9 others like this.
  25. Lonestar

Lonestar Well-Known Member