David Bowie: Does Anyone Know If "Is It Any Wonder" Will Ever Be Available for Purchase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moomoomoomoo, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

What a surprisingly great EP. Am I the only one that thinks Fun is a bit of a backwards nod/homage to NIN? I know the backstory on it, but it sounds like it's 'built' like something from The Downward Spiral. This came after the NIN tour, right?

2. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

FYI, The vinyl is on sale for $17.58 with free shipping at the Rhino store until the end of the day!

Cat People likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

They finally realized yesterday they needed to pull the cd off the website which sold out quite awhile back!

croquetlawns likes this.
  4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Hopefully I’m mistaken, as I’ve just ordered a copy, but I thought the vinyl had sold out a while back as well.

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

All gone :(

But if anyone is having trouble Warner Australia still has copies of the vinyl - shipping to overseas is probably diabolical though :(

Is it any wonder? (12" E.P.) - Warner Music Australia Store

Did a test - its $US35 incl shipping

6. moomoomoomoo

With the talk of Rhino, I thought some might find this email conversation sadly amusing,

Me: "It would be helpful if one could sort by media type. I have no interest in vinyl. I am interested in CD, DVD-A, SACD & Lossless Downloads."

Rhino: "We do not have current plans for this release, but thank you............................"

7. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

It is a real pleasure in terms of the song collection, the interest factor and the cover art. 6 songs fairly priced upon release too, which is a nice change. If you missed the Cd then just watch them on discogs but also it may get a further rerelease. I believe others have said the vinyl can still be found here and there at reasonable prices. M

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I missed it - but then, I'd had enough and actually boycotted it. This release was needlessly sold exclusively from a web site charging far too much for shipping. It was then stupidly in very limited supply - as they desperately people top rush into buying in fear of missing out. It was a disgrace, and it remains a disgrace.

Which is a shame, because we ought to be talking only about the music. Sadly, this was tarnished by this pathetic money grab. I love Bowie - but I've drawen the line on these things. if I misds out on 6 tracks, so be it. The way they're handling his catalog right now is anti-consumer, and very poor, imo.

parkgrover and moomoomoomoo like this.
  9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think there maybe more CD's printed. Warner Australia are still promising mine (maybe later this month but no date) when they have clearly sold out so to fulfil my pre order they must have to print more.

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. moomoomoomoo

Hopefully both releases will show up at retailers in Europe as has happened in the past.

11. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I got the vinyl in the mail AOK - took 5 days. Perfect condition

12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I also received the record and t-shirt from Warner Australia but still waiting for the CD.

Seems like the CD is, at this stage, far more difficult to get hold of then the record. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come now that CD's are becoming irrelevant (in the same way that records were in the 90s/00)? Next they will be telling us they sound better than records, have perfect sound for ever and charging more for the CD than the record. :D

Easy-E, croquetlawns and moomoomoomoo like this.
  13. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

Well, my MusicGlue order finally turned up today...4 months after I placed the order. Had pretty much given up on it so a nice surprise when this dropped through the letterbox.

14. alek2702

alek2702 Forum Resident

The 12" looks available at Rhino US. Bought it last week and got a message today saying it's placed on backorder..
    Not sure if they'll still come through or if I should cancel and order from Warner Australia instead.

15. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I would before you have to pay flipper prices on ebay or discogs :shake:

Its still available while the other places seem to have sold out - I opened and played mine on the weekend - flat heavy perfect - sleeve is that velvety type of cardboard

Sounded great :)

16. alek2702

alek2702 Forum Resident

Did just that, hoping they won't come back with a backorder too.
    Now let's try my luck with the Rhino customer service and get the previous order cancelled. Going by their responses so far, it might take a while:laugh:

17. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Its looks like it's the only Warners that isn't sold out

The CD's are all gone everywhere

18. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Any advice of the best (somewhat available in Ex/Ex at least condition) pressings of Space Oddity?

19. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I wish they could get past all of this limited edition crap and release the music properly at a reasonable price. Surely with an artist of Bowie’s enduring popularity this isn’t too much to ask. Otherwise the bootleggers will get the business instead

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

raye_penber likes this.
  21. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I don’t know if it’s a repress or just a COVID 19 delay but I got a, surprise, shipping notice on this CD overnight! Is anyone else still waiting?

croquetlawns and moomoomoomoo like this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Waiting so long, ahhhh
    Good news after all, hope it arrives soon.

scobb likes this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Having spent some time with this CD it is no little wonder the five new tracks did not make the album. They would have been OK b-sides and better than the endless mixes that appeared on the CD singles.

Baby Universal is particularly disappointing as it had been talked about at the time and I expected better..... If the much hyped about "Loving the Alien" demo is of this standard I can see why it never saw the light of day and probably best to keep it that way!

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

I Can't Read - Wikipedia

"Bowie recorded two new versions of the song in 1997, one for the film The Ice Storm[2] and a different version for inclusion on his album Earthling (1997), although this latter version was not released until its inclusion on Is It Any Wonder? (2020)"

looks like there are four versions: Tin Machine, the long and short versions released in 1997 on the single and then "I Can't Read '97" on this Is It Any Wonder release. is wiki wrong? the Long Version on the 1997 single appears to be the same as "I Can't Read '97" on the new EP. can anyone confirm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.