David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Could the Live in Perth track be an indicator for maybe another '78 show? Either Standalone or in the next box?

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

How many different releases have been done to coincide with the exhibit at this point?

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The picture discs are 40th anniversary ones, the exhibition releases are one or more per Exhibition location and can be found on Discogs

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm personally not all that bothered with picture discs (although I did wind up buying last year's RSD release of The Man Who Sold the World), but the exhibition releases seem interesting. Pricey, but interesting.

(And there's nothing tagged to the individual exhibition releases on Discogs that identifies them, so unless you know what you're looking for, it's difficult to find them, which is why I asked.)

5. NightGoatToCairo

How many of the anniversary and exhibition vinyl have exclusive content like the upcoming Art Decade Live track?

6. footprintsinthesand

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

TonyCzar and e.s. like this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, wound up just checking the DB site. Looks like there are fewer interesting exclusives than I'd originally thought. The singles are cool, and I wouldn't mind having iSelect or Man of the Words / Man of Music, but I'm not sure color versions of Heathen or The Next Day are at all necessary.

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yikes, no kidding. Looking all of these up, I was surprised to find that the exhibition exclusives of Heathen and The Next Day go for the most money out of everything that's been released to date.

10. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I was going to get that Man Of Words/Man Of Music blue vinyl, but it has Don't Sit Down which the US version shouldn't have, and I suspect it's a direct clone of the Five Years remaster which has all the edits and digital bleeping.
    Nice sleeve though.

11. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The Perth shows are among the harder shows to get on bootlegs from that tour iirc/ So if they have complete shows of them it is quite possible they could be released at some point.

12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, that's probably the case. I think I'd probably get it for the sleeve, as I doubt I'll ever come across an original at a reasonable price, but I've got a nice early UK pressing of Space Oddity and the 40th Anniversary version of David Bowie, so I'm probably set...

13. footprintsinthesand

I got one at the museum, you could get that one plus the 7" orange vinyl Amsterdam/My Death live (yes they knew) as a set for € 50. eBay prices got to 500 in the first week, then quickly dropped. Discogs has the album from 70 euro now, but I've seen some round 50 on the leading dutch auction website Marktplaats recently.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I saw that. It's been a while since I'd looked at either Man of the Words / Man of Music or the "Amsterdam" single on Discogs, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much they'd dropped in price. I'd be more inclined to get the album at 50 euro over 70, so we'll see if it comes down a bit more...

15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it would be for the sleeve only. as speculated on above, it is indeed the dreaded Five Years master with glitches intact and with Don't Sit Down so it's not even an accurate reissue.
    the Amsterdam single is nice but contains nothing new. there are a handful of otherwise unavailable tracks on the exhibition records, but mostly live things. the Lady Stardust demo on the Japanese 7" is a 2016 mix but the picture disc (made in the EU for Japan) sounds predictably lousy. perhaps more importantly considering the asking prices for some, it'll all show up down the line on some reissue or another.

16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

those are not exclusives, they were merely issued at the same time to coincide with the exhibition. on top of that they are NOT japanese pressings, merely US (Friday Music editions) of Heathen and Reality, and EU (Sony) editions of The Next Day and A Reality Tour with obis and inserts added. they are still available at cost via amazon.co.jp and in stores here. early online prices went crazy due to panic buying and shameless eBay sellers claiming limited quantities and restricted availability. of the four only The Next Day holds any value to collectors as the colour is unique to the Japan release.

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Right, the only reason to have it is a collector's piece, same as the picture disc of The Man Who Sold the World, which I initially resisted but finally bought when it came back down to list price after all the RSD hype died down. Ideally, I'd prefer to have an original Man of the Words / Man of Music, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think you may have posted about the Japanese releases before, either here or in another thread, and yeah, those hold little appeal. The version of Heathen I was talking about was this one, though: David Bowie - Heathen

19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Anniversary picture discs "exclusives" - Starman (live on TOTP, presumably lifted from the Best of Bowie DVD); The Jean Genie (live on TOTP); Drive-In Saturday (live on Russell Harty Plus Pop, again available on the Best of Bowie DVD); Sorrow (live in Vancouver, 1983, same concert as issued on the Serious Moonlight DVD); 1984 (live on the Dick Cavett Show, available on the Young Americans 2007 bonus DVD); Right (alternate mix, a speed corrected version of the Ryko mix on the b-side of Fame); Wild Is The Wind (2010 Harry Maslin mix single edit, b-side of TVC15); Sound and Vision (Sony Experia mix, first official physical release, available as download and promo CD-R); Art Decade (live in Perth, 1978, b-side of Be My Wife).

David Bowie Is exhibition "exclusives" - "Heroes" (live in Vancouver, 1983, same concert as issued on the Serious Moonlight DVD, b-side of "Héros", France); Let's Dance (live in Vancouver, 1983, same concert as issued on the Serious Moonlight DVD, Australia); Lady Stardust (demo version, 2016 mix, Japan)

in short, nothing to get excited about. the live '83 tracks sound better than on the DVD, they appear to be new masters. the speed corrected Right is welcomed but not on a noisy picture disc, ditto the Sound and Vision remix which sounds dire, as unfortunately does the Lady Stardust demo. some of the tracks were exclusive for a while before appearing on Nothing Has Changed/Legacy (e.g. Ken Scott's 2003 Life On Mars? remix).

Edit: the 1983 Vancouver concert would appear to be a certain addition to the '80s box set based on these releases.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  20. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

ah yes, of course. there was also an equally limited (500 each) 1.Outside on green vinyl also for the original UK leg. i'm lucky enough (i.e. mad enough) to own both and every other exclusive exhibition release, and lucky enough to have paid shop prices for all.

e.s. likes this.
  21. footprintsinthesand

That and the way you cough up those specifics ... your avatar track should have been called That's Dedication

oldturkey likes this.
  22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

dedication/obsession, it's a fine line.

e.s. and richard a like this.
  23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Here's a question for you: Did they not do anything for Chicago? I've been looking, and it seems like that's the only city that hasn't had an exclusive exhibition release.

24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

nothing in Chicago, Sao Paolo, Berlin or Toronto. the London exclusives were coloured editions of previously released albums. Paris was the first to get exclusive releases, the "Héros"/"Heroes" (live) blue vinyl single* and iSelect red vinyl LP (first time on vinyl). Melbourne was next and also had iSelect (same pressing) plus the very limited (500 copies) Let's Dance (single edit/live) yellow vinyl single. Groningen had the Man Of Words, Man of Music blue vinyl LP and Amsterdam/My Death orange vinyl single. Bologna had the Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola/London Bye Ta Ta blue vinyl single and iSelect (same pressing). Tokyo had the EU pressed Lady Stardust (demo)/Crystal Japan picture disc plus a Japan made Blackstar/Lazarus (radio edit)/I Can't Give Everything Away (radio edit) red vinyl 12" single. as well as I'm Afraid Of Americans red vinyl single i wouldn't be surprised to see iSelect at the Barcelona exhibit too. final stop is expected to be New York so i'm sure there's more to come.

* this has been reissued and is available via amazon

oldturkey and e.s. like this.
  25. NightGoatToCairo

Excellent, thank you.
    Assuming the items in bold have not been available before?