David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Thanks mate but my USA original RCA's are prefect. orange, tan, black labels. :pineapple:

2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

very interested in this set, but thought this bit of text was odd: "the nascent stage of his career from 1969 to 1973"
    isn't the "nascent" stage more properly 1964 to 1969? This period is more like his salad days, in terms of popularity (in the UK, anyway). They want to play it a bit cute with DB's several false starts... yet they underplay the apotheosis that is Ziggy and Aladdin Sane.

tremspeed and Classicolin like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Is Ziggy Motion Picture the original mix or the Visconti revamp?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  4. Will they call it 4 years ?

Tim Bucknall and JoeF. like this.
  5. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

Will we finally have a good sounding and readily available copy of Hunky Dory?

Edit:
    Looks like we will assuming these were remastered by the same team that did Ziggy.

Speaking of Ziggy, I wonder if the new vinyl release is going to be the same as the 2012 OOP one?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The stuff on the bonus collection is from singles only. Maybe something else is in the pipeline for the material contributed to elsewhere?

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Fingers crossed for a Hi Res release

sound chaser and TokenGesture like this.
  8. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Would like to see Steve Hoffman name on the remastering!!
    Stump

9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am happy to see this campaign start finally, but why do they start with a period that has been covered recently with a deluxe Space Oddity, a deluxe+5.1 Ziggy, a remastered Aladdin Sane and a Santa Monica stand-alone release when they have the Berlin period where even the B-sides are now difficult to find?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  10. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

I guest they start at the beginning and go through his whole catalog. Better not miss The Buddha of Siberia

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What are the Berlin period b-sides that are hard to find?

I just wonder if I have them already or not.

12. Music Geek

All the bonus tracks that were included in the Rykodisc CDs.

Some Are, All Saints, Abdulmajid, I Pray Olé, Crystal Japan and some others....

13. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Sigh.

If you're lucky enough to track down mint examples that don't cost the earth. I have an original orange RCA Ziggy and it sounds terrible.

athensdrums, Plan9 and bleachershane like this.
  14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Or even "The Buddha of Suburbia".

15. sectofone

sectofone Forum Resident

Funny: the news post on http://www.davidbowie.com/news/five-years-1969-1973-box-set-due-september-54571 mentions: "On this day in 1971, David Bowie performed for the first time at what was then known as the ‘Glastonbury Fair’; and that the set includes "all of the material officially released by Bowie during the nascent stage of his career from 1969 to 1973;" yet the re-recorded version of "The Supermen" from the album Glastonbury Fayre (released in April 1972) is not included on the tracklist for Re:Call 1. Go figure ... :confused:

MadamAdam and Lost In The Flood like this.
  16. MHP

I think you will be dissapointed then. It's obvious they will only be focusing on the singles stuff released during the time it was created. Outtakes are not included. I think they will be released seperately later.

17. MHP

I figure. Re:Call 1 is focusing on singles material only, which is why The Supermen is not included. I'll bet it will be featured on something else another time. I agree then, that it is not ALL.

18. Music Geek

OK but still I think it would make more sense to start with a box that doesn't contain several albums that have been re-issued/remastered recently.

19. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Lots of mono single mixes there. I wasn't aware there were many Bowie mono oddities. Can anyone here confirm whether these mono single mixes are unique or fold-downs?

20. MHP

In some ways, I agree with you. Though, it would be strange to start during the middle of the seventies with the reissued albums. I hope they will get it right this time. They have started over and over for years now.
    Bowie's catalog deserves to be put in order.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You have both right? So what difference does it make. Both mixes are equally hated in this forum. I'm the only one who thinks it's Bowie's best live album ever.

It's likely the later mix mastering

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I´d buy these if the sound is good.

23. Music Geek

Suggested title for box 3: from the peak to the abyss.

Solace, MadamAdam and Robert C like this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:laugh: I'd be happy to buy Lodger, Scary Monsters and even Let's Dance if they are released individually; but if they aren't, the rest would prevent me from getting this 3rd boxset, ugh.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I would have preferred just one big box set with the studio albums from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters. If we have to buy 3 or 4 box sets to get these then there is no way of avoiding having to buy crap live albums, Tin Machine, Never Let Me Down etc etc.

Tombby and audiotom like this.