David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

None of my business.. but if I were you I'd hold onto them for now :)

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Those are scheduled for the 2022 Fiftieth Anniversary releases of Ziggy Stardust.
    And subsequently, other catalog releases. Remember the gameplan:
    1. Milk the catalog - s t r e t c h it out.
    2. Keep Them Wanting for More
    3. Wait until the core-hardcore fans start dying off, then, umm, oops, ....demand decreases?!?! And sales will decrease exponentially...Huh?!?! HEY Marketing!!! Just what was Gameplan #3 again?!?!???

Tim Bucknall and fredblue like this.
  3. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I hope the vinyl is done 100% analog, just like the Ziggy reissue. But the recent Lennon box is digital, so I'm not very optimistic.
    Then I'd rather buy the cds or a download.

Wade Burrow, Pushpaw, Paully and 3 others like this.
  4. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

:righton: You've hit the nail square on the head I reckon! This box doesn't feel like it's gonna be the "be all and the end all" somehow for these particular albums.. to me they deserve better treatment, they're seminal records.. Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Ziggy Stardust I mean these are stone cold Classics just lumped in a box with a few things everyone's got already on another disc.. doesn't feel that special to me.

Tim Bucknall, mooseman and lightbulb like this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The thing with reissue box sets, it can only be Special to the people that don't have these already.

Tim Bucknall and mooseman like this.
  6. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Such as myself. Big Bowie fan, I've picked up a few of the cd re masters over the last few years. I'l be picking up a decent turntable to celebrate my graduation from uni next month, and budget-provided this set also. A great start to a Bowie collection.

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Is the 2003 Visconti Ziggy remix the same mix as the 40th anniversary, that was released as a stand alone disc?

Again, who is doing the remastering? Will it be Ray Staff?

Why is Space Oddity being remastered again? Wasn't the 40th anniversary regarded as great?

Will this be from the original analogue tapes?

We already have Ziggy and Aladdin from this box.

Tombby, Tim Bucknall and fredblue like this.
  8. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

well im priced out. Hopefully there will be individual releases

Tombby and Tim Bucknall like this.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'll be happy if the cd release sounds as good as the Dylan Mono and Roxy Music sets. Griping seems pointless 3 months ahead of release.

10. jacden

jacden Senior Member

No, the standalone CD had the original mix. The remix was only available on the DVD that came with the vinyl package.

11. Because ..... It's first?

12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Well, since this is the same Aladdin remaster as the 40th, it is safe to assume the other discs will sound the same way,

So the only duplicate is Aladdin. But still the question remains: why offer Aladdin as part of this box set if Bowie fans have already purchased it?

lightbulb likes this.
  13. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

If they're going to all this trouble, I have to assume they are going to also do the whole catalog individually on vinyl at some point, so when that happens I will pick up the individual ones to fill in the gaps or weak spots in my RCA's. The Rykos I have on CD are okay, fine for everyday listening. I could use a few upgrades to round out my vinyl, and I'm missing one or two I never picked up for whatever reason, over the years.

14. And the Lennon box LPs sound great as do the Springsteen which are from digital too

15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I think this looks very nice, and I'll pick up the vinyl box when it's released. I know lots of people feel short-changed that there are no unreleased tracks, but I would rarely listen to them, so I'm happy to have the original albums with the "rarities" album included.

MHP, ralphb and BeardedSteven like this.
  16. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I just bought Ziggy 40th and first pressing Hunky Dory so I'm a bit on the fence here.

Although $300+ for the set is making my decision not to buy much easier.

Blender and JL6161 like this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Because not everybody in the world bought it?
    Because it's called "5 years" not "5 years except for the album you already have"?
    Because this will be a career spanning series of boxes?

crispi, giantleech, Wilco and 16 others like this.
  18. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Both mixes of Ziggy are included in the new box, so there's duplication there as well. I don't mind it really. It would be pretty pointless to remaster them yet again. The 40th editions sound just fine IMO.

19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I would be surprised if the Space Oddity disc isn't the same as the one from 2009.
    This isn't how I would like these albums to be released. Sick that the first time Holy Holy is rereleased is in a humungous box of stuff I already have.

Tim Bucknall and lightbulb like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I got rid of my Ryko Golden Years Au20 a few years back because I needed the cash, and even though I wasn't that enamored with the sound--especially when played loud-I've kinda regretted it because it was a cool item to have. But if the sound on this set is anything like the sound on Nothing Has Changed, I'll regret unloading that box a little less.

21. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I'm glad to get another remaster of Space Oddity. I don't like the 2009 remaster. Here's hoping it, and the remasters of Hunky Dory and Man Who Sold the World are as good as the one for Ziggy.

supermd likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

...and perhaps this box isn't for those long-time fans of Bowie who have already bought his catalogue in various other configurations over the years... It could be for new fans or casual fans (like me) who want to have his music in one nice consolidated package (or a series of nice consolidated packages, if the press release is true).

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I guess Five Years will be the only box in the series that is thematically cohesive, as the future boxes are all over the map.

MadamAdam likes this.
  24. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have the Nothing Has Changed 3cd boxset. It's a nice compilation, i really like it for the music from the last 15 years but the sound is loud, very compressed.
    These new box sets are becoming to expensive for me, i have all the original vinyl and the ryko cds with bonus tracks. Not sure I'm going to need this.

Tim Bucknall likes this.