David Bowie - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Feb 1, 2022.

1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Which may just refer to new mastering, not new mixing. If there's a new mix, as footprints said they should announce that.

jhm likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The anthemic 1972 hit... that came out in 1973? :wtf:

3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

November 1972.

aphexj, Azorbz, Oatsdad and 1 other person like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well crap - I was wrong!

I thought the single came out in 1973!

That's what I get for playing "actually..." and not actually researching my comments.

Is the "delete" function still active for my post? ;)

Azorbz and Colocally like this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Amazon.co.uk

Say 18.99 pounds when I checked just now. The price will have to come way down in the U.S. before I buy AND I really want to see the DR numbers on Visconti's new mastering since, IMO, his track record on mastering (not mixing) as far as overuse of digital limiting has not been spectacular as of late. Again, all just my opinion. The 5.1 mix on the last DVD was good IMO and made for a decent fold down to stereo (as opposed to the CDs).

sortvinyl and prymel like this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

A multi layer Blu-Ray would provide plenty of room for a high resolution stereo mix as well as a lossless 5.1 mix. Whether the do that or not, of course, remains to be seen.

bluedemon25 and Fabrice Outside like this.
  7. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Yes, the link looks right now, in pre-order status. Yesterday, it was showing as item not available and the price rose to £33 at one point. I went to order, and the actual pre-order price is down to £16.81. Thanks for the reply!

jhm likes this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I provide this only as an example. The "packshot" they've given us for the ZSMP 50th looks similar in design to the Bob Marley & The Wailers Legend 30th anniversary. There are multiple images here: Bob Marley And The Wailers - Legend (The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers)

The Bob Marley - Exodus 40th is also similar. It's a "Blu Ray" sized "digipack" with slots in the middle of the cover to hold the discs (like a gatefold LP cover). The booklet is removable on Exodus (where it's not on Legend). The upcoming Ziggy Motion Picture 50th looks like it may also have a removable booklet from what I can tell.

Azorbz, Innocent Smith and prymel like this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually Frankie Collector already provided the information earlier, I just missed it. "Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 – 48kHz/24bit, PCM Stereo – 48kHz/24bit". So, the labels/folks who sell downloads feel this is "high resolution". YMMV.

10. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

From Rhino: (I hope they finally get the mix right!):

JUST ANNOUNCED: DAVID BOWIE
    ZIGGY STARDUST AND
    THE SPIDERS FROM MARS
    THE MOTION PICTURE
    (50th ANNIVERSARY)
    [​IMG]
    “Of all the shows on this tour, this particular show will remain with us the longest, because not only is it the last show of the tour, but it's the last show that we'll ever do.” - David Bowie, 1973
    On July 3rd, 1973, David Bowie retired Ziggy Stardust, his most famous alter-ego, in front of 5,000 stunned fans at London’s Hammersmith Odeon. Now, the fully restored film and soundtrack will be released for the first time for the 50th anniversary of the show. Renowned filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker (Monterey Pop, Bob Dylan - Don’t Look Back, Depeche Mode - 101) captured the momentous event by filming Bowie and The Spiders From Mars backstage and onstage. The digital restoration of the new version of the film has been overseen by D.A.’s son, Frazer Pennebaker, with remastered audio.
    Although filmed 50 years ago, the film was not widely seen for over a decade. However, the film and its soundtrack have been newly remastered with the medley of "The Jean Genie/Love Me Do" medley and "Round And Round" featuring the late legendary Jeff Beck reinstated - the latter track making its very first appearance anywhere. Both performances were newly mixed by long-time Bowie collaborator Tony Visconti.

MrJerry1876 and bluedemon25 like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The audio isn’t being remixed, it’s being remastered.
    Only the two newly added songs are new mixes.

Azorbz likes this.
  12. Colocally

And one of them is probably the same mix as MD movie last year.

Curveboy and Azorbz like this.
  13. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Mike Garson will be performing the medley he performed before the Hammersmith Show during the live event.

I don't think that the medley recording from the original show will be in the film / on the album though.

aphexj likes this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

You said the same for Serious Moonlight audio that came in 2018. It still sounded like it was recorded in a biscuit tin.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There has already been a Visconti remix - so this will be yet another?

16. moomoomoomoo

I hope so, the remix was much better than the original RCA mix; but it's still lacking in Guitar & "power". + I always thought that Garson's Organ funk riff at the beginning of Moonage Daydream was very cool. The RCA (Bowie?) mix removed it, & the Visconti mix buried it. I really prefer the Pennabaker mix even though he's not an audiophile engineer/producer.

Glenn coates and Purple Jim like this.
  17. Colocally

It’s already been said that this isn’t remixed apart from the new additions.

18. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

The Amazon UK listing for TMP LP set has gone up to £59.99, which is an increase of about £25. The Amazon US listing for the Blu-Ray has gone up to $60.

19. moomoomoomoo

Ouch.

Azorbz likes this.
  20. moomoomoomoo

Esoteric Disc's listing for the cd/blu has also gone up to $60. It may have been a wholesale increase. Which really sucks. I'd only be buying it for Round & Round & possibly upgraded blu-ray video. $60 is a lot for just that. I'm sure it will never change, but as I mentioned earlier, I've purchased this twice on vinyl (Original RCA & Japan RCA), twice on cd (both mixes), once on VHS & once on DVD.

A "repeat purchaser" discount would sure be appreciated.

MrJerry1876, Azorbz and bluedemon25 like this.
  21. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

New Avatar. Also very nice. Same cat?

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

Thank you, yes! That yawn was so hilarious, I switched.

MrJerry1876, bluedemon25 and prymel like this.
  23. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

It's a good photo.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

Thanks! It's really cropped for avatar size. When I first starting using the whole photo which is quite a bit more amusing, you couldn't see his face!

bluedemon25 likes this.
  25. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Any opinions on how much better the video looks compared to the last dvd release? I’ve really only seen the 30 second clips posted on youtube promoting it. It would have to be a huge upgrade for me to buy again at that price, Jeff Beck or not.