David Bowie: Hunky Dory - Anniversary..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Here's hoping it's more of a Conversation Piece release than a Width of a Circle.

Markyp, Colinjpush, RAZORMADE and 5 others like this.
  2. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

They were recorded in the same session in 1974 if memory serves. Springsteen was not "Springsteen" yet and took the bus from Jersey into Philadelphia for the sessions (I think it was at Sigma Sound). My thought was you could collect everything Bowie covered over the years and include it with Pin Ups for a deluxe edition of some kind.

Bink likes this.
  3. Lot49

Lot49 Forum Resident

Here is the official site link. Exciting: KOOKS single available 28th September — David Bowie

4. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Regarding Rupert The Riley, I know Mickey King sings the lead vocals, however, the PPl listing shows (demo). Is it possible that it is Bowie singing the demo?

Edit: Having done some research, apparently two versions exist, with one being Bowie on lead vocals. Whilst I love the one that is bootlegged with King's vocals, I hope that we get the one with Bowie's lead vocals (both if we're lucky).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  5. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

From Bowie official:

"As for the song Rupert The Riley, David recorded his own version of the track along with the aforementioned Sparky King rendition. Both versions have been available unofficially, but a solo demo and an instrumental have not escaped the vault thus far. It’s not likely they ever will, either, as the song wasn’t one the writer particularly liked. Whether this was because of the bad association or down to the quality of the song itself, we’ll never know."

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

The reason I asked is because it is listed on PPL with a set of other tracks from the same period that we expect to be in the set, so I don't find the statement that it isn't likely to be released very convincing.

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

8. Frankie_Collector

I nderstand we're getting the version that already circulates on bootlegs, not either of the demos mentioned in the statement.

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Where has this piece of information suddenly appeared from? Any link to confirm this please?

10. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Check @Lot49's post above.

mr.datsun likes this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's on Twitter from Bowie's Estate. It's subtitle is "The Road to Hunky Dory".

Jack Lord, mr.datsun and Azorbz like this.
  12. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

Alright, now that we have actual info about an actual box set that will actually be announced really soon, I want to bring out my content predictions from months ago, adjusted to remove Round and Round since the subtitle "Road to Hunky Dory" makes it pretty clear Divine Symmetry is NOT a HD/Ziggy combo set.

Disc 1-2 - 1970-71 Demos (including the 74108 Demos; hoping for 2 discs but it might only be 1)
    Disc 3 - June 3, 1971 BBC Session / June 23, 1971 Glastonbury Performance
    Disc 4 - Bowpromo / Alternate mixes
    Disc 5 - Hunky Dory
    Disc 6 - Hunky Dory - 2021 Ken Scott Mix
    Disc 7 - September 21, 1971 BBC Session (plus something else? this is too short)
    Disc 8 - September 25, 1971 Aylsebury Friars Club show (can't remember where but I swear I read that a high quality version of this show was found)

This would make me extremely happy.

13. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I'd be happy with this set, with the highlights being the demos, Glastonbury, and Aylesbury.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  14. Frankie_Collector

Again, the official Bowie page mentioned that Glastonbury 71 is also highly unlikely to be released. Adjust your expectations.

paulybauls and gamuzajoe like this.
  15. Innocent Smith

Definitely. But with songs showing up in videos like this, I do have a little bit of hope.

Colinjpush likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

That was licensed from the original sound engineer by the film-maker specifically for use in the film. The actual tape as far as I know (as of late 2021) is still in the hands of the sound engineer. As Bowie Inc. had been in contact with the owner to hear samples, and yet did not enquire about purchasing the tape before the copyright ran out, it looks like they were just not interested in it.

17. Innocent Smith

Good to know. I hadn't heard all that.

mr.datsun and bluedemon25 like this.
  18. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

This the official cover?

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would be happy with that as the cover as opposed to the plain cover for Conversation Piece.

CBackley and Colinjpush like this.
  20. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

What would make it better is if it was a canvas type finish, which it probably will be given both Conversation Piece and The Width Of A Circle kinda/sorta had one. But yeah on iTunes for CP I just used this:
    [​IMG]

Bink likes this.
  21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well we know the Pin Ups band recorded White Light/White Heat as Bowie let Ronson have the track for one of his solo LPs. No idea if Bowie ever completed a vocal track or not.

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.