David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Cool. I like that I can just buy it on cd and not have to feel tempted to get the vinyl so I can hear it sooner.

The MEZ and scobb like this.
  3. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

They sorta have...his videos often are featured on DB's official FB page....a major endorsement!

4. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

This is actually in my bootleg cut of Cracked Actor ( it closes it), and is not slowed down. Cracked Actor and The Stones ********er Blues are both documentaries that reflect their director and both are similar in that they take a more cynical and downbeat mood towards the rock style life .

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  5. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Sigma Sessions will be released

Glenn coates likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wasn't there also crude BW video of an early 1974 show in one of the 5 years docs? Genie with ropes/dancers clip ?

Bowie used video references when started tours and likely kept it. I think DB mentioned in a 2000's he basically still had soundboards of every 74/76/78 show. I've also heard he taped lots of late Ziggy shows as well, which might also exist.

One of my unusual DB live wants is a full 1983 show video from the few shows with big screens. USFEST was likely multi tracked and Wozniak apparently kept all b-roll video including some nice crane shots.

7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

As Another Gouster ? :laugh:

CBackley and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  8. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

No.2025 official release

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I'm really looking forward to this. Obviously I want the best possible quality, but I'm happy to take whatever they have. Yes we already have two live shows from the period, but the setlist is different. And besides - I *love* this period, so the more the merrier.

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am wondering how the follow up boxsets to Conversation Piece will cover the next few albums, particularly if they are formatted in terms of years.

For example will 1974's set start with Diamond Dogs and end with the Sigma Sessions? And will the recordings with John Lennon be included as they are from 1975?

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I doubt they'll ever get that far with Conversation Piece style box sets. A record company like Par£ophon€ may just call it a day after they cashed in on Aladdin Sane. A lot of the special edition albums have concentrated on the Ziggy - Dogs years.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Maybe, but unlike the previous Special Editions, I think the 50 year copyright extension rule might spur them onto being a little more generous than previously.

Those special editions did get as far as Young Americans and then we got the Station to Station set.

But equally there's no point doing a big boxset unless there is something worthwhile in the vaults to add to it. When I think of what could be included in the Low boxset for example, I could think of things like the unreleased Man Who Fell to Earth recordings and maybe a few instrumentals but is there really enough to fill a 5 disc boxset?

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

With Low, there's material to be released - the later live performance for instance. I did want to say though, Conversation Piece isn't only about the music, the presentation is what it's about, imo. I mean the thing is a gorgeous coffee-table book that just reeks of quality. The pictures and so on, it's just a fantastic package. So 2 CD's, 3CD's, that would be fine if they keep the format.

Still, I can't help thinking that - given the track record of Bowie through the years - they'll find a way to ruin what they've started.

Electric Sydney and Bink like this.
  14. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Bowie was so generous for his employees/friends. And Hunt + Erdal blakmale Bowie estate

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Huh?

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

I wanted to shorten the writing. bowie has always been friends with his employees. gave them artistic freedom. and some have tried to use it Like Hunt and erdal

17. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

I am wondering where is our Young Americans 45th anniversary coloured vinyl expected for March 7, 2020??

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Alternative Gouster.

19. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Bit confused here (not too difficult for me) but not being a vinyl person I haven’t followed the Record Store Day thing.

So is the CD version a general release or restricted to RSD shops - I think most shops around me that advertise RSD are pretty much vinyl only.

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The "Soul Tour" release has not been touted as an RSD exclusive.

My personal expectation is for the typical RSD-->all comers sales window that we've seen on the other DB live albums to apply here. And I expect that window to apply to both vinyl and CD, for stores that bother with silver and shiny.

And others have posted that there actually have been a few RSD CD titles here and there over the years. But I don't think an RSD fail will be fatal for us non-vinyl people.

AndyP19 likes this.
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Problem seems to be that every time they relicense the catalogue they start from scratch.

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

As they are indicating with this release that they are willing to release concerts that are not necessarily from multi track recordings, it is interesting to consider what else they may release.

I wonder if they have any soundboard recordings from the early Ziggy tour. Maybe they could add some audio to the concerts that Mick Rock filmed.

Additionally I understand RCA recorded the 1973 Radio City Hall shows. It would be great to see one of these released, particularly as he performed all but one of the tracks from Aladdin Sane.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I do need a third. Love this era of Bowie’s career.

24. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

I'll take any live Bowie I can get these days.... this is a fascinating portrait of an artist in transition.

enro99, TheLoveDrags, Vaughan and 2 others like this.
  25. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

This is how a RSD CD release usually works for me:

I never stand in line, usually wake up late, get out late, go to a few stores, find out they only got a couple of CDs and are out of stock, call a few stores that are further away - same - no CDs, go home, spend 2 days trying to find online record stores or artist websites that will release extra stock the day after, (sometimes get lucky), eventually find one on eBay or Discogs and pay an extra $3-$10 over list, and then... they start popping up everywhere at a realistic, list price - like last year’s Grateful Dead Warfield 1980 CD.