David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'm very happy for you but slightly annoyed for myself, I was in town on Monday, looked in Fopp, gave up & ended up paying £23 for it on Discogs.

Noted for future reference though so thanks for that. Hope you enjoy the CD as much as I have been.

TonyCzar and fishyboots like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Fopp don't take part in RSD as being owned by HMV they don't qualify as an independent retailer
    Participating Stores
    You can always check participating stores on the RSD website

LivingForever, Mook and croquetlawns like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm with you - I've yet to spin it too. No desire. Loved the three singles, but the album would be a huge hill to climb.....

Oatsdad and Glenn coates like this.
  4. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Good shout, it was a Monday morning & I was in a mad rush in my defence. I'll need to keep an eye on the dance/techno place in future.

5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Any sign of your order from Banquet yet? I am pretty sure the postman has been and gone today so still waiting!

Even with everything going on in the world I am surprised it takes 6 days or more between dispatch and delivery address (roughly 100 miles away).

sonnyrock likes this.
  6. zither

zither Forum Resident

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I ordered some records from London, and the shop confirmed despatch last Thursday. They usually arrive the following day, but I'm still waiting for them to show.

Bink likes this.
  7. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Nope, alas. Just went through my emails, and one CD was dispatched by Banquet Records on the 1st, the other on the 4th. My Bowie LP is still marked as picked & allocated but hasn’t been dispatched yet. Conversely, my order from Vinyl Guru got to me Tuesday after RSD.

Bink likes this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Well it's reassuring at least that we are all experiencing issues with Banquet - that gives me hope that it hasn't just got lost!

9. THE801

THE801 Forum Resident

If it's any help I ordered CNB from Banquet separately on RSD it was marked as dispatched within half an hour and arrived two days ago on Monday 7th.
    My IOD was marked dispatched on the 4th and hasn't arrived yet so I assume 'dispatched' means packed and ready to go rather than actually in the post.
    Hold tight It'll be worth the wait!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    LivingForever and Bink like this.
  10. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I am still waiting for my CNB to arrive from Banquet - I guess they had a lot of orders to process last week

LivingForever and Bink like this.
  11. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Being a local to Banquet records, I have to say that they are 100% trustworthy and a fantastic local business - BUT when they have huge online order numbers like this, they can struggle a bit.

Back at the start of lockdown when they went "online-only" I was having items marked as "dispatched" and not arriving for 2 weeks. I think that was partially to do with Royal Mail issues, but I also think they were being marked as dispatched when someone put it in a mailer and printed off my labels, but sometimes took a few days to make it into the mailbag and into the postie's van.

You'll definitely get them though, don't panic :)

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Although bizarrely Sunrise Records in Canada, who owns HMV, ARE allowed to participate in Record Store Day, despite having around 80 branches in the True North!!!

13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thank you.

14. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

A big shout out to you Brother, thank you so much for this post that I jumped on as soon as I saw it, held my breath and today both album and CD have arrived.......Thanks again for sharing this.

CBackley, jhm and challenge like this.
  15. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

You got yours before mine I got it from Plaid and it has shipped but still waiting. Excited to listen to it

Juggsnelson and Glenn coates like this.
  16. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Yeah the tracking said for this Saturday but it showed up today and I’m very excited to play it. I saw this tour back in 1974 in Philadelphia so this was a release that I just had to have. I was beginning to panic until I saw your post in the transaction went through but still keep my fingers crossed until the package arrived . I’ll keep Park Ave CDs on my radar they did a great job and again thank you for taking the time to share that on the thread.

jhm likes this.
  17. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

They get around it because they are independently owned.

19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

By that reasoning then HMV/Fopp in the UK and FYE in the US should also now be allowed to participate as they are owned by independently owned Sunrise!

LivingForever likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Gave this a first spin today. Really enjoyed it. I like the "warts and all" presentation, sometimes the moment trumps anything lacking in sound quality. A wonderful document of a tour tired Bowie.

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes I enjoyed it all. Very bootleggy and a tired Bowie. A good document to have officially. I saw Bowie in 73 once but he did not return to the UK until 1976. A very different Bowie from 73.

jhm, skisdlimit, Glenn coates and 3 others like this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Order from Music Zone arrived last night...haven't had a listen but the overall packaging of ChangesNowBowie is beautiful. But as others have said the typeface on both releases is impossible to read.

AlienRendel likes this.
  23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  24. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

My Banquet delivery of CNB arrived today - they included a note apologising for the delivery delay due to demand of orders which was a nice touch

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The thing is, BCV (Bowie Coke VOice) does make some individual songs unlistenable, relegating this disc (possibly, YMMV) to the "For completists only" bin. There's a place for karmaman's verdict on the thing, which I only partially agree with, but what is remarkable is how DB and the band work with reality staring them in the face. I dreaded how "It's Gonna Be Me" was gonna sound based on the first half, not because that particular song is so precious, but it really is the cornerstone of just about any Soul Tour boot, and answers the question "Why bother with this leg?" If he's gonna croak and not croon, I don't wanna know. But they judiciously used their great backing vocal crew and knocked it out. It's a noteworthy achievement, but I'm still relieved and happy that there's a version on "Cracked Actor".

And while I mind David Sanborn a lot less than most here, I still have to ask, "Echo? Why echo? And why so much?"(And as I re-listen, now, they lay it on thick on LV during "Jean Genie". Ew.)

Anybody know why he didn't take along female backing vox on the main DD tour? Would have made "David Live" much closer to the product he wanted (I think). THere's no point on "Cracked Actor" or this release where I think they're a bad idea; rather, they're just making everything moar better.