David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

For all still waiting ... someone posted it on YT

2. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

What number post was the sound sample on this thread? It was the entire album, it said "Bowie has left the building." and then it played David Live. I thought it was all from the new album!

There was a post on this thread with the entire album to listen to. I remember you couldn't rewind, just listen through. I can't find it now. What number post was that please.

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I don’t really have any issues with the sound. As a live document of/from that era, I’m thrilled to have this on vinyl. But the second record has significant edge warping in 2 places that under most circumstances would cause me to return it (no issues at all with the first record btw). Fortunately it doesn’t really impact the sound and because it’s on the edge, once you’re a couple of minutes into the record, the warp doesn’t effect the tone arm and stylus at all but even so, way way way too much sloppiness these days where record pressing is concerned.

timnor and IanM007 like this.
  4. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Mine has warps too. Record one it’s approx. 2mm deflection at the highest point. Fortunately, it’s a ‘gradual’ warp so isn’t audible at all. The second record has a very slight warping but again not audible. Tried to return it to Vinyl Guru but they had no stock left, so decided to keep it. Any replacement might always be worse, and it might be an audible glitch next time. Disappointing that an LP at this price point has any QC problems at all though. It’s the main reason I very seldom by modern vinyl now (that and the whole digital transfers on vinyl thing, I'd rather skip that stage and keep it ‘pure’ and stick to a CD, unless it’s been brick-walled & the vinyl hasn’t of course). A terrific gig though and I’ve been playing it a lot.

timnor likes this.
  5. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

Is there already a thread about the sound quality and packing of either the LP or CD? Otherwise, anyone can give feedback on this?

6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The information is here, just hard to find. Dynamic range is good but the original recording isn’t very good. CD packaging is basic, similar to the lp but small.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Unfortunately, Parlophone produce the worst vinyl I have ever come across.

8. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

this is pretty awesome, davids voice is a little tattered but the shows great

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have the CD, and honestly it's a bit of a fail. There's text in the gatefold that is ridiculously small. Otherwise it's extremely ordinary, just missing the moniker of "perfunctory".

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I still like it a lot but I agree it actually brings out how special "David Live" is, warts and all

Colinjpush likes this.
  11. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

12. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

There are lots of comments about it on this thread. As Vaughan said, the text is stupid-small on the CD. IMO this one is for serious fans only. The performance is actually really good, but David's voice isn't in great shape, and it's not a professional recording intended for release. Your enjoyment will depend on how sensitive you are to these factors. It's much better than bootleg quality, and for me it's enjoyable and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Sounds like they have a vendetta against you, nothing wrong with mine.

innuendo141, scobb and AlienRendel like this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have two copies of the vinyl. Both discs warped on both copies.

15. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Looks like it’s not only me, judging by some of the previous responses regarding their pressings.

Fill Your Head and CBackley like this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

parlophone is not a vinyl pressing plant.

Nightswimmer and jimhb like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yesterday I found "ChangesNowBowie" completely unexpected in a local store. Since it was only 23€ I took it, not knowing what to expect. Wow! This is a fantastic performance that could easily be three times longer. Great pressing and artwork as well. Definitely one of the better Bowie RSD releases!

Rob Byrne, timnor, weirdoc and 7 others like this.
  18. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

The last track side B on my ChangeNowBowie has sound distortion (the worst in my collection). It’s warped also. I ordered new (linear) needle, will test.

19. Tube Roller

Tube Roller Well-Known Member

Bumping this as I found a sealed vinyl copy of this, at the original RSD price (35) in the wild today. I was a little disappointed with the sound quality of the 2nd show stuff on side 4 - it really sounds like a boot - but the rest of it is good. The arrangements are cool and the background singers kind of overwhelm David at times. That might of been on purpose, as a way to carry Bowie and his shot voice through the show.

Glenn coates, Neonbeam and scobb like this.
  20. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Thanks for the bump. A great performance indeed, and an interesting phase of his career. I agree about the sound quality at time, but beggars can't be chooses as far as I'm concerned. One of my favourites of Bowie's at the moment. What are your highlights?

TRACKS:

SIDE ONE

1. Introduction – Memory Of A Free Festival

The hoard of backing vocalists take on this Space Oddity closer as the announcer blasts: “From Ziggy Stardust to Aladdin Sane it’s the Diamond Dog himself DAVID BOWIE” as he enters the stage….

2. Rebel Rebel

Bowie sings very well but his voice sounds shredded already, although he and the band sound like they’re having so much fun it doesn’t matter. It is well documented that the cocaine intake was rampant. This is unrecognisable from the Diamond Dogs version; the backing vocals are front and centre and Sanborn’s sax prominent, a constant theme for the majority of the show. 7/10

3. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again)

Disco-influenced and fresh reworking of the 1972 track, Bowie had only just recorded this and was pencilled in to open the new album. On the lengthy outro the backing singers repeat “Dancing woo woo woo-oo” as Bowie jams. 7

4. Sorrow

Bowie’s vocals are drenched in delay on this Pin Ups cover. A pleasant surprise to have Sorrow rolled out in such a lovely restrained soulful version with this band. A rare sighting Sorrow, and it wasn’t on David Live either. 9

5. Changes

Bowie’s voice is not at it’s best although he doesn’t miss a note on this Hunky Dory classic. The band sound good particularly bandleader Mark Garson on piano. Not dissimilar to the arrangement on the previous Ziggy tour. 7

6. 1984

The song that pointed towards Bowie’s new direction on Diamond Dogs. A faithful rendition, opened the show earlier in the tour, was already old news in Bowie’s eyes. Bowie had already dropped Sweet Thing and Big Brother from the set. 6

SIDE TWO

1. Moonage Daydream

Again Bowie’s voice is incomparable to his booming rock timbre just one year prior, or even his commanding baritone of just a couple of years later. Case in point: “I’ll be a rock and rolling BITCH for you”, Bowie sings and performs it well although his voice sounds thin and shredded, without the power, and its a strange soulful reworking on a glam-rock classic. Earl Slick adds a fine guitar solo. 6

2. Rock ’n’ Roll With Me

Superb moment in the concert performance. This underrated song in the Bowie canon suits the band and feel of the show. Bowie is exchanging a rose with a fan in the front row: “Be careful of the thorns.” Then a charming announcement to the audience after the first chorus: “This is our last night in Detroit but good evening. We’ve had a very lovely week, and you’ve been lovely, and I’ve enjoyed myself thank you.” Then into the second verse seamlessly. More delay on Bowie’s vocal in the outro – not sure if this has been added post-production. 9

3. Love Me Do / The Jean Genie

Bowie introduces The Jean Genie as being written in Detroit, then strangely into Love Me Do. Some fine harmonica from the man himself replacing the sax which is a relief. Massive vocal delay again although this concert staple works well with the band including another blistering lead solo from Slick. 7.5

4. Young Americans

A brand new track and the first in a run of new songs. The audience would’ve been hearing these Young Americans numbers for the first time, and this is faithful to the album version released in 1975. 10

SIDE THREE

1. Can You Hear Me

“That song, like the next two songs, that will be with you next year sometime, and I want to do them for you. These are two love songs, something I do know something about.” A highlight of the show, and a highlight of Young Americans. 10

2. It’s Gonna Be Me

A lovely track inexplicably left off Young Americans for the Beatles cover (Across the Universe), Bowie obviously rated this live show staple. Another concert highlight. Carlos Alomar is all over this fine subtle performance. Bowie’s singing at it’s best on these quieter more soulful numbers, at one stage he introduces a mercifully short sax solo with: “Mr Sanborn….” 10

3. Somebody Up There Likes Me

An underrated track in the Bowie repertoire, this Young Americans side two opener is a super inclusion in the show and again works well with this band. His voice is in career best shape on that album, although unfortunately again he’s sounding thoroughly bushed. “Somebody Up There Likes You!” 9

4. Suffragette City

A sax driven Ziggy rave-up soul style. Surprisingly great. Bowie’s having fun despite forgetting the words in the first verse, and regularly laughs throughout the song. 9

SIDE FOUR

1. Rock ’n’ Roll Suicide

The climax to the Ziggy show and album is rolled out in soul style although a bit ponderous here – interestingly he throws in “All you gotta do is Win” a few times, perhaps the genesis of that Young Americans classic. 7

2. Panic In Detroit

The samba of this Aladdin Sane track gives way to a more funked-up version. Can’t really go wrong with this song. 8

3. Knock On Wood

4. Footstomping / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate / Footstomping

5. Diamond Dogs / It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I like It) / Diamond Dogs

The encores were taken from the Municipal Auditorium, Nashville on 30th November, 1974 and are a lot of fun and go by in a blizzard of cocaine. You can here the yet to be written or recorded Fame loud and clear in Footstomping an obvious inspiration if not a direct rip. Bowie sang backup vocals on the Stones album title track, which he throws in here during a fine performance of Diamond Dogs. 8

The Mike Garson Band:

Earl Slick – Guitar

Carlos Alomar – Guitar

Mike Garson – Piano, Mellotron

David Sanborn – Alto sax, flute

Emir Ksasan – Bass

Dennis Davis finished the 1974 tour on drums.
    Tony Newman (First Leg: June/July) – David Live in Upper Darby, July 1974
    Greg Errico (Second Leg: Sep) – Cracked Actor in LA, September 1974
    Dennis Davis (Final Leg: Oct-Dec)

Backing vocals – Warren Peace, Anthony Hinton, Luther Vandross, Ava Cherry, Robin Clark and Diane Sumler.

...more

21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Spot on. The Young Americans tracks are definitely the highlight.

And yes, the exclusion of the beautiful and heartfelt It’s Gonna Be Me from the album is inexplicable.

22. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

The announcer was Geoff MacCormack (Warren Peace); Bowie's life-long friend.

Also, it was not so strange to medley Love Me Do with Jean Genie: Bowie had been doing that - intermittently - since he first started playing the song live and this continued throughout his career.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Glenn coates and croquetlawns like this.
  23. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Where the band allowed on stage for this one or stuck behind the screen?

24. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

The fancy sets had been dropped by this stage in the tour.

jhm, Vaughan, Br3tto and 4 others like this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

As a new RSD dawns, this release is available as a 24/96 hi-res download.
    (11-jun-21)

Runicen, WeeSam, Fractured and 5 others like this.