David Bowie Is: Brooklyn Museum Exclusive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

These idiots who run these things spoil it for everyone, some clowns are going back every day and basically stealing stuff from other fans and not paying to go into the exhibition ( as they don't need to ) its down to the museum or the people overseeing all these, somebody need to be accountable !

2. Stealing stuff ? It’s a public gift shop.

Sure I hope the keep up inventory throughout the run ( I’m going in May) , but saying folks are essentially stealing seems a bit over the top.

FrixFrixFrix, TonyCzar and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

I mean basically people buying loads of Bowie stuff and selling on eBay for grossly inflated prices.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well....if people wouldn't pay these prices then other people wouldn't "steal stuff from other fans" (aka "buy at the museum gift shop")

It's RSD syndrome, it's ugly but it's legal. And it won't go away.

BTW: Nothing of these new exclusives qualifies as essential. So life will probably go on:uhhuh:

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Hm. (Speaking for myself here...) I haven't listened to that low-energy title song since the release of ANCIANT. (But oh, the things I endure for art) so I listened to the entire Berlin EP. Not with bells on, mind you. I thought the three-track version of the EP on Tidal was underwhelming. Wasn't expecting much.

But like I said -- I listened to "Heroes" from Berlin, and found it just wonderful and sounded right and fresh and new (which it was and through the miracle of unearthing tapes and sticking to vinyl rips, is). Which makes sense for reasons.

And the 8-track trip as a whole is a judicious compromise between the original out-of-whack "Stage" concept and the more traditional, subsequent "proper show order, 'Bowie Alive!'" version, and also, the eight songs chosen and sequenced are a really great presentation - a partial but satisfying snapshot of one night on the road.

Perhaps the whole thing will be made redundant by "Welcome to the Blackout", and this EP won't be essential except to completists. But it is very very good.

Stone Turntable and Strontian like this.
  6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

7. Strontian

Strontian Forum Resident

With the help of a colleague who was in NYC last week on vacation I finally managed to get my hands on both the Live in Berlin LP and Time 7". iSelect was long gone in both museum shop and the exhibition sales area.

[​IMG]

8. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Steve Guttenberg urging folks to go see the exhibition.

"...Bowie was an amazing dancer ... ". :unhunh:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

I hope that the orange vinyl of that Berlin concert is still available in the museum shop?

10. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It is.

11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Lincoln would cancel to see Bowie.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Only if Bowie was reciting the Ziggysburg Address:

Four score and seven years ago, Ziggy played guitar ...

;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    DHamilton and dead of night like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You need to attend the show to access the Museum shop correct?

14. Arnold Grove

There are two stores: (1) one in the museum shop, to the right of the main entrance/exit, that is BEFORE the admission area (so you do NOT have to pay admission to visit this shop); and (2) another shop in the sales area INSIDE the museum at the exhibit on the 5th floor (which requires admission).

TonyCzar likes this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks. I will be in Brooklyn on April 1. Not sure how close the Museum is to where I’ll be, but I may try to swing by.

16. Arnold Grove

April Fool's Day, hmmm... ;)

What borough are you staying in? The Brooklyn Museum is very easy to get to from most of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Staying in midtown, heading to Brooklyn on Sunday afternoon to watch the tanking contest between the Brooklyn Nets and the Detroit Pistons.

Erick Haight likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

The Museum is about 1 mile south of the Barclays Center. Just walk down noisy Flatbush Avenue to Prospect Park and hook a left on Eastern Parkway.

19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Anyone listened to Berlin 78 and would like to share thoughts on performance and sound? I am nowhere near Brooklyn so won't be getting it but interesting just the same.

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

There's a vinyl rip still up on YouTube:

and, buried in the comments section, a link pointing to the lossless (44.1kHz/32bit floating point) source for it.

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’m here at the museum and will be entering the exhibit shortly. Just an FYI to those in NYC or planning to visit. The gift shop in the lobby entrance which is open to the public with no admission has the exclusive vinyl pressings as well as t-shirts, Aladdin Sane prints (smal and $$$) and the catalog. I opted to purchase my records there in the advice if the ckerk who said rhey sometimes run out by the end of the day. There is a limit of 2 copies of each exclusive per buyer. The live recird is $25, the single $15.

22. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I was in NYC last week and was able to see the Bowie show on a weekday for the amazing low price of $12, the senior rate. Run, don't walk, to see this show. This is a timed admission ticket. Tip: get the earliest possible time, preferably when the museum opens at 11, because the line to be admitted to the exhibits has been known to back up. I was not that much of a Bowie fan before I saw the show but my eyes were opened as to his genius.

ralphb, JannL, Tanx and 1 other person like this.
  23. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

I went to the V&A in London on the very first day of the very first exhibition, firstly I cant remember any vinyl for sale , if there was I would have bought it and secondly there was no rush, you spend as long as possible in the exhibition, this didn't change as I went again a month or two later.

24. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

We spent 4 hours in there last week... great stuff to see.
    Plenty of the special edition vinyl still there as well

25. Because most folks aren’t wack-a-doodle vinyl folks They are mostly streaming. So probably not a mad rush for Records at museums

We here are not a good gage of the civilian Music loving population :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.