David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Looks like that will indeed be offered digitally (perhaps you'll have to wait for a discount code), at up to 96/24 resolution

David Bowie: Loving the Alien (1983-1988) box set break-outs

Physical

Let's Dance (remaster) 1 LP / 1CD

Serious Moonlight (Live ’83) 2CD

Tonight (remaster) 1 LP / 1CD

Never Let Me Down (remaster) 1 LP / 1CD

Glass Spider (Live Montreal ’87) 2CD

Digital

Let's Dance (remaster) - Format: 192/24 / 96/24

Serious Moonlight (Live ’83) - Format: 192/24 / 96/24

Never Let Me Down - Format: standard digital Japanese version

Never Let Me Down (2018) - Format: 96/24

Glass Spider (Live Montreal ’87) - Format: 192/24 / 96/24

Dance - Format: standard digital

Please note: There are no hi-res releases for the remastered versions of ‘Tonight’ and ‘Never Let Me Down’. Also, ‘Dance’ is standard digital only

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I hope you are indeed right, and I will be able to buy the NLMD 96/24 standalone come February, but the "digital" part of the press release is a little on the confusing side. (At least nothing currently says "Digital box only") The whole thing is a bit confusing, frankly, unless you consider that they probably want to continue to move physical boxes after February has come and gone.

And, too, they are certainly breaking pattern by allowing 5 physical CDs to all drop standalone on the same day from 1 box, so perhaps there will be a break with a few of their digital traditions, too. Fingers crossed.

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't see a hi-res digital "box" listed here, just individual albums

As has been increasingly clear with each new rollout, there is no "tradition" and everything is on a case by case basis

Like, when have Parlophone previously offered a digital edition of region-specific Bowie album variation (Japanese NLMD)?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Does that mean Japanese Girls included ? That would be daring...

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes the Japanese language version of "Girls" will presumably be included on that (it wasn't even on Re:Call 4)... but probably not "Too Dizzy"!

6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Thing is, for the people saying, well you can just stream it, well yeah, but you can just stream NLMD 87 too, so why bother releasing that on a physical CD too. I am sure they could sell a lot of NLMD redux if they sold it separately, they are happy to resell

All the hype about this collection has been that the original is not what Bowie wanted, yet that is the one they are selling to the general public.

And some people want to OWN things, not just BORROW them via streaming, I don't know what that is such a hard concept for some.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The tracklist provided in the PR blurb seems to just be for the CD.

But there's still plenty of mystery, like: is this a 2018 remaster? What IS this?

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They need to keep the Bowie-approved configuration in print on physical media, and the remixes won't compete with or replace those in physical media stores

Those people are in luck, they can buy the hi-res as a standalone according to the official listing above. Bowie surely wanted to rerecord the album, but probably not to delete all the original mixes forever

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

blurb sez:

The break-outs include the three studio albums, Let’s Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down on vinyl LP, CD and various digital formats, plus the two live albums: Serious Moonlight (Live ’83) and Glass Spider (Live Montreal ’87) on CD and digital formats. In addition, the compilation album, Dance (which features twelve remixes), will be available on standard digital.
    So it looks to me like

1) There will be no standalone "Dance" CD.

2) "Dance" will be available on "standard digital".

"standard digital" has traditionally meant (of course) "no higher than 44.1/16", and has often referred to iTunes and Amazon lossy boxes.

3) NLMD(2018) is not available standalone physical CD. They are thus keeping their "box only" promise about the CD.

4) NLMD(2018) (digital) is not enumerated in the list of "break outs" in the above paragraph. That doesn't mean it's not going to happen, but...

It's 2019. Maybe they should learn the fundamentals of a "Table" tag in HTML and show a title vs. format grid with a little dot for "Available/Not Available".

The "Digital" part of the press release is as clear as mud, in part because (in the US at least) there has not been a 44.1/16 complete download available, only lossy AAC/MP3. Obviously, a complete lossless box has already seen the light of day in Europe.

I'm happy either way: to pick out the live albums+NLMD(2018) one by one; or to be "forced" to buy the live ones in 24/96 because NLMD and shell out for a "Let's Dance" I don't want. If it goes the latter way, it will be as close to a custom digital box for Tony as they've gotten so far.

10. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

They won't in the forseeable future, but I'd bet anything on stand-alone Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider shows from different dates in the nearer future.

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

See, to me, the following:

Digital

Let's Dance (remaster) - Format: 192/24 / 96/24
    Serious Moonlight (Live ’83) - Format: 192/24 / 96/24
    Never Let Me Down - Format: standard digital Japanese version
    Never Let Me Down (2018) - Format: 96/24
    Glass Spider (Live Montreal ’87) - Format: 192/24 / 96/24
    Dance - Format: standard digital
    could even mean that a digital NLMD(1987) will only be available in the Japanese market.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Presumably it's the 2018 remaster with a 2019 remaster of "Girls (Japanese Version)" in the middle, where it was on the original Japanese CD
    Where does it say there will be a hi res box set? These are break outs, nothing else. NLMD 2018 remix will be one of those in hi-res

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's simple except that, technically, people who swear to their creator that they will never buy downloads do have a teeny teeny tiny point, which I only give begrudgingly, and that point is this: digital obliteration. Like vinyl has its risks (physical damage) which cause a long, slow decay, digital downloads carry the risk of a long lifetime, at the end of which you encounter some unforeseen circumstance which causes them to go "poof" in an instant. (To torture the metaphor, maybe you are missing one digital song from an album (Hi, 24/96 "Young Americans (gouster)!"), and that's like having a song on an old record album which is so damaged you avoid playing it.)

In either case, vinyl and download are kinda the same thing: Do a chart over time to see how many people still have a playable copy after 5 years. 10. 15. The only difference is the way they transform from a Thing to Not a Thing. Record companies would love you to rent epehemera for the rest of your life.

Cat People and johnnyyen like this.
  14. granola

granola Forum Resident

TonyCzar, Dark Horse 77 and ejluther like this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Thank you!

Glad I didn't settle in to finalize my fake box fake artwork. Things still in flux!

(Although, it seems that this download could still just be in the Japanese market, as I speculated yesterday....)

16. serj

serj Forum Resident

As I understand all new remasters are bad, much worse than original CD's? I'd like to buy Tonight.. but it is also very compressed and loud?

17. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

The original EMI America CD is absolutely perfect in terms of mastering. The newer one is just louder and ‘flatter’ sounding. No reason to go for it really if you have the choice.

sortvinyl and serj like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But if one chooses, Amazon has the physical products available for pre-order which were announced earlier this week. Expected date Feb. 15:

===========
    * Let's Dance (CD&Vinyl) ($14.98/$21.98)
    * Tonight (CD&Vinyl) ($14.98/$21.98)
    * NLMD (2018 remaster) (CD&Vinyl) ($14.98/$21.98)

* Serious Moonlight ($24.98 CD)
    * Glass Spider ($24.98 CD)
    ============

So, so far it all jibes with the official PR announcements about both the original box sets and the new "break-out"s

* no standalone physical media for "Dance!" (digital download will be available)
    * no standalone physical media for NLMD(2018) (96/24 digital download will be available)
    * no standalone physical or lossless digital for "Re: Call4" (not really news)
    * no standalone vinyl for the live albums.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Think there's nothing worse than "Dancing in the Street" by Bowie and Jagger?

Try the "soundalike" EP on Tidal: Dancing In The Street

walrus likes this.
  20. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

“Ok kid, this is your big moment. Go out there and knock ‘em dead”

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I should have been clearer. It's the 2018 remaster of the 1987 version.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

WTF was that??? :wtf:

23. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Just working way thru each cd and perusing the booklet - N Roger's comments on LD are quite interesting - he is doing that thing that TV does where we takes a lot of credit subtly away from DB for a number of outcomes - at least that is how I read his tone. I do like him a lot though and think LD would've been a lesser item without him.

Also of note was what went on with D Bramble and H Padgham changing roles and how HP essentially states that he could have made Tonight a better album if he had been in steering wheel from the start. Being a massive fan of Synchronicity, I wonder too.

Finally, DB comments in an interview that DWTBBoys was the direction he was wanting to head in, although I know few people who like it (I adore it myself) - Can we see that rockier, edgier progression happening with DIDO and the NLMD album moving into a harder area? He states he had becoming too 'musical' and wanted to move back towards 'experimentation.' Guess that makes GS track his attempt at that. I am really liking the sound on LD, T & NLMD so far - certainly more natural sounding that the ANCIENT box boombass mixes!

Eric_Generic and mishima's dog like this.
  24. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Question to vinyl owners : what about Tonight's sound quality? Is it enjoyable ?

25. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I haven’t read the LTA liner notes but I’ve got to agree that NR (and TV to a lesser extent) always seem to play up their own roles in interviews. Nothing wrong with that in itself -credit where credits due after all - but Nile dahling generally has little to say on Bowie’s own contribution in the studio.

Jupitermadcat and Cat People like this.