David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

YA is classified as Bowie’s Philly Soul Album. Luther Vandross(The Greatest Male Singer ever-IMO) was a Backup Singer for Bowie during this era.

Runicen likes this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I have a lot of love for Young Americans but, per the usual, even that happens through a warped lens for me since my first copy was the Ryko with the "Gouster" versions of some songs used. The real album never sounds right to me! :laugh:

3. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Did the 2018 vinyl of Never Let Me Down ever receive an individual release?

How's the SQ on the standard vinyl reissue version?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Jason W likes this.
  4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

croquetlawns and raye_penber like this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Listened to Re:Call 4 again today on CD. Surprisingly still holds up... a strong best-of-an-uneven-lot compilation

Mother and croquetlawns like this.
  7. Colocally

croquetlawns likes this.
  8. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Agreed. Re:Call 4 is a solid compilation of 80s material.

aphexj, croquetlawns and TonyCzar like this.
  9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

The best 'album' in the box!

aphexj likes this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

What do you mean by "properly"? Do you mean with the original track listing?

Colocally likes this.
  11. Colocally

Yes.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

That will likely never happen.

13. Colocally

Well I never said it would. The 87 issues are the only authentic ones though.

WeeSam, croquetlawns and Dreaddazzman like this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Actually, I agree with you. You can't go back, imo. Too Dizzy - which is not a good song - was part of the original release, you can't undo it now. Felt the same about My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno, I couldn't accept they removed Qu'Ran on the Special Edition. It's just wrong.

15. sdiez

sdiez Well-Known Member

Just finished listening the whole bunch and have to agree with some others that best album here is Re:Call 4
    Miss "Under pressure" though
    Anyway, if you have the other boxes I would buy this. Not his best but in the end it's Bowie, isn't it? The book is great also

croquetlawns and warewolf95 like this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's on Re:Call 3 — y'know, the box set that stops at 1982?

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, I'm so tired of Under Pressure. Like many others, I dug it plenty over the years, but now I've gotten over it. Even when Bowie played it with his own band (and Gail Ann Dorsey can really sing!) I now find it to sound like Bowie covering a Queen song. I guess it's the structure of the thing. It's not Modern Love levels of bad, but I really don't need to hear it again.

Not that stopped be buying this box. :D

Runicen and warewolf95 like this.
  18. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Modern Love is one of only two genuinely brilliant songs from the Sh1t Trilogy, the other being LTA. What do you think is so bad about Modern Love?

Warzawa likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I dislike everything about it. It's way too bouncy, and the lyrics are soooo annoying. It fits perfectly with what they were trying to achieve, but it gives me a headache. I hold it very much in the lower echelons of his songs, like he's trying too hard. That and the China Girl cover are the sound of Bowie flushing his credibility down the loo. IMO YMMV.

warewolf95 and SJP like this.
  20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Very well articulated opinion although I disagree. This is probably because for me, the Let's Dance album was sort of a gateway as a teenager as to my Bowie awareness given that I was a bit too young (and naive) to have really caught on with Scary Monsters or anything earlier. Bowie's credibility that he had built during the seventies meant nothing to me at the time and to a certain extent, this remains the case. I certainly do not hold the period covered by the "Loving The Alien" box in disdain as many others do.

21. sdiez

sdiez Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm expecting to receive that box this week. Pleasant surprise

croquetlawns and aphexj like this.
  22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I think modern love is a brilliant pop song. It encapsulates 1983 for me and I still love it. The production is immaculate and powerful. The arrangement and performances are tight and perfect. And the light and shade of the lyrics, and the darkness under the surface of them, it’s perfectly complemented by the bright and bouncy track.

23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I know it was a collaboration, but it will always and forever be a Queen song featuring David Bowie imo. Really dont care for Bowie playing it even though he was absolutely entitled to.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, exactly how I feel. It's not a bad song, but since he can't sing half of it (Freddie's range was obscene) it just isn't a Bowie song.... to my ears.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Some copies don’t even have Bowie listed as a performer on the single, I have this.

[​IMG]