David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. sdiez

sdiez Well-Known Member

It's a great Queen song and Bowie makes it greater. He adds a beautiful bassier tone to it.

long gone john likes this.
  2. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Sadly I have not heard any of the Box Sets (I know take away my Bowie card), I just dont have the $$$ to shell out for them, however I do have Let's Dance and i Have to say I love Modern Love , Loving the Alien , China Girl (both his and Iggy's version) and even the title track well the single version of the title track the album version not so much. In fact Let's Dance would be in my lower echelon of Bowie albums. I think I just didnt like all the instrumentals and or alt versions of stuff. My first exposure to David Bowie was his narration of Peter and the Wolf from 1978 that was my gateway it was like 1982 or 83 when i first heard it. I was 8 or 9. Good times lol.

I can understand burning out on Under Pressure, I feel the same way about Let's Dance (the single version)

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The only two Bowie albums I've never owned is Peter Wolf, and the Christiane F soundtrack. I think the latter is just tracks from the Stage and Low, right?

4. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Christiane F. is hardly an essential purchase, but it makes for a surprisingly good playlist, drawing from Low, Heroes, Stage, and Lodger, with a few unusual things thrown in (the full-length "Heroes/Helden", the single edit of "Stay", the live "Station to Station").

DTK, croquetlawns, scobb and 3 others like this.
  5. 22 ziggies

22 ziggies Forum Resident

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Fabrice Outside and scobb like this.
  7. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Baal is on my wantlist

8. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Happened to come across this video where David's wife shows her house and some objects, plus she reveals some of the lyrics for "Heroes" were inspired by the book A Grave For A Dolphin, which they both loved. So ... move over Tony !

andycherry, mgb70, Groovy and 9 others like this.
  9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Fixed. :shh:

aphexj and Rant423 like this.
  10. 22 ziggies

22 ziggies Forum Resident

True, but it's a Remembering Mark Feld Records release compiled by Wernher v. Braun & Konrad Zuse. And where else do I find Lieb' Mich Bis Dienstag?

Luckily I didn't break any law when I purchased it

11. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

I'm hesitant to ask this question but can anyone PM any listings they may be aware of that appear to be officially legit for this set? I've been hesitant to pull the trigger several times as I do not wish to reward a bad actor amongst other obvious reasons.

I'd be much obliged. . .thanks.

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Feh. I listed TWO 12"s in the marketplace in 2020. Couldn't give 'em away.

13. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I dont do vinyl, bad enough i got a ton of cds i dont have access too cuz of space lol, Itunes has it for like 6 bucks , Id prob collect vinyl if I had the $$$$ and the space to keep them in

croquetlawns and moomoomoomoo like this.
  14. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Did the 12" have an inner sleeve? I got a nice 7" import back in the day in a gatefold sleeve -- never investigated the 12".

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I had it at one time. I THINK the inner sleeve was white paper.

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There are two versions, one has a gatefold sleeve like the 7", the other has half the info from the gatefold sleeve on an inner sleeve, one is French, one is German.

There was also a 10" version released a few years ago.

croquetlawns and TonyCzar like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I know I had a USA 12"

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Don't remember.

19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

You really think that! "normal" people (outside nutty jobs like us) will really want to immerse themselves in a re-recording of one of the less loved Bowie album? I See it as a fantastic bonus. As a stand-alone product, not sure it has a market.

scobb, croquetlawns and Runicen like this.
  20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I am saying that if they think it is how it should be, then that is the version that most people should be able to buy. As it is, I think the rerecording is crap.

21. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

HiRes with that kind of dynamic range?s it in any way useful? True quuetion.

scobb likes this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

There's always room for 24 bits.

23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The problem here, for this time period, is that the original cds and records have the dynamics intact so IMO, if you’re looking for the best sound, this box, even in 24 bit, would not the place to start.

TonyCzar and croquetlawns like this.
  24. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

finally pulled the trigger on a sealed box (quite expensive) last week. was just delivered. i know i should verify that the discs are gold. the length matches that of my brilliant adventures box. anything else i should be aware of with this set? i don't recall there being a faulty disc (i.e. heroes). thanks.

Lewisboogie and croquetlawns like this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You'll be getting three versions of the NLMD album, (almost four if you count the live GS tracks) and they're all incomplete. Sending strength.