David Bowie - Metrobolist (The Man Who Sold The World) 50th anniversary edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynaflex vinyl or no sale for me! ;)

SBK, Grootna, John Bliss and 8 others like this.
  2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

actually yeah it is....VERY early in the message too....

Sean, fishyboots and tug_of_war like this.
  3. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Hard pass on this release....just glad it's not another stupid re-release of Space Oddity this time!!!....

joeislive likes this.
  4. FlyingTeapot

FlyingTeapot Well-Known Member

Another annoying thing is the ‘lucky dip’ of vinyl colours

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Very cynical and tacky.

quicksrt, alexpop, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm not sure I really understand this one.
    If it is getting remixed, may as well 5.1 it... there's nothing wrong with the original stereo mix...
    A head scratcher

Tristero likes this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Definitely not an album which needs a remix. But then again, Lodger probably didn't need it either and the remix is really good.
    Anyway, I'm not falling for this one.

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Amen. And yet they could easily sell a 200 dollar box set of the next set of albums and many would be satisfied. Starting to think they are holding the remaining album box sets hostage until they completely scrape the bottom of the barrel and have nothing else to offer with a straight face:D

Mikewest and FlyingTeapot like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd be far more excited with a big deluxe set, but I'll probably get this for craps 'n' giggles.

I think "MWSTW" sounds fine as is, though! :shrug:

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. coltranes

coltranes Forum Resident

Yes - I have been wondering whether this is trailing a bigger announcement, just as those demos boxes did last year. I guess I’m jumping the gun in lamenting no followup to Conversation Piece. It could still happen.

fishyboots and Bink like this.
  11. coltranes

coltranes Forum Resident

Yes, the DD package was good. It was preceded by similar packages for Ziggy and Aladdin, but with slightly different packaging concepts.

croquetlawns and tug_of_war like this.
  12. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. Matty

Matty Senior Member

My understanding has been that Bowie's cocaine problems didn't start until 1974 or so, but the fact that he originally wanted to call this album "Metrobolist" suggests that his battles with pharmaceutical demons began several years earlier.

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Maybe he was inspired by other people's demons. He was a "collector".

marc with a c and Matty like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I never knew that Metrobolist was the title until the last minute or that Bowe had something to do with that horrible sleeve.
    I have the LP with the superb black and white Ziggy kick photo on the cover. The darkness of it perfectly matched the music within I always thought. I also have the Ryko version on cassette with the bonuses.
    I never bought it on CD so this might be a good occasion. I'd be interested to hear this Visconti remixes.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I never knew that Metrobolist was the title until the last minute or that Bowe had something to do with that horrible sleeve.
    I have the LP with the superb black and white Ziggy kick photo on the cover. The darkness of it perfectly matched the music within I always thought. I also have the Ryko version on cassette with the bonuses.
    I never bought it on CD so this might be a good occasion. I'd be interested to hear this Visconti remixes.

Dan Steele and tug_of_war like this.
  17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

That Ziggy cover is a great picture but it doesn't feel like the right picture for that album for me as it was from a different era.

phillyal1 and tug_of_war like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The black cover is my favourite one too, by far. I thought it looked incredibly cool when I was a kid and didn't know much about Bowie. The current remastered CD is very good. One of the ones that gets praised here.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think the dress cover looks too hippyish. To me it doesn't suit the hard rockin' album. The kick sleeve is the wrong era but it looks rock 'n' roll.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hardly. The Ziggy album came out 18 months after TMWSTW. It was all a mixture of folky and raunchy rock. Also, Ziggy had Width Of A Circle and The Supermen in his repertoire.

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sounds like Visconti's strategy now is to release every album Bowie even thought of making.

I assume Low with its original title (New Songs: Night & Day) and some alternate mixes is next.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  22. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Originally posted in the Box Set 5 speculation thread -

“After all” this wait (pun intended), feeling pretty disappointed that the November release announcement is for a partially remixed, retitled MWSTW with an alternate cover slapped on it. MWSTW is one of my favorite Bowie albums and I'm at least happy that the 2015 remaster is probably the best of the original album remasters put out by Parlophone, I see no need for this release.
    No shade to those looking forward to this remix, I’m just not one of them, perhaps if it had some bonus material. And tbh I’m pretty Visconti’ied out at this point.

weirdoc, Sean, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  23. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

I initially passed on Conversation Piece but eventually caved due to the amount of new archival material and positive user comments regarding the packaging. Can't see myself caving for this one though. I'll stream the remix once but that's about it I'd imagine.

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Agreed! Always thought the same. And the first time I had this album was in the early 80s with the RCA cassette cover which was the kick picture, so I guess I got used to that from an early age.

Hoping they release this with a standard black vinyl option too. Getting tired of tacky coloured vinyl 'exclusives'.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I said earlier I'd get it but that does depend on price. If it's $15 or less, I'm in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.