David Bowie - Metrobolist (The Man Who Sold The World) 50th anniversary edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

When I was a kid I thought that was the original cover. It was the one I used to see in the CDs mail order catalogue.
    It was disappointing to me when I found out the real original cover. It's a lot worse

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I've always loved this title. "The man who sold the world"

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Cane Hill Hospital

I'd rather play here...

Grootna, ziggytvs, Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

How does the neologism 'metrobolist' suggest 'battles with pharmaceutical drugs'? I presume it's a combination of the words metro and metabolism – neither of which seem to have anything to do with drug abuse.

mikmcmee, quicksrt and ODShowtime like this.
  5. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

It's maybe my favorite Bowie album (I get antsy seeing any mention of it anywhere :D). I didn't mind Visconti's Lodger remix at all, but like with most albums I mainly listen to the orig. I can already hear She Shook Me Cold sounding different and I dunno. .. I do agree with others that these type releases are coming at us frequently, and the more liberties that are taken by mere mortals designing packages/making creative decisions may not ever reach Hendrix proportions, but man they're sure headed that way.

mikmcmee and Purple Jim like this.
  6. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Yeah, I guess there are those who would say "What does HE know "

7. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I think this cover is the most appropriate for the lyrics. I do like it, especially with the text in the speech bubble. I don't really understand what is meant by Metrobolist, but I do like the sleeve, referring to Terry (albeit accidentally if you believe that - I don't). The dress cover is probably replicated inside the gatefold so you get both. Cane Hill got demolished and turned into a housing estate or something IIRC. I'm a bit annoyed that Parlophone are continuing this coloured vinyl pot-luck thing which must only be to encourage OCD fans to buy more than one copy of the record. It's a bit low-grade morality IMO.

mikmcmee, Pali Gap and FlyingTeapot like this.
  8. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Not sure why the shady response. Are you saying the original does not have a bass heavy sound to it? And that Visconti hasn't remixed the catalog to sound "new and shiny". Maybe I'm just not using the approved SHF verbiage but the point should have come across.

Johnta7, fishyboots and Curveboy like this.
  9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Not in the first link mentioned. Apologies.

Tim

10. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

They’re a record company. It’s their job to sell records. I can resist the temptation to buy five copies to get all of the different colors. I may not buy this at all, just because the “original” sleeve art is so laughably bad. I’m sure some fans will do what it takes to get all of the different colors.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

The original is not really what i would call really muddy.

Mikewest likes this.
  13. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Something about this release also feels deceiving to the average music fan.
    Anyone know if the song titles are on the back of the original artwork that the Metrobolist is styled after? If not, I wonder how many music fans (who aren’t as active on forums) are going to walk into their local record store thinking they’re buying something new or unreleased because of the alternate title and cover.
    I hope there is at least a sticker on the front that states this is simply a fancy package for a (questionably) pointless remix of 8 of the 9 MWSTW tracks.

Leviathan and gomen ne like this.
  14. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Not a swipe at you. Sorry if it was a bit crass. Your point came across. It's just that I wish they hadn't bothered doing this. Yes it's a bass heavy mix but it isn't muddy and has always sounded great. I don't like what TV did to Lodger and dread to think what remixes of Diamond Dogs and Low are going to sound like if the trend continues. He should be proud that they got it right the first time. And despite the history behind it, that title and artwork is pure dreadful.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    footprintsinthesand likes this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Is anyone who isn’t on this or other music forums really going to walk into their local record store and shell out $25 for any vinyl LP? And if someone is so ignorant that they don’t understand what they’re buying here, then it’s 99% likely that it will be new to them. No one who already owns and has listened to his or her vinyl copy of The Man Who Sold The World is going to be fooled by this. I was in my local record shop earlier today browsing through the Bowie section and saw they had a (bootleg?) version of the album with this cover. I wasn’t like “Oh my God, a new Bowie album I’ve never heard! I must buy this immediately!” More like, “Oh look, a collector bait bootleg pressing of yet another awful variant of The Man Who Sold The World cover.”

[​IMG]

16. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yes. It's not art, it's money.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s pop art. It’s commercial art. We get to buy the records because businesses exist that make records.

mikmcmee likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

guess he didn't know anything when he said it was crap, too

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was not a fan of the previous remix of Space Oddity, which I barely made it through once. I guess I'll pick this up... just because it has a different cover and name... but I feel like I'm getting schilled like a rube...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Mikewest, Lewisboogie and gomen ne like this.
  20. gomen ne

gomen ne -

But the purpose of their method in this instance and with the Space Oddity Remix is to get the loyal or OCD fans to buy multiple copies. It risks discouraging loyalty and curing OCD.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Fair enough. I guess I don’t get too precious about these releases and look at them for what they are; more product to sell to us crazy Bowie diehards. They certainly are not designed to replace the originals and no way do I feel they are essential to his legacy. But I love my original vinyl Lodger and Space Oddity, and then sometime I mix it up with something new and play the new mixes. The more the merrier for me!

Cokelike- and tug_of_war like this.
  22. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I suppose “muddy” wasn’t the best wording. Thick and meaty is much more appropriate! The original has balls for sure especially cranked up.

Dodoz likes this.
  23. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

But why will you buy everything they throw at you? I don't get it. Where's the enjoyment coming from?

24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Meaty? Well, I have the 1991 Rykodisc remaster and it sounds thin.

StormSignal likes this.
  25. sortvinyl

sortvinyl Forum Resident

I am just happy that they did not release this together with a cpl of outtakes or unreleased songs, making me have to buy another useless Visconti remix of a record that sounds perfect in its original version. In general I'm tired of having to buy the same records again and again to get the stuff that could have been released by itself, I know why they do it but still. So I am truly happy passing on this one.

weirdoc and ShockOfDaylight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.