David Bowie - Metrobolist (The Man Who Sold The World) 50th anniversary edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

19 x 26.2 cm is my estimate.

RoughAndRowdyWays and gamuzajoe like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They should have released Conversation Piece in this format. It could have been condensed to two discs as well. I'll be content if they stick to this format going forward, but what are the odds of that?

3. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

They could released like the McCartney boxes, various formats and a specific one for hardcore fans with unfinished things like Cyclops and Invader la la la songs

gamuzajoe likes this.
  4. SteveMaturin

SteveMaturin Forum Resident

Just had my subscriber copy of the May 2021 Record Collector delivered. Bowie on front cover. 14 page article inside. All TMWSTW related, Not had a chance to read yet (have to earn a living) but looks very detailed and interesting article with fresh interviews with Visconti, Ken Scott, Woody W and Rick Wakeman. Written by Daryl Easlea who is a great writer. His book on Sparks is fabulous.

5. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Am in process of comparing the sound and mixes of the 4 recent MWSTW vinyl versions.

Can anyone tell me if the Pic Disc German sleeve RSD from 2016 is the same mix as the 2015 Five Years box set mix? I don't have a Five Years vinyl box set to compare them both.

6. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

With the impending release of The Width of a Circle next month, I decided to try to give Metrobolist another chance. This time it was on headphones while going for walk, and with the remix aside, the mastering is a bit harsh, found myself turning it down throughout the walk. According to the DR database, looks like it has a DR of 9. Now according to the same source the 2015 remaster has a DR of 11, but sounds so much better (regarding the mastering). That is one of the best remasters Parlophone did, and instead of turning that one down, I keep cranking it up.
    What was the consensus on the mastering of Metrobolist, did many others find it a bit fatiguing as well? I’ve definitely heard worse, it’s just hard not to compare it to the recent remaster which is just a few years old. Would really like to see more consistency in the mastering department.

Cat People likes this.
  7. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

But to add to my last post, the mastering aside, the remix itself is growing on me. Not everything works, but I am starting to appreciate certain moments of it.

phillyal1 and GentleSenator like this.
  8. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

yes

Cat People likes this.
  9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Thanks for the Youtube clip, I've been wondering about this for a long time.

I can just hear (with headphones on) that first rythmic chord of the intro to "Saviour Machine" - mostly the mellotron. The beat. From 8 to 10 seconds into your video. Fascinating.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Could it be why a snippet of "Saviour Machine" is heard very faintly at the end of "The Supermen" on some versions of the album?

11. attfiecz

attfiecz Forum Resident

Dodoz likes this.
  12. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

The BBC sessions are 81 mins 26 seconds, a lot of talking in the Sunday show which I am pleased they included.

13. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

My Width of A Circle was posted yesterday afternoon so I’ve got everything crossed for an early delivery!!!

RoughAndRowdyWays likes this.
  14. RoughAndRowdyWays

RoughAndRowdyWays I'm an instant star. Just add water and stir.

Could we get pictures for size reference when/if your copy arrives early?

Duncan Day likes this.
  15. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I gladly would if it turns up but I can’t work out how you upload photos on here.

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If you own a ruler it's listed on amazon as:

14.1 x 19.51 x 2.01 cm

(It makes my size estimate further back way off)

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  17. RoughAndRowdyWays

No worries if not!

Bit larger than a standard DVD case. Hopefully we get a series of these as it’s going to look strange alone on my shelf lol!

mr.datsun likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Hopefully it wont get lost amongst people’s Coronation Street DVD boxsets.

19. RoughAndRowdyWays

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Picked this up on vinyl to get a version less hotly mastered than the digital. Probably won't ever play the original mix again. It sounds almost Sabbath-like in places (in the best way).

RubenH, perplexed and Spencer R like this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I had some free time this morning and spun the Parlophone dress cover reissue of Man Who Sold the World and the Metrobolist vinyl back to back. I have to say I found the Metrobolist more exciting. As @walrus just noted, this a super heavy guitar album, almost like Led Zeppelin or the Stooges, and whatever Visconti did on the remix works for me.

Beyond the sound quality issue, this album is, dare I say it, Bowie’s best album. Obviously overshadowed by Ziggy and all that came after it, but song-for-song, did he even put out a better album?

RubenH, attfiecz and walrus like this.
  22. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I've just listened to it on streaming a bit, and, I mean, to me at least, it doesn't sound very good. The material is great, but in comparison to my the 2010 debut 2-CD that I got a few months ago, the BBC stuff sounds much worse and the mono stuff must have been read with a stereo head because it separates a bit and it all just sounds worse.
    I'm not the only one thinking this am I?

23. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I'm just glad we are discussing actual sound quality now and not pages of postage issues.

WeeSam likes this.
  24. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Funny, the people who make nonsense claims of things being mastered hot can never identify something that is from a lossy source either.

[​IMG]

Curveboy likes this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I really thought the CD was better than the vinyl, which sounded wooly and congested to me. I enjoyed the new mix but still prefer the old one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.