David Bowie 'Moonage Daydream' IMAX concert documentary set for spring 2023 release (NEON/HBO)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

First details of Moonage Daydream film release

[​IMG]

NEON has landed the rights to release “Moonage Daydream,” a new feature film, concert documentary and “experiential cinematic odyssey” that follows David Bowie’s life and musical career and is the first sanctioned by Bowie’s estate. Brett Morgen is directing the film that is near completion and will feature Bowie’s own narration. Neon will release “Moonage Daydream” domestically, while Universal Pictures Content Group will release the film internationally, and HBO Documentary Films has North American rights for streaming and cable in spring 2023.

The film was designed from conception as a unique cinematic experience and will also be released in IMAX in select markets. The film will also be released in partnership with Public Road Productions, BMG, Live Nation Productions, and HBO Documentary Films.

“Moonage Daydream” illuminates the life and genius of David Bowie with a project that shows how Bowie himself worked across several disciplines, not just music and film but also dance, painting, sculpture, video and audio collage, screenwriting, acting, and live theatre. The film reveals the celebrated icon through his own voice and features 48 musical tracks, mixed from their original stems.

Morgen was granted access to Bowie’s archives by his estate in 2017 and presented him with master recordings as well as never-before-seen 35mm and 16mm reels of never-before-seen performances, all of which will appear on screen for the first time. In addition, all music in the film has been remixed from the original stems into Dolby Atmos, 12.0, 5.0, and 7.1/5.1...

...Bowie’s long-time collaborator, friend and music producer Tony Visconti also worked on the film alongside sound mixer Paul Massey and David Giammarco, sound design team of John Warhurst and Nina Hartstone and VFX Producer Stefan Nadelman, who worked with Morgen on his film “Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck."

head_unit, jacden, Grootna and 9 others like this.
  2. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

Man this looks like a super cool project. Excited to watch it!

EVOLVIST and longdist01 like this.
  3. This looks super stoned (of course Bowie was super stoned). I'm totally in! :agree:

longdist01 and Ghostworld like this.
  4. fluxkit

fluxkit Man-Machine

So it seems unclear to me. Are we to expect it in Imax theatres this year then streaming on HBO next year?

5. Brendan K

I surmise from the wording that NEON is distributing it in a limited theatrical/IMAX release, either alongside or shortly in anticipation of the HBO streaming, both during Spring 2023.

longdist01 and fluxkit like this.
  6. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Finally, some visuals from the vaults. Presumably this will feature the concert footage that’s incomplete, things from db Is that we all wish were tasters of full gigs but aren’t? Or will it be one massive trailer in effect for other releases? But, it still has to be said, what of the 50th (ish) anniversary album releases? Anyhow, this looks really interesting and if it explores his multi-disciplinary influences could be great.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. damien

damien Forum Resident

I know Montage of Heck was somewhat divisive but the way Morgen (and co) used live footage in Crossfire Hurricane was fantastic IMO. Looking forward to this!

Is that a brand new image Bowie btw? I love it.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

According to the director, Autumn 2022 for theaters/IMAX. Streaming in Spring 2023.

longdist01 and Brendan K like this.
  9. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Would love to see this in a theater--I'll keep an eye on this thread.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Brendan K

From Deadline: Neon Unspools New Footage [at CinemaCon] For David Bowie Cannes Film ‘Moonage Daydream’, Eyes Falls Release

"Those in the room got to see the music video for Bowie’s “Hallo Spaceboy,” which was filled with the singer’s dance-electronic pop-space coolness. Then a Bowie interview was shown.

“We remastered the music so each one of your theaters can provide experiences that audiences have never heard before.” [Morgen] said he spent two years scrolling through every piece of material in the Bowie archives to find the best and rarest.

The pic is getting a September [2022] release."

longdist01 and hi_watt like this.
  11. kilianltia

kilianltia Well-Known Member

Trailer just up. This is going to be massive. Also, the Stage footage looks astounding.

jacden, EVOLVIST, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  12. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

longdist01 likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Very cool and exciting to see this on IMAX screens later this year...mindblowing the footage used and David's narration!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  14. damien

damien Forum Resident

Jeez this is going to be fantastic i can feel it.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn. I can't see how this won't be a need yardstick to be measured against for music docs. I go hot and cold on Bowie over his career, but I want to see all of this!

carrick doone and longdist01 like this.
  16. The only film in a long, long while that will get me into a theater again. This looks and sounds dreamy! :agree:

longdist01 likes this.
  17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Ooh, looks like they found the film rushes for the music video of Jump! (The shot of DB walking down a hallway while wearing a blue suit). Maybe that video can be rebuilt in better quality now.

18. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

One to see at an imax, looking forward..

19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

20. jacden

jacden Forum Resident

21. jacden

jacden Forum Resident

22. jacden

jacden Forum Resident

23. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Paxo’s research didn’t even extend to pronouncing db’s name properly. Decades after it had even been a question. Db is quite magnanimous in the circs iirc.

I don’t think it took a genius to see what the net would do btw, but the difference is that, as ever, he’d thought about it and how he felt about it creatively. And though it will take some plenty time, his approach to it - enthusiasm followed by a carefully distanced managed usage - will prove to be right. Because he saw that a permanent flat level connectivity would destroy much of what makes humans great.

Anyway, looking forward to MD, hoping to see some dates soon.